Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fireworks

• Site Supporter

Once again after this year's festivities, numerous examples of emergency services being targeted by morons chucking them. Other instances of anti social behaviour.

Is it time to say fuck it and ban them apart from organised displays, or introduce tighter controls and punishments?

Genuinely interested in opinions, as speaking to neighbours, it seems there's an increasing desire to ban them.

Fireworks aren't the problem. Idiots with fireworks are the problem. And there's too many of them in circulation to do anything about it now. And if we all had access to fireworks then we wouldn't have to fear idiots with fireworks. Or something. 

Incidentally - bommy night used to be ace when every back street had its own community bonfire. I used to love exploring them all when I was a kid. 

• Site Supporter

Used to love fireworks as a kid, getting the loudest bangers we could find etc. Still enjoy them at proper displays but too many idiots set them off recklessly.

not sure what punishments are out there for cockwombles who attack emergency services with them but it ought to be very severe.

cant see them getting banned for general sale though as plenty of people are responsible

I noticed one of these eastern european car wash places in Horwich selling them last week. Bed sheet with 50% off fireworks spray painted on it outside their place. It seems any Tom, Dick and Abdul can sell them. Unregulated cowboys are the main problem. I would have a total ban on fireworks to the public, but i can't see it happening.

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I noticed one of these eastern european car wash places in Horwich selling them last week. Bed sheet with 50% off fireworks spray painted on it outside their place. It seems any Tom, Dick and Abdul can sell them. Unregulated cowboys are the main problem. I would have a total ban on fireworks to the public, but i can't see it happening.

Any Tomasz, Dick or Abdul then.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, kent_white said:

Fireworks aren't the problem. Idiots with fireworks are the problem. And there's too many of them in circulation to do anything about it now. And if we all had access to fireworks then we wouldn't have to fear idiots with fireworks. Or something. 

Incidentally - bommy night used to be ace when every back street had its own community bonfire. I used to love exploring them all when I was a kid. 

Were you supping sarcy ale by the gallon? :)

a good bonfire is a great social occasion, especially when lobby is served!

As much as I like a good firework display, I'd be for stopping their general sale, and stick to proper events.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Dog is still sat under the stairs 

Ban them just another money spinning load of bollocks 

I had three of the buggers barking at the bangs. Louder than the uniBolt!

In fairness, I tried to avoid this issue when posting this thread, as it could be said that when we get dogs, we must be aware of the potential issues.

As a dog owner, it wouldn't bother me if they were banned from general sale, though I reckon the anti social behaviour angle is a stronger reason.