Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stuff you’ve done for charity over the years

Smiley

Worked for a charity for two years.

Had some great days out, including Live Aid (on the phones at the BBC) and Sports Aid (Koo Stark was running in a T Shirt I had made up)

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

What about a white collar boxing style event where the numerous straighteners on here could be settled for a good cause 

may have to spread it over a few months so Miami could recuperate in between his 16 bouts (I sit firmly on the right as well before I get offered onto the cobbles) 

As long as it's full Thai rules :)

• Site Supporter

I am the treasurer of the local scout group. It takes a lot more time than I ever thought it would. The missus is also a leader and that takes up even more of her time. But it is worth it. We give young and older kids an opportunity to develop and grow their personalities regardless of their background. 

On 16/12/2018 at 14:17, Smiley said:

Great North Run - twice. 

Sky dive over the Lakes. 

Firewalking.

5km & 10km runs.

Food & Clothes box donations to the homeless. 

Great North Swim - Windermere.

Part involvement in a few of the old Wways Sportsman’s Dinners (or sportman’s for those who may remember my typo!!!).

Many hours donated to a Duchenne Now Boxing evening in the shape of programme production.

oh, and fulfilled umpteen Go Fund Me & Just Giving requests for others.  

Definitely overdue participating in something worthwhile again soon. 

Ongoing stuff I do is all by monthly direct debit to children's / cancer / autism charities, for as much as one off events help them out, regular monthly income is what they're crying out for. This helps them budget on their own monthly outgoings etc.

Since leaving Uni, I haven't really done any one big thing for a chosen cause, but I did waive one of my tenants' first two months rent last year.

He was involved in an accident and had to spend 6 weeks in hospital and as I knew that (a) he'd not have as much money coming in as normal and (b) that staying in hospital is an increased financial burden for him & his family, I decided to waive 2 months for him. It just seemed the right thing to do.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Traf said:

He was involved in an accident and had to spend 6 weeks in hospital and as I knew that (a) he'd not have as much money coming in as normal and (b) that staying in hospital is an increased financial burden for him & his family, I decided to waive 2 months for him. It just seemed the right thing to do.

arf