Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Wolves 1977

Happy Wanderer

44 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Still can't see why Whatmores goal was disallowed.

That was when you were offside even if you were half dead by the corner flag.  Gary Jones off at the back of Whatmore I think.  Couldn't really see from where I was in the paddock at the time and I was only 10.

Wow!! I was 13 and I'm now 55 but remember that game like it was yesterday

How we never won it I'll never know

How good is it to see a packed Burnden with no fences and no supermarket. Must have been around 40,000 on that day? Remember getting on to the Burnden Paddock at about 1.30/2,00 so that my Dad could get a barrier to lean on

Also remember that there was some seriously bad trouble before, during and after - some of the worst I ever saw 

In so many ways so would I - a packed Burnden like that is just something that can never nowadays be recreated

On the flip-side I would probably never have  been able to get my daughters in to going to matches and later in life wouldn't have had what I have now with them

Swings and roundabouts and all that

21 hours ago, Thorpey said:

That was when you were offside even if you were half dead by the corner flag.  Gary Jones off at the back of Whatmore I think.  Couldn't really see from where I was in the paddock at the time and I was only 10.

Remember a screamer from about 30 yards by Barry Cowdrill being disallowed for something similar.

17 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Wow!! I was 13 and I'm now 55 but remember that game like it was yesterday

How we never won it I'll never know

How good is it to see a packed Burnden with no fences and no supermarket. Must have been around 40,000 on that day? Remember getting on to the Burnden Paddock at about 1.30/2,00 so that my Dad could get a barrier to lean on

Also remember that there was some seriously bad trouble before, during and after - some of the worst I ever saw 

Was always the same when Wolves came to town. I remember them lobbing bricks into our section of the Embankment from outside the ground one game.

I used to be good friends with Mike Walsh back then and he lived a couple of doors down from me in Adlington. The morning after that match, I met him on the way back from the paper shop. The first thing he said ‘There is no God’

My first major disappointment as a fan.

(The match, not Mike)

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

I used to be good friends with Mike Walsh back then and he lived a couple of doors down from me in Adlington. The morning after that match, I met him on the way back from the paper shop. The first thing he said ‘There is no God’

My first major disappointment as a fan.

(The match, not Mike)

Character building them 3 years

Remember awful midweek defeats at home to Carlisle and York 

Started of the afternoon in the Embankment, very soon got over run by Wolves. Jumped the barrier headed to the lever end . ( only other time this happend was against Chelsea). Wolves packed the Embankment  . Just remember being totally pissed off.

It made the following season's success so much better.

1 hour ago, embankment said:

Started of the afternoon in the Embankment, very soon got over run by Wolves. Jumped the barrier headed to the lever end . ( only other time this happend was against Chelsea). Wolves packed the Embankment  . Just remember being totally pissed off.

It made the following season's success so much better.

That’s brought memories back I was also in embankment early doors that day and remember that the wolves end was packed early doors and  hardly any Bolton in our side, one of the wolves lad dived under the barrier to cross onto our side to be followed by hundreds of wolves fans I’d bet it was an hour or more from kick off as well. By the way the young kid at the side of the dug out could that be a very young Pud?

Edited by Mounts Kipper