Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meeting Other Fans On Holiday.

leigh white

I used to wear a Bolton shirt for years when I was younger going abroad, met some decent folk, and got loads of info about good pubs before tinernet on my away jaunts. Some Derby lads stayed over when we played them in the 80s who we met. Took them in the Griffin after the match and one had to get smelling salts out he was so shocked with the folk in the pubs behavior. The Derby lot never got in touch again.:D

• Site Supporter

Spent 12 hours a day, for 2 weeks, in a bar in Kos watching 'Only Fools and Horses' because they had a Bolton shirt hung up behind the bar and the owner had a BWFC tattoo. About 20 years ago. No idea what it was called.

• Site Supporter

I don’t often meet other Wanderers while away but did meet a few in Faliraki back in 1995, a couple of who still go and I’m pretty sure a few from on here know. I think one might even be a poster.

Johnny B Goods bar was the place to be back then for Wanderers chat, just as we were coming out the doldrums

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, tomski said:

I always seem to meet a wanderers fan abroad whenever we go on hols bar last couple of years. 

Remember my first lads holiday Benidorm 1999 and the place was rammed with Bolton fans more so than any other team and I thought we were massive haha. 

Last couple of years?

Maybe just embarrassed to own up. :)

• Site Supporter

On our first trip to Gouves in Crete, we met a Wanderers fan who is now living in Barnsley. This was a dozen or so years ago and we still bump into him at the ground. My kids were bridesmaid and pageboy at their wedding 12 months later.

3 hours ago, tomski said:

I always seem to meet a wanderers fan abroad whenever we go on hols bar last couple of years. 

Remember my first lads holiday Benidorm 1999 and the place was rammed with Bolton fans more so than any other team and I thought we were massive haha. 

The Three Lions in Benidorm was owned by a Breightmet lad called Barry, it was just off the main drag.  Hes back now driving waggons.

Met Brenda and Janet from the king bill in the sportsman’s bar in Tenerife. 

Also always used to make sure I had a pint in the giddy goose until it finally dawned on the owner is an igronant fucking dickhead, the 51% doesn’t apply to him and his lager is shit.

Met some Huddersfield fans in Las Americas back in 91, great lads and had our back when it was rough as fook back then. Also met a great bunch of Sunderland fans in 92 in Puerto Banus, I had my away Bolton top on and they came over, one of the lads Mother's was from Bolton and we had a great time with them, I thought I would go toe to toe with them at drinking, big mistake! 

• Moderators

Said it before on here but met a right bellend of a Bolton fan walking round Sydney Zoo, one of them where I wanted to fuck him off after 5 minutes but through politeness listened to him talk about himself for 20 minutes whilst I just nodded and said "ah right yeah" a lot

7 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Said it before on here but met a right bellend of a Bolton fan walking round Sydney Zoo, one of them where I wanted to fuck him off after 5 minutes but through politeness listened to him talk about himself for 20 minutes whilst I just nodded and said "ah right yeah" a lot

Cheese, have you been to Sydney zoo by any chance? 

21 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Did he tell you about his scooters and love of trifle?

:D

• Members
6 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Well then, when you're over here once more, don't come poncing up to me ever again if that's the tone your're going to take. I thought I was being helpful :glare:

Met a Newcastle fan in Bulgaria this year who claimed his uncle was Gary Madine’s best mate.  I was sceptical until he showed me a load of photos of him with Madine.  He then gave me a pair of Bolton shorts saying they used to be Madine’s, and he’s got loads of his training kit at home that Madine had given him.  I believed him, and if I’m wrong I still got a free pair of Bolton shorts.  It left me wondering though on how much money we waste on kit in a current financial situation if the bloke was right.

Edited by bolton in bedford

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Me and MrsD were in Palma Nova on honeymoon Sept 94. A couple from Irlam, he was a Bolton fan, recognised our accents and ended up pulling their chairs over for a chat, mostly about the Wanderers. They ended up spending all night with us and arranged to meet next day. We spent all the next day on the beach with them, still talking about Bolton, the only thing we had in common really.
After about three days and nights in their company, and when he was trying to arrange to meet up the next day, I politely reminded him that we were on honeymoon and were planning a trip into Palma alone the next day.
He replied, full of apologies, "Oh right, yeah, sorry. You'll want to spend some time on your own. What time shall we meet on Thursday?"

Fortunately, they were only there for a week so we did manage the second week on our own, doing our best not to attract too many "friends".

3 hours ago, bolton in bedford said:

Met a Newcastle fan in Bulgaria this year who claimed his uncle was Gary Madine’s best mate.  I was sceptical until he showed me a load of photos of him with Madine.  He then gave me a pair of Bolton shorts saying they used to be Madine’s, and he’s got loads of his training kit at home that Madine had given him.  I believed him, and if I’m wrong I still got a free pair of Bolton shorts.  It left me wondering though on how much money we waste on kit in a current financial situation if the bloke was right.

Did they have a big brown stain in them? 

4 hours ago, Underpants said:

Met an expat Wanderer in South Africa. Recognised our accent.

Haha. That accent. Bumped into Wanderers fans a number of times abroad. Stayed in touch with some for a while. Others were full-on knobheads!

Also got chatting to the Cuckoo Boys “leader” M, in a bar in Lanzarote. That was a tough hour of conversation over loud music!!

In a hotel in Iceland Me and the then missus get talking to an Icelandic couple. Probably in their 50s. I'm talking to the bloke and as usual the topic of football comes up and he asks who I support

Having said Bolton he says he, and a lot of Icelandic people, have an interest in Bolton due to Gudni. He talks about then current players etc and is quite knowledgeable 

My and his other half have left at this point due to the way the conversation had gone. So we carry on drinking and says he knows Gudni through work connections. Shows me his phone and he has him as a contact. Then says he will let me ring him and have a chat. He rings him, passes me the phone whilst it's ringing 

And it went to answer phone 

Met a load of lads in Tenerife in 1998- ended up joining them for five a side tournament via Lineker's Bar, where after being knocked out in the first round, proceeded to build a pyramid of empties, before being allowed back in half cut. I didn't put any cream on all day and ended up burnt to a crisp.

Same year I asked a random couple what time the quiz started, and it turned out to be the parents of one my oldest friends who moved out there.