Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Speed Camera Watch

matty2094

15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Aye heard that a few years ago but never quite trusted it so stick at 54

Question for you Micky. If a fire engine trips a speed camera what happens? Automatic withdrawal of the ticket or does someone have to spend time dealing with it to resolve it?

The Police radio it in if they trigger one. Presumably some admin somewhere resolves it.

Someone in the know advised me that for a good while after their installation, the cameras on the M60 could only calculate your average speed if the vehicle remained in the same lane. Don't know if that's still the case 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Aye heard that a few years ago but never quite trusted it so stick at 54

Question for you Micky. If a fire engine trips a speed camera what happens? Automatic withdrawal of the ticket or does someone have to spend time dealing with it to resolve it?

The traffic enforcement send it in to the admin office at Head Quarters with details such as date & time and the folk dealing with it have to marry it to an incident.

The difficulty was the private cars used by fire officers. They had to send vehicle log books in to prove they were on duty and where they started the journey. All a load of

The camera on Chorley New Road heading towards Horwich near the Texaco garage was always live. We got sent a copy of the two photos with three heads out of the window waving.

• Site Supporter

Think it’s more to do with the 10% + 2 than being set specifically for HGV. 

not sure what they are set at there but know some parts of the country set at just plus 1

Cameras on any stretch controlled by them are paired, to get done you need to pass a pair at a faster average speed than the posted limit, so, to use the earlier example,  you could pass A&B at 70 and not get ticketed, but if you continue at that speed and go past C then you would if A & C are the pair. B may be paired with D and so on but equally could be paired with any in travel sequence/ direction. 

If you pass one at 70 and don’t pass it’s paired “ mate” you won’t get a ticket,  or if you slow down before it’s pair, but, you’d have to work out how much to slow down by between the two points to make sure your average is under, no one apart from the police and the camera installers know which is paired with which sequence and it can be altered if required, so may get a ticket one week and not the next in the same location for example. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Someone in the know advised me that for a good while after their installation, the cameras on the M60 could only calculate your average speed if the vehicle remained in the same lane. Don't know if that's still the case 

Definitely not the case. I used to attend the planning meetings at Arthur Bell Stadium once a month with one of the Rochdale Whites who post on here (free lunch) and the recovery company used to give us the statistics of numbers of breakdowns within the free-tow zone, low petrol, engine failures, etc.  The police would give details of fines including level of fine income.
ANPR was used from the start and wasn't dependant on lane used (or changed)

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Think it’s more to do with the 10% + 2 than being set specifically for HGV.

I can only quote as I was informed while attending the Smart motorway meetings. They set the speed limit to make sure they never pissed the commercial drivers off. (Their words, not mine)

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

ANPR was used from the start and wasn't dependant on lane used (or changed)

Damn! I often drove around 60 in the early days and purposely swapped lanes in between cameras! 

I probably never got a ticket due to the earlier comments re your speedo being slightly under your actual speed? 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I can only quote as I was informed while attending the Smart motorway meetings. They set the speed limit to make sure they never pissed the commercial drivers off. (Their words, not mine)

Fair enough, don’t doubt what your saying or what they said just my interpretation of why it’s set from attending same type meetings and assessing speed limit ttro for road works in general including decisions to request speed cameras or not.

i don’t know what the limits are set to there but know it was only +1 on parts of the M6, with the different prosecution policy of forces playing a part in that decision, but most of my dealings are on A roads to be honest. 

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Yes, if a speed camera in addition the the average speed cameras gets you.

50 is the limit, its not a speed limit of average 50 

Are they allowed to say they're average speed cameras and then plonk a spot-speed camera inside the average stretch?

As an aside, in America the freeways/highways covered by average speed cameras often have a picnic area just before the final camera. I assume it's so that folk can ensure the meet the requirements of the average speed.

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Are they allowed to say they're average speed cameras and then plonk a spot-speed camera inside the average stretch?

As an aside, in America the freeways/highways covered by average speed cameras often have a picnic area just before the final camera. I assume it's so that folk can ensure the meet the requirements of the average speed.

They don't put a gatso type camera between the average speed cameras but if there's a copper there then they can pick you up for doing more than 50.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Ah but they stick a fatso camera in there.