Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parking ticket advice

worthy10

44 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

But if the car was written off, then the reg plate is being used illegally or as been cloned  

It’s only the insurance firm that writes it off I think. As in the cost of repair is over the worth of the vehicle. 

Which is not always the case one would presume. 

27 minutes ago, barryk32 said:

Your only responsibility is to put the slip in the postbox.
As long as you did you can tell the the DVLA to fuck spiders. They've lost it like they do millions of other documents every year.

If they dig their heels in though you haven’t a leg to stand on if you cannot prove you sent it.

I assume it is a fixed penalty notice rather than a standard parking ticket, given they won’t go through DVLA system usually - ticket on windscreen jobs. 

Is is it definitely for parking? Because you want to understand what is happening. If the police are issuing it because car has been parked dangerously or illegally then you need to get in touch immediately with the DVLA and come clean. If it’s a council FPN you need to check if it’s because car has been dumped somewhere or is being driven through bus lanes etc...

Bottom line is you need to get in touch with the DVLA and explain. You are liable for a fine for not informing them, but could try saying you sent it off.....at your own risk.

However, even a fine would be better than racking up a string of FPNs. 

3 hours ago, worthy10 said:

My son was in a car crash and his car was written off. He didn't tell DVLA that he was no longer the owner. There have been 2 parking ticket put on it since. So. He didn't park the car. Surely we can appeal this? 

Sorry mate......BUT......is it just me who thought of Parking Ticket as another of worthy’s random holiday requests :D

• Moderators
4 hours ago, worthy10 said:

My son was in a car crash and his car was written off. He didn't tell DVLA that he was no longer the owner. There have been 2 parking ticket put on it since. So. He didn't park the car. Surely we can appeal this? 

Assuming the parking tickets and the DVLA have got nowt to do with each other that's probably the approach I'd take

Prove/explain to the ones issuing the fines it was write off and it can't possibly be you

Hope they accept it

Then tell the DVLA, or tell them first, don't suppose that matters

Just hope the fine issuers are understanding

Is this why people clone reg plates then, so they can park where they want?

35 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Assuming the parking tickets and the DVLA have got nowt to do with each other that's probably the approach I'd take

Prove/explain to the ones issuing the fines it was write off and it can't possibly be you

Hope they accept it

Then tell the DVLA, or tell them first, don't suppose that matters

Just hope the fine issuers are understanding

Is this why people clone reg plates then, so they can park where they want?

I’d say Driving stolen cars, Making marked cars unmarked, Drug dealing, ferrying dead bodies about etc rather than parking on double yellows outside the bank :D

Edited by gonzo

about 12 years I traded in a car against a newer one, sent all the docs in etc, thought nothing more of it.

3 months later, knock on the door, old bill, the vehicle had been involved in a hit and run, and dvla still had me down as the owner. Fortunately, i had the receipt from the dealer who traded it in, otherwise I would have had a fight on my hands.

• Site Supporter

It's an old article but it was a 2 second search and the rules haven't changed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/5835910/No-need-for-physical-proof-of-posting-documents-to-DVLA.html

I had letters and fines years ago because i hadn't posted my V5.  I just told them I did and if they'd lost it it was tough shit.

3 hours ago, worthy10 said:

My frustration is, that he didn't park the car. That compared to not telling DVLA at totally different offences. Can't be right?

DVLA might not fine him. Chances are they won’t. But if he is still the registered owner and it goes on, and more penalties are issued it just gets worse and worse potentially. 

If the insurance company have declared it a write off do they not then become the owner when they pay out? If they are sent the V5 at this point then sell it on for parts or repair then they must have a record who they sold it to.

Evidence to the ticket issuers of the write off should be enough to get the tickets cancelled..

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, barryk32 said:

It's an old article but it was a 2 second search and the rules haven't changed.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/5835910/No-need-for-physical-proof-of-posting-documents-to-DVLA.html

I had letters and fines years ago because i hadn't posted my V5.  I just told them I did and if they'd lost it it was tough shit.

Thats very useful for me. Cheers.

4 minutes ago, worthy10 said:

Thanks for the comments. It seems a bureaucratic nightmare. Hopefully it will get sorted. I have a letter from the ins company stating that it was a write off which predates the parking ticket, that should do It?

Ring the DVLA and explain.....asap.