Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stuff you’ve done for charity over the years

Smiley

Great North Run - twice. 

Sky dive over the Lakes. 

Firewalking.

5km & 10km runs.

Food & Clothes box donations to the homeless. 

Great North Swim - Windermere.

Part involvement in a few of the old Wways Sportsman’s Dinners (or sportman’s for those who may remember my typo!!!).

Many hours donated to a Duchenne Now Boxing evening in the shape of programme production.

oh, and fulfilled umpteen Go Fund Me & Just Giving requests for others.  

Definitely overdue participating in something worthwhile again soon. 

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

I volunteered for 5 years with Grocery Aid and helped organised events which raised over £2m for the needy in the grocery industry. It was very satisfying to see the funds help so many people when they needed that extra bit of help

I did a couple of years in the Northern Network arranging events 

Done the Windermere row a few times, London to Paris bike ride and a load of black tie dinners 

The sporting lunch last month was a good event 

12 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Maybe we could have a WW nominated charity for 2019 - all do our bit and donate it at the end of the year. Bolton Homeless Kitchen or the Hospice or something. I'd be up for it.

Belting idea. Guess Happy & the mods would have to give green light for this. 

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I did a couple of years in the Northern Network arranging events 

Done the Windermere row a few times, London to Paris bike ride and a load of black tie dinners 

The sporting lunch last month was a good event 

i was in the north west group and we organised about 4 or 5 events a year with the Harrogate Christmas event being the biggest event, that raised about £250k alone

• Site Supporter

Spent the last 38 years singing in a choir for whom charity fund raising is a large part.

Spent 30 years as a fireman and did a lot for local charities including organising three beach parties where we turned the engine house into a Caribbean back-water with palm trees and steel bands. (I think each raised about £5k.

I reckon I've done more than most and feel justified in refusing the occasional bucket shaker with the words, "Sorry, I support other charities."

Continual for me. Mission Xmas just raised 2k from our clients for the kids to give them some gifts and dropped them at a local children’s home and a refuge . Various other things through the years as well. 

Helps to cleanse the soul and actually just feels good in this shit pit of a world a touch or respite doing something worthwhile. 

Would be up for your suggestion Kent! great shout 

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Might make a change from everybody being at each others throats all the time! :)

What about a white collar boxing style event where the numerous straighteners on here could be settled for a good cause 

may have to spread it over a few months so Miami could recuperate in between his 16 bouts (I sit firmly on the right as well before I get offered onto the cobbles)