Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Helping those less fortunate at Christmas...

Traf

If you go in your local Tesco, you'll probably notice they're asking people to spare a few extra coins on their shop and buy a few extra items to dump into the big donation bins.
They're for homeless shelters, food banks, elderly etc. The thing is most people are proper skint themselves at the minute, and as much as you'd like to help, you can't spare the few extra quid.

But I know who can... Tesco.  With their £450+ million PROFIT last tax year.

So if you want to help, put some UHT milk, tinned meats/veg and bog rolls in a separate basket as you go round, and dump it in the donation box before you go to pay for your stuff.
It's not stealing because it hasn't left the store. No one checks.
You can feel like Robin Hood and you might just help someone out.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

If you go in your local Tesco, you'll probably notice they're asking people to spare a few extra coins on their shop and buy a few extra items to dump into the big donation bins.
They're for homeless shelters, food banks, elderly etc. The thing is most people are proper skint themselves at the minute, and as much as you'd like to help, you can't spare the few extra quid.

But I know who can... Tesco.  With their £450+ million PROFIT last tax year.

So if you want to help, put some UHT milk, tinned meats/veg and bog rolls in a separate basket as you go round, and dump it in the donation box before you go to pay for your stuff.
It's not stealing because it hasn't left the store. No one checks.
You can feel like Robin Hood and you might just help someone out.

Take your point, but just for a little balance, my local one in LL has three continuing charity options that you put those counters in after your shop.

They then contribute according to the numbers.

Dunno how much, but atm they are homeless charities iirc.

Might just follow your suggestion though

We did our bit today.

the BBC put out an appeal for mourners for the funeral of a WW2 vet who died aged 95 with no surviving family.

Quite a few went down to Agecroft Cemetery for his funeral this afternoon.

I say a few....it was heaving.....great send off for the old boy.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

We did our bit today.

the BBC put out an appeal for mourners for the funeral of a WW2 vet who died aged 95 with no surviving family.

Quite a few went down to Agecroft Cemetery for his funeral this afternoon.

I say a few....it was heaving.....great send off for the old boy.

Good on you.

Just been on the local news. Seemed a decent ceremony.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Thanks mate.

Was it on the BBC ?

Really good turn out and send off......loads of RAF past and present, fire crews, army etc.

So nice to see.

Yes, I'd assume it will be on again later. Also on t'internet?

Good to see military personnel carrying him in and more saluting etc. Proper send off.

The Horwich Tesco also has a box for toy donations for Bolton lions (a club, not lofty and lofty junior) 

We dropped a few toys off this weekend that we had been given last Christmas that were either the wrong age for my lad or he already had. 

• Members
2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Cheers P.

Our Indian mate M is in Naples at the moment.

He’s back tomorrow.

If he's spent a little time there, he might have some interesting stories for you! You can't go taking liberties in Napoli!

Please give him my best regards upon his (hopefully safe!) return.

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Leave t'lad alone. Sound as a pound is this particular Mohammed. Leans to the right and loves a bacon butty.

Proper good bloke.

Correct P.......M is a sound lad as quite a few others on here will agree with, especially those present at our Neo Nazi do in the summer :D

• Members
10 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

Correct P.......M is a sound lad as quite a few others on here will agree with, especially those present at our Neo Nazi do in the summer :D

Looking at some of the aldermanic girths around the table (excluding your good self of course), more like a Neo Natal do ;)

If anyone objects to dropping stuff off at places like Tesco, give stuff to the Sally Army

I'm doing the reverse Advent Calendar this year - 25 items given to the SA before Xmas day - only small bits like tinned stuff, packet stuff, etc but it all makes a difference

Oh..........and if anyone does like to give stuff, the youngest daughter lectured me the other day that giving food is fine but there's a real shortage of women's sanitary products....for those really in need it's summat that people don't think about. Just a thought........

21 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

If anyone objects to dropping stuff off at places like Tesco, give stuff to the Sally Army

I'm doing the reverse Advent Calendar this year - 25 items given to the SA before Xmas day - only small bits like tinned stuff, packet stuff, etc but it all makes a difference

Oh..........and if anyone does like to give stuff, the youngest daughter lectured me the other day that giving food is fine but there's a real shortage of women's sanitary products....for those really in need it's summat that people don't think about. Just a thought........

Lovely sentiment A especially at this time of the year.

Top man.