Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

“Bullying” advice

Spider

My youngest daughter was bullied when she was 14 [17 years ago] 3 girls beat her up quite badly, jealousy over local pony club events, the school did fuck all except call the police to have me removed when i threatened the headmaster. I took it all the way and we ended up at Bolton Crown Court where all 3 girls were found guilty and given some sort of order. The intimidating and threats I got from one of the girls brothers [well known Athy as being of the criminal element] was quite scary. Over the years this dropped off and my daughter repaid each one of them in her own time with a good hiding. One thing stuck with me and that was the help and support we received from Victim Suppport and Court Services was brilliant

I was bullied briefly at school by a lad who though he was tough and had the usual gang of mates egging him on. It came to head when he told me one day that he was going to give me a kicking after school.

On the way home he confronted me with his "gang" and told me how badly he was going to beat me up. I made the decision to get the first punch in although I'm not a violent person and he went down like a sack of sh1t. After that he left me alone for some reason.

Anyway bullying is cause by adults https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46140135 and its Anti-Bullying week next week https://www.anti-bullyingalliance.org.uk/anti-bullying-week

• Moderators
13 hours ago, bolty58 said:

20 odd years ago now but my lad encountered a bit of this from a group of 4 from the year higher then him. He's a bit game and fought back one day dragging the ringleader into a stream beside the school after knocking him down. The other 3 stood back, a bit shaken that he had the balls to have a dig back (they ambushed him on his way home from school).

This ringleaders mother worked voluntarily part time in the school library so you can probably imagine how things went when I had to go in and front the headmaster with my lad. The bastard was all for defending the other kid because his mother had been in his ear. I had to rip into him to get some kind of justice which was they both got suspended for a week - even though my son had done absolutely nothing wrong and was not the instigator nor wanted any of this shit. The headmaster was horrified that I had taught my lad to hit back if someone had hit him. Seemed to think that irresponsible and that he should just take it!

A few weeks later, I came home from work from a site job. High vis shirt, safety boots, the full thing. No son at home, daughter took me to one side and said he'd had to go off to a 'straightener' at a local park with this little prick. Red mist came down, jumped into the car and went round there. Pretty much the whole school was there to witness this spectacle. They were just starting to circle when I screeched to a halt, threw the door open and stormed down a slope into the middle of it. the bully had turned up with his 18 and 20 year old brothers and, apart from my lads form mates, it seemed the whole school was with the bigger bully (because the popular Mrs. Splitkipper was his mother I suppose). "Right then, which one of you fuckers wants a piece of my son? It's going to be one on one like it was at the stream". 20yo brother steps forward and goes nose to nose with me for about a millisecond before realising he had made a mistake and fucked off sharpish. Once he went, the whole crowd drifted away and we never heard anything about it ever again. Lad told me that at subsequent parties etc. after they'd left school, the bully would always sheepishly stay out of his way or say 'Hi'.

Obviously things have moved on a good way since then - especially in the UK so no doubt going to the school is the correct path. For obvious reasons, I believed that we had no chance of any sort of fair treatment and I'm not really sure how we finally sorted it out. Just died a death after that.

when I envision this, you are wearing your St George towel as a cape

• Site Supporter

Thanks for the advice (from all quarters) on this.

I've given the school a chance to sort it today, dragged him into school as he was adamant he wasn't going. Felt a right cunt, but a bit of tough love required.

Truth is, you dial it all back to basics when it's your flesh and blood. Instinctively you want to protect, but I'll do more harm than good.

That said, if the school don't sort it, I'll be wading in. They've been given first dibs, after that I go the Bolty route. A story which I heartily enjoyed you cynical fuckers :-)

I just hope he isn't dead hard cos I'll look a proper twat if I get beaten up by a kid.

• Site Supporter

Hats off to the school, they appear to have sorted it by sitting them down, mediating, passing round the peace pipe and it's all handshakes and smiles.

To absolutely no-one's surprise, it all started over a girl.

Ta for the advice, I can put my St George's Cape back on the suit of armour I keep in the study.

