Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fracking

globaldiver

19 hours ago, deane koontz said:

Fine with it.  Just frack in towns where I don't live, ta.

Aye, nimbyism is strong with this one. Fine till it happens at the end of your road and it takes you an extra ten minutes to get anywhere by car etc....

I've heard very very clever people put very compelling cases together as to why long term, nuclear is the only viable solution. We should be investing in that as heavily as possible now. 

3 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Aye, nimbyism is strong with this one. Fine till it happens at the end of your road and it takes you an extra ten minutes to get anywhere by car etc....

I've heard very very clever people put very compelling cases together as to why long term, nuclear is the only viable solution. We should be investing in that as heavily as possible now. 

Nuclear power is by far the best way forward alongside renewable energy. The money being spent on fracking would be far better invested in those technologies. 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, MickyD said:

I've got to admit, when they were closing down coal mines citing reasons such as "renewable energy is the way forwards" it seems rather strange that fracking is given any credence at all.

Agree there Micky, though I think  if it gives us security of gas supply, whilst we get more renewables sorted (instead of having to rely on imports from others) then it makes sense.

Maybe a levy on the fracking industry to help with renewables development? (It might be in place already for all I know)

20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Agree there Micky, though I think  if it gives us security of gas supply, whilst we get more renewables sorted (instead of having to rely on imports from others) then it makes sense.

Maybe a levy on the fracking industry to help with renewables development? (It might be in place already for all I know)

I read somewhere that to cut our imports by 50% we’d need 6000 (that’s six thousand) shale gas wells. 

That’s a new well every day from now until 2035. 

Aint going to happen is it. Fracking isn’t the answer to our reliance on imports. 

27 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Even if it was on your doorstep?

That's the problem with a lot of renewables. People are all for them so long as it's nowhere near them and affects their property price 

I live on a council estate so it's hardly glorious surroundings to begin with so they can crack on. 

There's plenty of industrial land going around anyways plonk them in there. 

Can't see how it isn't better than a fracking site. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Even if it was on your doorstep?

That's the problem with a lot of renewables. People are all for them so long as it's nowhere near them and affects their property price 

I was scoring at Greenmount Cricket Club some time ago when my lad was playing junior cricket. I just happened to pass comment about the strange beauty of the wind turbines quietly going about their business. The bloke from Greenmount who was sitting alongside me went a puce colour as he went into a ten minute rant about how he spent a fortune on the steelwork which allowed him to have a window across the width of his bedroom where he used to enjoy his Sunday morning cuppa enjoying his panoramic view of the East Lancashire moors. Now that view is tainted by the constant movement in his eyeline.

I took it as a bit of a bite! :D

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I read somewhere that to cut our imports by 50% we’d need 6000 (that’s six thousand) shale gas wells. 

That’s a new well every day from now until 2035. 

Aint going to happen is it. Fracking isn’t the answer to our reliance on imports. 

It would seem that way given your info.

In all reality, fracking doesn't seem to have that much going for it long term.

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

None of them do 

It's all about which sector lobbies the government most. Wind farms have had their day despite being the cure years ago. Nigh on impossible to get one now. Solar panels another 

There was a trail on the humber using it for tidal power. Apparently the humber (which isn't a river contrary to common belief) has the second highest difference between low and high tide in the world behind the Amazon 

They couldn't get it to work 

18 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It doesn't, the issue with fracking as opposed to a normal well, is that you have to force open the shale that the oil or gas is in, which is fine close to the well head, but the further you get from the well head the hard it becomes to force the shale open due the pressure drop, here in the US the just drill another well then another and so on,l so you end up a whole shit load of them very close together , you can get around that by directional drilling but that is a far more costly job

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

None of them do 

It's all about which sector lobbies the government most. Wind farms have had their day despite being the cure years ago. Nigh on impossible to get one now. Solar panels another 

There was a trail on the humber using it for tidal power. Apparently the humber (which isn't a river contrary to common belief) has the second highest difference between low and high tide in the world behind the Amazon 

They couldn't get it to work 

I thought wind and solar were becoming far more cost effective now?

Either way, people are going to have to become far less NIMBY-ish if they don't want the sea lapping round their front door. Or their roof taking off several times a year.

42 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I thought wind and solar were becoming far more cost effective now?

Either way, people are going to have to become far less NIMBY-ish if they don't want the sea lapping round their front door. Or their roof taking off several times a year.

The NIMBYs protest about wind farms, Fracking, Tidal, Nuclear..... There is no option that doesn’t piss off some people 

i’d still prefer a push for a number of different sources of energy rather than putting all our Eggs in Nuclear 

we need huge amounts of gas and we have it under our feet, let’s get it out. We also have tens of thousands of highly skilled workers who have worked in Oil and Gas up in the North Sea who are out of work. I’m sure they could turn their hands to fracking in the short term, not sure they could build a Nuclear reactor.

• Site Supporter

I like the idea, or at least the principal of tidal power and wave power, construction costs obviously but not as much an eyesore / nimby issue, especially when they can be incorporated into existing structures, harbour walls etc,Even as part of sea defences to prevent erosion and some completely submerged

Saw a few models, both working and theoretical at an exhibition, surrounded by water and waves its a lot more reliable  than wind or solar.

6 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

The NIMBYs protest about wind farms, Fracking, Tidal, Nuclear..... There is no option that doesn’t piss off some people 

i’d still prefer a push for a number of different sources of energy rather than putting all our Eggs in Nuclear 

we need huge amounts of gas and we have it under our feet, let’s get it out. We also have tens of thousands of highly skilled workers who have worked in Oil and Gas up in the North Sea who are out of work. I’m sure they could turn their hands to fracking in the short term, not sure they could build a Nuclear reactor.

Would you be happy if said gas was under your house? 

8 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Would you be happy if said gas was under your house? 

Fine with it as long as the firms doing the fracking have all the correct insurance in place (should anything go wrong)

my old house was built above old coal mines for what that’s worth 

i use a shit load of gas, I’d feel a bit of a hypocrite if I wasn’t willing for it to come from underneath my own house but was happy for it to come from underneath somebody else’s house