Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham

Biggish Dave

Williams is going to have to step up a bit more if he’s going to be playing regularly. We missed O’Neil far more than I thought we would when he went off. 

Would agree that it was a surprise that Oztumer was missing, though I’d have thought it might leave us a little light in midfield if we’re going to play two up top a little more often. 

Light in weight? But stronger in possession. Our midfield is generally so average that we shouldn't worry about what we lack when any one of them is replaced. If someone in the squad can pass and shoot and dribble he is in my team every week, I'm prepared to trade it for whatever the others offer.

17 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Light in weight? But stronger in possession. Our midfield is generally so average that we shouldn't worry about what we lack when any one of them is replaced. If someone in the squad can pass and shoot and dribble he is in my team every week, I'm prepared to trade it for whatever the others offer.

I meant more in terms of defensive numbers, especially away from home. Three players consistently in front of the ball is likely to leave us vulnerable at the back. 

So frustrating watching us at the moment. It feels like we're holding back & we only have a go once we're a goal down & need to equalise.

Magennis & Donaldson is an odd front 2 combo for me - both too similar & no real pace there either. They didn't really work together & I can't remember them linking up to create anything worthwhile. Really pleased that Doidge bagged & I really hope it's the first of many. He could be a great foil to Magennis.

If we played a midfield that wasn't just full of ratters who win tackles & break up play we might be able to play through them & create a few more chances & could even start entertaining the fans on a regular basis. Don't understand those moaning about Vela, he offers a lot more than Gary O'Neill & at least he drove forward with the ball a few times.

18 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair points. I just think if Oz (or Sammi or Ireland) is playing he will drop short to link play and demand that we attempt to get some passing going. For me it should be nailed on that if ameobi is injured, Oz plays ( as sub absolute minimum) simply because nobody else in midfield has a basic ability to create or shoot. 

We've tried to pass through teams and it hasn't worked. Our best bet is getting it forward more quickly and playing off that. I'm unconvinced by Oztumer currently. I do think IF he can get fit that Ireland will be an asset to add quality in there because he can play front to back more effectively than anyone else we have. But that relies on him being fit. Add Ameobi into this side and we're a lot better. 

I almost think without Sammi we're better off having two big lads up top and just piling it into the box as much as possible. 

18 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

We've tried to pass through teams and it hasn't worked. Our best bet is getting it forward more quickly and playing off that. I'm unconvinced by Oztumer currently. I do think IF he can get fit that Ireland will be an asset to add quality in there because he can play front to back more effectively than anyone else we have. But that relies on him being fit. Add Ameobi into this side and we're a lot better. 

I almost think without Sammi we're better off having two big lads up top and just piling it into the box as much as possible. 

We’ve tried to pass through teams once. And that was against Blackburn at home.

That was one of the few matches we were by and large the better team but ultimately we lost.

Parkinsons response to that match and result was to stick donaldson and magennis upfront, remove oztumer and Williams (our 2 best centre midfields for passing and control) and go long.

I have absolutely no idea where that Blackburn setup and approach came from as it was completely alien to everything Parkinson has implemented before. 

22 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

We’ve tried to pass through teams once. And that was against Blackburn at home.

That was one of the few matches we were by and large the better team but ultimately we lost.

Parkinsons response to that match and result was to stick donaldson and magennis upfront, remove oztumer and Williams (our 2 best centre midfields for passing and control) and go long.

I have absolutely no idea where that Blackburn setup and approach came from as it was completely alien to everything Parkinson has implemented before. 

Against Blackburn we dominated possession but created very little. It certainly wasn't something I'd be confident about repeating.

Williams wasn't dropped. I do think we need a different balance but I've seen enough of Oztumer to know he's not the sort who will significantly change our game - he might work better when Ameobi is back. But he's too in and out and his end product has been way off so far. 

Another factor to consider is three games in a week, if Parky looked at them and with Oz having missed games had to pick a game to rest him Rotherham would have been the one.

I know people will say pro players should be able to manage 3 games in a week, but if swapping players round improves the overall performance it is the right thing to do.

Bloke in front of me Saturday was moaning that he had no plan B, despite the fact we had gone from  5 3 2 to 4 2 4. I judge Parky by his overall record which is very good not by one off decisions some of which i do find baffling.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

Another factor to consider is three games in a week, if Parky looked at them and with Oz having missed games had to pick a game to rest him Rotherham would have been the one.

I know people will say pro players should be able to manage 3 games in a week, but if swapping players round improves the overall performance it is the right thing to do.

Bloke in front of me Saturday was moaning that he had no plan B, despite the fact we had gone from  5 3 2 to 4 2 4. I judge Parky by his overall record which is very good not by one off decisions some of which i do find baffling.

Yep - broad picture he's done a fabulous job here with a basket case club. Sometimes he makes selections or decisions that baffle me - but virtually every manager does that. 

Mind some of our fans were screaming for two up front then when he plays 2 up they moan its 3-5-2! Embarrassing!

• The topic was unpinned