Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fracking

globaldiver

1 hour ago, jayjayoghani said:

hang on, the 1-2% figure is interpretative. the graph I included is factual

Their job is to collate the data and then interpret it. Rather than leave it to me and you to interpret. And their interpretation is that only 1-2% was a consequence of fracking. You could still argue that it's 1-2% more than would occur naturally. 

Like I've said - I've got reservations around fracking - but earthquakes in Blackpool isn't one of them.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Just for comparison, what score was that earthquake about 10-15 years ago we felt here?

I remember my desk shaking a little bit at work. Terrifying.

Remember one around 20 years ago when working in central manc.

Think it was 2.something.

All leccy went off and a large piece of glass roof panel dropped out, fell around 30 feet and narrowly missed a student.

My friend lives in Deal and there was a 4.3 in 2007. She said it woke her up - but actually thought it was a large truck passing by her house. It wasn't till she got to work and switched on the radio she learned it was an earthquake. 

Also had a friend who was in Lombok for two of the earthquakes recently. She described racing away from the coast on a moped with the tsunami warnings wailing as the most terrifying moment of her life. 

The ex-Mrs Manc used to live in Lytham. She met a not-quite-so-swampy-anti-fracking character about a year go

Recently bought a house with him. Both my daughters moved in with them as they got jobs on the Fylde Coast

Ex-Mrs and him bought the house about a mile and a half from Cuadrilla's site

Why? Why the fuck why? You're anti-fracking and you get a "bargain" near their site. Fuck me. If I ever doubted why me and her split up..........

Have to admit though, I do worry about the daughters!!!

29 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Dunno if you can shed any light, but what's a negative magnitude as listed in your table?

Means that instead of creating damage, it made things better. Bit like when a few years back Forest and Leicester fans met up for a barny here in Loughborough at the Jack O'Lantern near the station, and the end result was £5k worth of improvements to that shit hole. It's shut now though, thank God.

41 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Dunno if you can shed any light, but what's a negative magnitude as listed in your table?

It's measured on a logarithmic scale so

A 2mm amplitude on a seismic scale is magnitude 1.

0.2mm amplitude is magnitude 0.

0.02mm amplitude is magnitude - 1.

And so on....... 

Edited by kent_white
Missed a zero out! :)

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, kent_white said:

It's measured on a logarithmic scale so

A 2mm amplitude on a seismic scale is magnitude 1.

0.2mm amplitude is magnitude 0.

0.02mm amplitude is magnitude - 1.

And so on....... 

Ah right. I get the logarithmic bit, but is there a reason why they'd start zero at .2mm amplitude?

Or is it another weird science thing?

9 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

We haven't yet started throwing accusations at each other. I guess we can start though. 

Everybody. Kent fucks rent boys. 

Jay Jay was involved in an Ann Summers ponzi scheme that defrauded pensioners out of their savings with substandard clitoral stimulators. 

Pretty shameful eh Clive? 

:)

Decent debate on radio 2 this morning about it all.

some dude from bolton that lived in lytham had to repoint his house. Poor bastard :D

Gonna put my neck on the line here but imo there won’t be any fracking in little plumpton this time next year. 

Edited by gonzo

On 27/10/2018 at 09:04, Spider said:

So basically, there are bigger earthquakes in Cornwall most weeks?

what a fucking waste of time.

just another excuse for bored hippies to be offended by something and avoid doing proper work

Is it not slightly worrying?

An area that's never had any earthquakes suddenly has 19 when fracking starts. They might be tiny and hopefully they stay that way but are we not fecking about with something that we don't fully understand where the long term consequences are unknown?