Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Villa v bolton

radcliffe white

It wasnt a surprise but at least the players showed they care about the club & the manager.

Got myself into too many arguments tonight with folk who also have an opinion & follow the club 

Up to the second goal we are in the game .Fucking diabolical decisions x2 change games 

But we kept going To the end so for me glass empty but not smashed.

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not meaning to fight his corner, it's just an opinion, but if the ball drops yo him in the area on his left foot instead of his right foot like it did in the 1st half, it's probably a goal. Nobody else in the squad apart from Ameobi has that ability. He is a proven scorer and provider in div 1 which is far better than the rest.

Has what ability? To score a goal “if” it drops to their strongest foot 10 yards out?

He flatters to deceive. He’ll have the odd good game or produce the odd good pass/shot, but it’s not good enough - even his dead ball delivery was poor last night. 

Folk always get fooled by this type of player, but with them it’s about the regularity of end product - tell me about his?

8 hours ago, mickbrown said:

And I hate to say this about Oz, as he's probably had it all his life, but he's just too small. And it does matter.

Agree with that, and it isn’t necessarily in the physical challenges where you notice it - next time he plays, watch how many times he doesn’t reach a pass or loses possession because the ball is two inches too far away from his foot. You’d think his sense of anticipation would be a little more developed to make up for it but it’s as if he was half a foot taller until he signed for us. 

I went to the game with some Villa fans. One of the first things they said when we met up after was how good our number 7 was, they were raving about him but agreed that there was fuck all around him.

I’ve given up with it all, we’d lost that game before we stepped on the pitch and that shouldn’t be the case against a very poor Villa side. I get that he’s got limitations in the squad, the lack of a decent winger is causing problems but it’s his job to figure out how we get around that. Making 5 changes every week, losing, then telling everyone we played good in parts but they’ve got a bigger budget than us is getting boring.

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I went to the game with some Villa fans. One of the first things they said when we met up after was how good our number 7 was, they were raving about him but agreed that there was fuck all around him.

I’ve given up with it all, we’d lost that game before we stepped on the pitch and that shouldn’t be the case against a very poor Villa side. I get that he’s got limitations in the squad, the lack of a decent winger is causing problems but it’s his job to figure out how we get around that. Making 5 changes every week, losing, then telling everyone we played good in parts but they’ve got a bigger budget than us is getting boring.

That’s where I’m at Eddie

We all understand the issues with what we haven’t got, but I still don’t feel he’s doing the best with what he has got

18 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

Surely anyone who has been to a handful of games this season can see how much of an improvement last night was compared to so many games this season?

And yet we lost 2-0 against a side in poor form itself 

They say that teams winning titles play badly and win

Well, teams that get relegated have plucky matches and still manage to lose

Especially if we can’t score 

3 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

And yet we lost 2-0 against a side in poor form itself 

They say that teams winning titles play badly and win

Well, teams that get relegated have plucky matches and still manage to lose

Especially if we can’t score 

See season 1997-1998 for details 

4 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

We did okay without really threatening, nobody has mentioned how bad Lowe was last night, only Williams in midfield comes out with any credit, but he should be played further up the pitch, our midfield is weak as piss! Yes we miss Ameobi but we are going to need more than him if we are to survive. 

Play your best 11, have a solid formation and play 10 more fucking yards up the pitch..... and win some second balls, because we haven't Done that since Allardyce left. 

Lowe had a good game 

10 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I love him, it's because he can pass, he can cross (great 1 for the Hobbs header) and he can shoot. That makes 2 in the squad along with Ameobi.

Don't like knocking any of our players but sadly he looks well out of his depth one descent cross in a match followed by 75 minutes of not being involved what so ever is pretty poor to say the least

Williams playing further forward is probably the only change parky has not made and as we're not scoring goals we need 2 up top especially at home so for me we have to go with either a 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 use Williams in behind 2 of doidge, cameron, or magennis. When Ameobi is back it might be worth trying him as the 1 in behind the 2 and dropping Williams back into midfield.

Last night we did as well as what anyone could have expected., given the gulf in spending and where they have come from and where we have come from. Hull was the game we should have won. To lose to such a poor side at home was unforgivable. If our home record was better last night would have passed with little comment.

For me the most obvious problem that we have is that we don’t score goals, 3 in 15 hours of football is embarrassing. Without scoring there is so much pressure on keeping clean sheets and we’re just not good enough to keep enough of them.

Our best chance of goals is Doidge, his record shows that, albeit in a lower league, and his finish at Rotherham was one that no other player in our team could have done. If Parky doesn’t think he can play up top on his own then pick whoever is better out of Magennis and Donaldson and play them as a 2, give them 5 games together, let them train together as a partnership for a few weeks.

Work back from there. I’d say the current “wingers” are useless so until Ameobi comes back you could either go down the route of a narrow midfield 4 with Oztumer in the 10 role and 3 behind, probably Lowe, Williams and Vela/Murphy or go 352. Both systems have their weak points, the narrow midfield puts pressure on the full backs and you need your midfield 3 to get out wide and cover but that’s the kind of stuff you should be working on in training to solve. 352 has more issues for me, I do think that we now have centre backs that are more comfortable in that system, Wilson is a lot happier than Beevers to shift out to left back and Hobbs is better than any of last years options, but we don’t really have the wingbacks. Olkowski has been one of our better players but looks lost as a wingback and then the left wingback position is a choice of 3 bad options.

There isn’t an easy option, but doing what he’s doing at the moment, different formations, 5 changes, not giving anyone a run to find some form, confusion all over the pitch. It smacks of just throwing ideas out there and hoping one works, without actually working on anything. There’s no plan and it’s looking more and more like the desperation at the end of Lennon’s stint.

I hope he turns it round because you can’t argue with what he’s done for the club, but hiding behind the same excuses whilst hoping one of his many approaches somehow works or Ameobi comes back as the saviour once again is tedious.

35 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Last night wasn’t bad at all, I thought we was going to get an equaliser before we conceded that cheap 2nd 

thats the problem. everyone is just accepting of it all.

if we lose 2-0 then it is bad. Football at Championship is about winning games not taking part.

We are in a shit situation and we have our hands tied. However what is served up is pretty bad. the team looks like they have never been coached or given instructions. thats the fault of the management team. 

14 minutes ago, Big E said:

thats the problem. everyone is just accepting of it all.

if we lose 2-0 then it is bad. Football at Championship is about winning games not taking part.

We are in a shit situation and we have our hands tied. However what is served up is pretty bad. the team looks like they have never been coached or given instructions. thats the fault of the management team. 

Totally agree

i was just saying it was an improvement but ultimately no goals again