Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

When Did Stewarding Go Wrong ?

leigh white

The stewards at Burnden were spot on, let you out at H/T for a swift pint in the King Bill and back in the ground again. My dad and my son was let in all the time for a drink under the stands and a butty. So bad these days everywhere you go, standing on a yellow line, stood up from a seating position, and basically making it a shite day. Even the big grounds in RL are doing the same. You are watched all the time now. Just another spoiler on what should be a good day out.

To be fair vast majority of stewards are spot on at home. It's just that little hit squad who are being paid to fight. Think they're ten men till they realise there's no police backing them up and get the kicking they deserve. Bristol city at home.. they've caused more fights since the ground was built then any fan. Heard one of them outside the away end moaning few years back there was no away fans to fight.. then don gets filmed assaulting an away fan who's leaving the ground and he's still in a job!? I love it just love it when they get a kicking. Jumped up plastic policeman with no idea of crowd control. Surely if they were properly audited they'd get sacked for being shit.  They wouldn't know stewarding if it slapped them on their cowardly arse as they can away from another problem they've caused out of nothing.. 

I think you are all being a little unfair . 

Stewards at forest , derby, Burton,  Barnsley  and most away ground I went to last few seasons  were fine. If you behave and are respectful then there's no problem. Lets face it some fans are awful and treat stewards disgracefully.  I've seen wolves fans and forest fans at ours shouting in stewards faces about ticket prices , really aggressively . I've seen wanderers fans at burton just ignoring stewards advice about blocking gangway exits " we are Bolton we don't give a sh*t".  Letting smoke bombs off in the concourse under the stand in Barnsley , that's really sensible, it's not in the slightest bit funny .

It's all about respect and common sense . You enter a football ground and are meant observe the safety rules .

We are all people of the world . 

Was that a rant 

All fair points but nobody likes being bossed around by some little Hitler who was too fat to join the army and too thick to become a copper.

The ones that really get my goat are those clowns that stand in front of celebrating fans with their arms outstretched preventing an imaginary pitch invasion 

Edited by Duck Egg
Typo

Bar Sunderland where I had half off my foot over a yellow line where I wasn't supposed to take a pint i don't think I've ever had a problem 

Maybe derby away in the prem when we lost 1-0 and it all booted off in the stand with stewards and the police and they wouldn't let us go down an exit. But there was a good reason for that 

My experience of stewards from my time as one is the majority of them are after making some beer money and taking in the footy. 

The heavy mob at the unibolt seem to go looking for bother at times and when it finds them they react in a bad way. I've seen em get violent in the NSL of all places. 

TBF I think they stopped trying it on in ESL many moons ago. Used to kick off every week. Now most in my section stand up all game without any issue. 

The Myra Hindley mob seem to be on away fans duty nowadays. Always a pleasure when they come unstuck. 

• Members

My grandad always used to say "Give a man a uniform and he turns into a bastard".

As he was an artillery gunner and his son a decorated member of the Black Watch and later the chief fire officer for Hertfordshire, I often wondered what he was tying to tell me :D

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

My grandad always used to say "Give a man a uniform and he turns into a bastard".

As he was an artillery gunner and his son a decorated member of the Black Watch and later the chief fire officer for Hertfordshire, I often wondered what he was tying to tell me :D

He was talking about coppers.

ACAB

Not had any problems with stewards aside from an incident at Crewe during the ridiculous 4-4 game. I was on the front row and lost it for a moment when we went 4-2 up. I ran forward perhaps two yards but was almost on the pitch. A female steward pretty much rugby tackled me and wanted to throw me out. I apologised profusely and the stewardess relented. At 4-4 I can still visualise Nathan Blake volleying over from about 4 yards in the last minute.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, gonzo said:

Reckon that’s the worst miss I’ve ever seen live.

Reeves once missed one from a yard or two at Blackpool. A cross, came about bollock height, he could have "hip thrust" it in or anything, instead got caught in two minds and missed it entirely.

Still Russel Caughlin's penalty more than makes up for it.