Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fracking

globaldiver

• Members
1 hour ago, Spider said:

I imagine the whining hippies would stop complaining when they’re unable to charge their iPhones.

frack on. We need the juice.

You gave me a bit of an idea there. Can we burn hippies to assist with energy needs?

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Didn’t the coal mines shut because we could import the stuff much cheaper? 

Or was it that Mrs Thatcher decided to take Scargill on?

I think it was probably a bit of all three

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Think the point is they're establishing a link between fracking and earthquakes

They can get bigger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–18_Oklahoma_earthquake_swarms

The link between fracking and earthquakes has been established for decades. It's about acceptable risk and 0.5 on the Fylde Coast sounds pretty acceptable to me - given that 0.5 is imperceptible. 

Olkahoma is in the New Madrid seismic zone so you can't really compare the two. 

10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

The link between fracking and earthquakes has been established for decades. It's about acceptable risk and 0.5 on the Fylde Coast sounds pretty acceptable to me - given that 0.5 is imperceptible. 

6.0 would be acceptable on the Fylde Coast.

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

The assumption is all future eq's are limited to 0.5 magnitude. 

The Blackpool earthquakes are very shallow, they don't need to be much bigger before they become perceptible.  

When I lived in Christchurch, had one only 2.9 but I was sat at home, it was like someone battered the side of the house once with a large mallet. 

1 hour ago, jayjayoghani said:

The assumption is all future eq's are limited to 0.5 magnitude. 

The Blackpool earthquakes are very shallow, they don't need to be much bigger before they become perceptible.  

When I lived in Christchurch, had one only 2.9 but I was sat at home, it was like someone battered the side of the house once with a large mallet. 

No - not necessarily. Your assumption is that they will be bigger. I'm saying that it's possible - but it's very unlikely. There are lots of reasons you might be opposed to fracking - the possibility of triggering a damaging earthquake would be pretty far down the list for me. 

Are you talking about Christchurch New Zealand by the way?

I'm not assuming anything. Merely pointing out the obvious. 

The Oklahoma case you dismissed, they went from fewer than 2 3.0+ EQs per year to hundreds. A few between 5 and 5.8, at such a shallow depth they go from irritating to terrifying. It's a massive jump from a 3 to 5.8.

OK-M3-July4-2017.gif

I'm reading they stop and review should any EQs above 0.5 occur in Blackpool. I suspect should they start becoming perceptible, politically it would become too hot to carry on.

Yes, I lived for 3 years in Christchurch, NZ. 

4 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

I'm not assuming anything. Merely pointing out the obvious. 

The Oklahoma case you dismissed, they went from fewer than 2 3.0+ EQs per year to hundreds. A few between 5 and 5.8, at such a shallow depth they go from irritating to terrifying. It's a massive jump from a 3 to 5.8.

OK-M3-July4-2017.gif

I'm reading they stop and review should any EQs above 0.5 occur in Blackpool. I suspect should they start becoming perceptible, politically it would become too hot to carry on.

Yes, I lived for 3 years in Christchurch, NZ. 

You've answered your own concerns within your post - ie that they will stop and review after any tremor >0.5 in the UK. 

And the point I've been trying to make is that you can't compare the Fylde cost with Olkahoma. Also doing a bit of reading - the USGS also say that only 1-2% of those tremors are likely to have been caused by fracking. 

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/myths.php

3 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

not entirely convinced of the very precise figure they conjure up..

anyway, interesting that they blame the eq's more on wastewater from oil wells! so still man made

You can't quote figures from them when you think it suits your argument and then dismiss them when it doesn't. 

Anyway - when we get a magnitude 8 next year I reserve the right to change my mind and come and live in your spare room! :)