Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Zach Clough

barryk32

As lightweight and frustrating as Clough could be, he has rare quality. Those finishes against Wigan, Wolves etc and the majestic free kicks weren't flukey 1 offs, they were evidence of a class finisher. Similar to Oztumer, if it was a none contact sport and the ball didn't go above head height they would walk into our team. Unfortunately it's also about pace, strength, height and tackling.

• Moderators

Doesn't really matter how downhill he's gone since, he was quality for us playing through the middle, anyone who thinks otherwise is on crack

Then he was stuck on the wing and told to hug the touchline

Then sold 

And for some reason never recovered

Clearly a confidence player who was a bit injury prone

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Doesn't really matter how downhill he's gone since, he was quality for us playing through the middle, anyone who thinks otherwise is on crack

Then he was stuck on the wing and told to hug the touchline

Then sold 

And for some reason never recovered

Clearly a confidence player who was a bit injury prone

This.

Feel sorry for Zach he was clearly BWFC through and through and sadly he was a sacrficial lamb slaughtered to save the club.  To be marketed and sold when you did not want to leave at such a tender age is mentally demoralising. I just hope he can rediscover his love of the game and show his true quality. Good luck ZC. 

22 hours ago, Sweep said:

Weren't some zoons on here suggesting he was a £10m player at one point?

Maybe allowed to develop where he was happy with 3-4 years experience he’d of been that 10 million player. See Danny ward and Mooy both probably in that bracket now and would not have though that when they were at Bolton. 

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Feel sorry for Zach he was clearly BWFC through and through and sadly he was a sacrficial lamb slaughtered to save the club.  To be marketed and sold when you did not want to leave at such a tender age is mentally demoralising. I just hope he can rediscover his love of the game and show his true quality. Good luck ZC. 

Sums up my thoughts well.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Maybe allowed to develop where he was happy with 3-4 years experience he’d of been that 10 million player. See Danny ward and Mooy both probably in that bracket now and would not have though that when they were at Bolton. 

I get that, but people were suggesting he was up at that value at the time we sold him.

Obviously her didn't want to go, but unfortunately he was just about the only thing that we had of any value, and his fee kept the club afloat - at the minute, it's looking like very good busienss for Bolton Wanderers, as no way was he going to be playing in his preferred position on a regular basis under PP.

Hopefully he can rediscover some form and go on to have a decent career  - he's 23 years old now, so it's certainly not too late for him, if he can't make an impression at Rochdale, then I fear for his future. The injuries he's picked up over the years certainly haven't helped his cause

'Making it' in football is a lot more than just having ability. There are many other things that you need no matter what position on the field you play - heart, strength, desire etc.

For whatever reason Zach is just not up to the physical side of the game and perhaps the injuries haven't helped.

Still time yet though but I suspect it may be a mental thing at the moment. 

He never was anywhere near as good as our fans made him out to be. He had promise, lots of ability. But had to find a way to make it count week in week out. His lack of physicality had to be compensated for, you have to be twice as good when you are that size and sadly he probably wasn't good enough.

I think he's a good league one player and that is his level.