I’ve not got kids and can’t imagine what as a parent your going through, absolute bastard not being able to gain proper revenge for your lad.  I think threatening the bullies dad would of had to be the only way of getting some satisfaction from it, even though he’s done nothing wrong.  So bloody frustrating 

Nearly 40 years ago now my mate started as an apprentice at a well known Bolton builders. An older guy there used to get off on bullying all the apprentices and was pretty physical with some of them. Several of the young lads were terrified of him.

Then one morning he made the mistake of singling my mate out and slapped him hard on the side of the head. Big mistake! Even today, what my mate lacks in stature he makes up for in being a right scrapper and never giving in. 

He launched into this chap swinging punches left, right and centre. Came off worst in the end but this bloke never took liberties again.

Sad to say but sometimes violence can be an answer 

12 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

I like Bolty but reading through that I thought this had to be the last line of the tale, it was too perfect. Glad someone else beat me to it. 

No offence Bolty! 

18 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Nearly 40 years ago now my mate started as an apprentice at a well known Bolton builders. An older guy there used to get off on bullying all the apprentices and was pretty physical with some of them. Several of the young lads were terrified of him.

Then one morning he made the mistake of singling my mate out and slapped him hard on the side of the head. Big mistake! Even today, what my mate lacks in stature he makes up for in being a right scrapper and never giving in. 

He launched into this chap swinging punches left, right and centre. Came off worst in the end but this bloke never took liberties again.

Sad to say but sometimes violence can be an answer 

Some of the stuff I saw on sites when I was apprentice was terrible really. Proper full on bullying.

It all seemed to phase out at the bigger firms, along with the boom in HR and HSE during my tenure. Lads still get a bit of stick nowadays but nothing like it used to be.

Remember one lad nicknamed naughty boy was made to work all day completely naked from the waste down. Another lad got locked under a raised access floor in total darkness for a couple of hours every time he got the butty order wrong. Which was always rigged so he got it wrong.

One young Lad at dewhursts recording everything done to him and he took em to court. It put a stop to it all there and then.

Worst I worked for was Keith Coleman and his brother. (He’s the father of that fit bird Jenna Louise that was in doctor who) what a proper cunt he was. I wasn’t directly under him so escaped the bulk of it, but other apprentices were treated like utter shit. Wanker.

• Site Supporter
37 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Some of the stuff I saw on sites when I was apprentice was terrible really. Proper full on bullying.

It all seemed to phase out at the bigger firms, along with the boom in HR and HSE during my tenure. Lads still get a bit of stick nowadays but nothing like it used to be.

Remember one lad nicknamed naughty boy was made to work all day completely naked from the waste down. Another lad got locked under a raised access floor in total darkness for a couple of hours every time he got the butty order wrong. Which was always rigged so he got it wrong.

One young Lad at dewhursts recording everything done to him and he took em to court. It put a stop to it all there and then.

Worst I worked for was Keith Coleman and his brother. (He’s the father of that fit bird Jenna Louise that was in doctor who) what a proper cunt he was. I wasn’t directly under him so escaped the bulk of it, but other apprentices were treated like utter shit. Wanker.

Same here, some of the stuff I witnessed when I started my apprenticeship would have blokes in jail now, it was considered normal to “ grease” a new starter, pulling his trousers off and rubbing grease all over his bollocks and throwing him in a sand pile or even swarf on one occasion. Lads suspended upside down on block and tackles ,I was put in an inspection pit, boards back on so it was dark and a roller driven over it on vibrate.

one lad, on his birthday, was stripped from the waste, suspended by broom handles through an overall top so he was like a scarecrow and t(en attached to a skip wagon and driven down manny rd and left outside the pie shop.

i refused to do anything to a new starter when I was 19 and was sort of sent to Coventry in the workshop for “breaking the tradition” and called a grass and a soft cunt but the whole thing was starting to fade then any way as you say and I think I and other apprentices at the time just got unlucky with the mix of absolute arseholes who worked there egging each other on and increasing the “ joke” each time 

bcame an apprentice mentor and citb rep at the next place after I left there and my experiences made me make sure that no new starters got any of that sort of treatment at all, which, lead to a bit of a “ spoil sport” reputation amongst some of the older ones as  even had an objection to all the “ long stand” “ bubble for spirit level” type jokes, which, was probably an over reaction but just the way it was. 

Anyway, that’s that off my chest :D