Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pete Shelley

globaldiver

17 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Formed at Bolton Institute of Technology, also known as Bolton University and is run by a corrupt VC but thats another story!

Tell us more Mr Grey about the corrupt VC

It’s puzzled me for a while how a University that’s usually in the lower half of the league tables has the spare cash to sponsor BWFC and also be involved in so many new new enterprises in that area

Just now, Mr Grey said:

Type in George Holmes, Bolton University into Google and it will spew out a load of what George would call fake news

Please leave this thread to respect Pete Shelley

Cheers

bd

• Members
4 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Sad news, saw them play in Manchester in the early days & they were great , reputably formed in Bolton & still have one of my favourite records........

By Howard Devoto wasn't it? Saw them in Perth only a couple of years ago and the energy levels were astonishing.

http://www.feelpresents.com/fp_tour/buzzcocks-2/

RIP Pete.

"Boredom" was taken from the 1977 EP "Spiral Scratch" and did indeed have Howard Devoto on lead vocals, Shelley co-wrote it and sang backing vocals.

Devoto left the band shortly after its release

Imo Buzzcocks became a much better band after Devoto fcuked off..

Where's Zozzy when you need him? He was always the resident Buzzcocks aficionado! :D

Edited by Burndens Bogs

5 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

"Boredom" was taken from the 1977 EP "Spiral Scratch" and did indeed have Howard Devoto on lead vocals, Shelley co-wrote it and sang backing vocals.

Devoto left the band shortly after its release

Imo Buzzcocks became a much better band after Devoto fcuked off..

Where's Zozzy when you need him? He was always the resident Buzzcocks aficionado! :D

"Spiral Scratch" became quite  a collector's item because of the small number that were in the original run & quite a few of them were in Bolton because they were stocked & er "sold" at Edwin P Lees. It was later re-released (? ) in larger numbers but i'd guess that an original would still have a reasonable value.

RIP Pete Shelley - my first music hero.

Loved the intro to 'fast cars' and 'Another Music in a Different Kitchen' is an absolutely classic album. 

Shelley/Diggle/Garvey/Maher was the best line up! Maher was an excellent drummer.

I think Johnny Marr of Smiths fame changed his surname to avoid confusion.

Remember buying “ever fallen in love”from Jackie’s spin a disc in Walkden market, must have played it 1000s of my times on my little fidelity record player. Read his Wikipedia notes, didn’t know he was from Leigh and his dad  worked at Astley green pit. RIP

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Remember buying “ever fallen in love”from Jackie’s spin a disc in Walkden market, must have played it 1000s of my times on my little fidelity record player. Read his Wikipedia notes, didn’t know he was from Leigh and his dad  worked at Astley green pit. RIP

He was from Wigan ?

Cue Leigh White who won’t be H A P P Y.......oops sorry, wrong Shelley.

Garth Smith who was in the Buzzcocks before he got sacked lived a few houses up the street from me when I lived in Astley, I bought a copy of the first Spiral Scratch EP from Oldham St in Manc and still got it in my vinyl collection. Watched them on Alexander Park in Moss Side in 78, I actually thought Devoto's band Magazine was better.

Edited by leigh white