Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

national anthem at sporting events

Underpants

20 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Two reasons for it not being a great anthem:

1. It calls upon God to save our Queen

2. It is about and to a single person, not the country.

Note: I'm not anti-royal or anti-religion, just putting oft-heard objections to GStQ.

If you are going to dissect other anthems then most are Jingoistic nationalistic bollox with a large slice of how fantastic they are.  But that's the nature of anthems i suppose. Love songs about themselves. Ours is at least a love song about one person.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, Underpants said:

If you are going to dissect other anthems then most are Jingoistic nationalistic bollox with a large slice of how fantastic they are.  But that's the nature of anthems i suppose. Love songs about themselves. Ours is at least a love song about one person.

I have no doubt that so is North Korea's

• Members
On 13/11/2018 at 23:28, MickyD said:

Come off it, P. Why would a Welsh person feel inferior to an English person? Seriously, I just don't get any reasoning here, particularly as your only opinion is "Bollocks!"

:D

Get off the hook Micky. Blame Bernard Manning. "Good singers the Welsh. We can all sing when we've got fuck all to do. They should stop singing and get some fucking coal up".

Of course they and the Scots have an inferiority complex. You can see it a fucking mile off with their 'anyone but England' comments. No surrender=@