Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chelsea Race Row

royal white

• Site Supporter

It's a shame that the press think it's fair game to apparently have a pop at any young footballer for buying his mum a house.

People may think their wages are too high, but that's a separate discussion.

What they spend their money on is their business.

That said, I'm not sure if these reports are racist, just merely irrelevant and no fucker's business apart from the player himself.

Perhaps this just muddies the water somewhat, and detracts from the genuine cases that seem to be out there.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Traf said:

I'm no fan of Sterling, but the press do seem to have it in for him.

https://twitter.com/adamkeyworth/status/1001218545588502530

aye,

they clearly do

I still don't think the reason they go after Sterling is because he's black and the reason they went after Rooney was because he shagged a prostitute and that it's more likely because they're both easy targets, and that's  because they are/were young rich footballers who are bound to rub people up the wrong way no matter what they do - but, nowt wrong with Sterling calling it as he sees it and getting it out there to be discussed

and until the day they do a Raheem Sterling dartboard I'd say he's got off lightly

David-Beckhams-hair-mirror-dartboard-199

• Members
14 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Eager to be offended or willing to call out bigotry? It’s how you feel about it.

Also, I’m pretty sure the guy at Chelsea isn’t enjoying his 15 minutes. 

I’d rather call it out than sweep it under the carpet. Also, despite what you want - you can’t turn the clock back, you can’t oversimplify societies ills and blame it on a younger generation you have no empathy with.

I refuse to lock horns with you on this one but you have no fucking idea of what I want.

• Members
10 hours ago, Traf said:

I'm no fan of Sterling, but the press do seem to have it in for him.

https://twitter.com/adamkeyworth/status/1001218545588502530

I like him. A complete game changer on the field - if he could finish more consistently he'd be a candidate for best player in the world. Can be very frustrating to watch - especially in an England shirt but there's no denying ability and electrifying pace.

Thinking back over many years of being completely absorbed in this game, is the attention he gets any more than the following?

George Best, Peter Knowles, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh,  Cristiano Ronaldo................could be here a long time listing the ones the media have had under the microscope looking for the slightest bit of salacious or sensationalist news.

Nothing new to see here.

15 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye,

they clearly do

I still don't think the reason they go after Sterling is because he's black and the reason they went after Rooney was because he shagged a prostitute and that it's more likely because they're both easy targets, and that's  because they are/were young rich footballers who are bound to rub people up the wrong way no matter what they do - but, nowt wrong with Sterling calling it as he sees it and getting it out there to be discussed

and until the day they do a Raheem Sterling dartboard I'd say he's got off lightly

David-Beckhams-hair-mirror-dartboard-199

Jesus, some of the comments for each of those "targets".

5 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

They weren't as fucking mard then. The outraged society are so 'sensitive' they seek out things to be outraged about.

I'm not outraged or mard, but I can definitely see why some of society's more impressionable tossers might be influenced by a newspaper giving them official clearance to hate Jeremy Beadle "for being Jeremy Beadle" for example, or for chinning Jimmy Hill.

Yet then has the temerity to have a pop at James Shayler.

1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

Just different times mate. Not sure it was taken that seriously back then. Now we may be getting to the crux of the matter!

You can blame folk being over sensitive all you want, calling this stuff out is a good thing, that we’ve moved on from crap like this is again, a good thing.

The issue is how low level and subversive it is - Sterling was spot on about the different way the daily mail reported Foden buying his mum a house.