Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Levels Of New Builds In Your Area.

leigh white

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Tony Blair’s policy on immigration has put paid to that.

Yep.

You know my missus - she was frustrated in her last place as rossendale was being told to do it's bit re housing.

She had to identify areas from her 'bit' that could be used. There wasn't any, unless they dig up parks or swallow the only cricket area that was available (and if I remember rightly, it was right by the river).

Just can't carry on.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

Bolton has shit loads of ex industrial land earmarked for affordable family homes but no fucker will build them as there's no money in it. 

Do you reckon councils may start building a few homes  themselves now their monetary restrictions are being eased?

Must be worth a bob or two long term.

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Do you reckon councils may start building a few homes  themselves now their monetary restrictions are being eased?

I'd be surprised, as the initial outlay would be too much I'd have thought. As a long term thing, you would think it would be a good idea, but I'm not sure how far forward councils are prepared to look these days. Even though the monetary restrictions have been lifted, a lot of them are still looking at cut backs and cost downs.

It really needs Government intervention, but they're a bit distracted at the  minute - the housing situation around here is dire, it really needs the Government to step in, and get some affordable housing built, fuck knows how first time buyers who live near me are getting on the ladder. I spoke to a lad in the pub the other week who has just moved into the village. Him and his Mrs have just bought their first house. It's a 3 bed semi.......£425K.....they're on a 35 year mortgage in order to be able to afford it. It's massively bonkers.

Whilst new housing stock is selling quickly, at these massive prices, there is simply no incentive for housebuilders to be remotely concerned about building "affordable" stuff.....although who is to say what is or isn't actually "affordable" these days

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bolton sold/gave its housing stock to Bolton At Home so that money could be accessed to build new housing. I know some has gone up in Hall it Wood, Johnny fow and withins still not enough tbh. 

The plan was for affordable housing to be built on Manchester Road college site, the car parks on chorley Street by Queens Park and down Brown Street linking by pedestrian access to Churchgate.  To break what the government egg heads in their review about 10yrs ago had termed the 'shatter zone' which is a ring of industrial and ex industrial land that separates the town from the residential areas. 

Like lots of things without specific government funding or private sector investments fuck all has happened. 

• Site Supporter

Much of my previous job was done for and paid for by Bolton at home.

Whether it's a housing association or the authority directly,  both can borrow money to build. Surely there must be money to be made long term?

A shame, because at one time hall-ith-wood was a flagship estate.

Sweep- you're right, from what I've heard it's also true that affordable housing on private estates can inhibit prices; a bit of snobbery perhaps.

Don't see what's wrong with people renting from a council and in turn them making some money out of it. Seems a cultural shift.

31 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Much of my previous job was done for and paid for by Bolton at home.

Whether it's a housing association or the authority directly,  both can borrow money to build. Surely there must be money to be made long term?

A shame, because at one time hall-ith-wood was a flagship estate.

Sweep- you're right, from what I've heard it's also true that affordable housing on private estates can inhibit prices; a bit of snobbery perhaps.

Don't see what's wrong with people renting from a council and in turn them making some money out of it. Seems a cultural shift.

Think councils found money hard to come by but housing associations could access funds not open to local Government. This was around 10yrs ago though. 

The issue has never solved since right to buy was brought in by thatcher. Neither Labour nor tory governments since have re invested the money from sale of council house stock back into new property for council tenants. 

Michael Portillo did a brilliant documentary with Channel 5 exploring the issues with social housing today. It's really worth a watch. 

http://www.channel5.com/show/michael-portillo-our-housing-crisis-whos-to-blame/

Edited by frank_spencer
Adding link

Wogden/Worsley is full of them at the moment. Some decelopments are for rent only. Rental prices are mental, If someone had said 2 years ago I could get £700 a month for a 2 bed terrace in Walkden I would have told them to book into K2.

The downside is the traffic in the mornings is horrendous.

• Site Supporter

A few years ago the council created some prime building land by closing schools. In Harwood this created space for 58 houses on the old Hough Fold School. Problem is, the local schools are now full to capacity. Traffic getting into town at morning is shite whether you go through Tonge Moor or Breightmet.

On 24/10/2018 at 19:34, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Short termism that leads to more problems. Not sustainable and short sighted.

Population needs to shrink.

Talk in Italy of giving farmland land interest free mortgages away to families who have a third child 

they have a huge population crisis coming because of low birth rates 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/31/italys-populist-government-plans-reward-fertile-families-state/

Population decreasing via low birth rates would have horrendous consequences for any economy. It’s not just about saving for your pension, you need enough young people to fill all the jobs / keep the country going 

Where did migrants come into it? 

Unless I’m wrong you have stated that we need our population to decrease? I’m saying that it would be devastating for our economy 

Germany are another country facing a crisis because of a shrinking population, many political commentators pointed towards this being one of the driving forces behind Merkel allowing 1m Syrians in 

Italy are looking at Tax Breaks to lure migrants back to areas in the South to “reverse the chronic population decline” 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/24/italy-mulls-massive-tax-break-lure-retirees-including-britons/

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Where did migrants come into it? 

Unless I’m wrong you have stated that we need our population to decrease? I’m saying that it would be devastating for our economy 

Germany are another country facing a crisis because of a shrinking population, many political commentators pointed towards this being one of the driving forces behind Merkel allowing 1m Syrians in 

Italy are looking at Tax Breaks to lure migrants back to areas in the South to “reverse the chronic population decline” 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/08/24/italy-mulls-massive-tax-break-lure-retirees-including-britons/

It does need to decrease. By your method, the population would just keep enlarging in order to service the economy. Where does it stop?

100 million, 200 million? 

The population of Europe stagnated for a while, a natural occurrence.

The problem is a lack of financial planning long term by folk in order to pay for their future as they live longer.

We've had similar discussions over the years, and all I can suggest is look at the bigger picture. Population density, modern illnesses and the demand they make on the NHS, lack of infrastructure; transport, power generation, water availability, general social issues on the rise.

I've taken a keen interest over recent years over issues that seem to slip under the radar, and aren't readily discussed when referring to the economy, and there are huge financial effects adversely affecting the country.

It's funny, because although our economy is decent and unemployment is low, the country seems to be increasingly skint.

Too much immigration doesn't solve the issues, more compounds them.

It doesn’t need to decrease, it needs to increase at a steady rate 

fuck all to do with financial planning either, you could stick everyone on a gold plated final salary pension if you wanted but you need a larger % of working people providing services like transport, healthcare, food, energy etc

you either start killing old people off or accept the fact we need population growth, it really is a simple a choice as that 

Where it all ends, fuck knows! You’ve just got to hope that technology keeps on developing so we can support a bigger population 

In terms of the country being overcrowded, id say that’s a load of shit. I sat on a train to London yesterday and for the most part I was looking out on fields without any development whatsoever. The UK is hardly Hong Kong is it

finally, in terms of the country being ‘increasingly skint’ as you put it, I’d also say that’s a load of shit as well. Do you think we were better off in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s etc? I think not from everything I hear 

In fact in terms of marketing demographics, 50 years ago the country was 33% ABC1’s and 66% C2DE’s it’s now 60% ABC1’s and 40% C2DE’s.... 

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2016/feb/26/uk-more-middle-class-than-working-class-2000-data