Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rotherham, Home

globaldiver

Exactly the kind of battling performance needed in a relegation fight, nothing pretty but every player giving it everything ( the multi block tackle summed it up ) & grinding out a result.

Donaldson was good, as he was at Rotherham, O'Neil had another good game & I don't know how he squeezed his goal in, but Wheater was MOM not least for resisting twatting either of their centre forwards for constantly fouling him.

6 minutes ????? It felt like an hour .

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, ianofrochdale said:

Three from us, them, Ipswich, Reading, Hull and maybe Wigan, though new money might help them out if allowing them to bring a few in during Jan.

Although we won today, and we're still in the mix we've still got the least scope of those six to get out of it in my view. Happy to be proved wrong though

Hull will be fine, started picking up points since they beat us, won away at pne today and we're 9 points behind them, they've got nowt to worry about

Well that was better.

Just shows what a bit of constant pressure can achieve. Yes still a very fragile team. Absolute shocker of a goal to concede.

But , it was brilliant to celebrate a win .

I may even post a report on the Brentford day out.

Edited by embankment

22 minutes ago, embankment said:

Well that was better.

Just shows what a bit of constant pressure can achieve. Yes still a very fragile team. Absolute shocker of a goal to concede.

But , it was brilliant to celebrate a win .

I may even post a report on the Brentford day out.

V good point that

we look so much better when we create pressure. Still felt we struggled to really press at times - v limited running beyond the ball and support for the man on the ball, but a lot of that must be down to a lack of confidence

And not knowing where folk will be due to the bingo machine 

First half hour we were so passive, again. One little bit of pressing and winning a couple of second balls from Williams and O'Neil created the first bit of pressure they'd had to deal with and they cracked. They were every bit as fragile as us, like a lot of teams that come to ours. Why we're so slow / unwilling to play on front foot and test teams early doors only Parky can answer. We seem to treat everybody as though they're better than us.

In all the excitement, I've just remembered something to moan about........with seconds to go in the 1st half, we had a free kick & the opportunity to launch the ball into the area for one last chance, so how fucking numb was it to play the ball down the line & promptly run out of time !!!!!!

Somebody out.  Boooooo

I think we all saw the effort the lads put in today , usually to no end product , 

lowe fitted in well at right back , O'neil and williams worked well , Ameobi and Donaldson gave 100 % 

can't see Diodge fitting in anywhere , so easily dispossessed 

good 3 points that we earned 

M.O.M ... O'neil 

1 hour ago, ianofrochdale said:

Three from us, them, Ipswich, Reading, Hull and maybe Wigan, though new money might help them out if allowing them to bring a few in during Jan.

Although we won today, and we're still in the mix we've still got the least scope of those six to get out of it in my view. Happy to be proved wrong though

Surely you mean millwall not Hull? Tigers well clear and even further after theyve beaten us.

It seems unanimous that Lowe and O'Neill were our 2 best players, I agree entirely. But i'm not getting the criticism of Wheater and Donaldson. Of our 3 (below average) strikers, he is the only 1 the ball sticks to. Aggressive, strong, intelligent runs, controls and lays off well and can't shoot to save hus life. Far better than the other 2 who admittedly tired and needed to be subbed after 75. Wheater heroic for me, won a thousand headers, interceptions, blocks, love the bloke. But if he's nackered I'm happy for Hobbs to play as he's quality. Last point, how refreshing was it to have Ameobi on the LEFT wing. Who thought of that idea?

Thought every player put a shift in today and we made their goalie make 2 great saves as well as the 2 goals we scored.

rotherham certainly aren't the worst we have played recently and are very good at set pieces.

great to go home and actually be interested in the goals, tables etc

who knows what the bingo balls will deliver for Saturday though........

It’s Boxing Day and we’ve got 3 much needed points. 

Other than that nothing much has changed for me. Same players who I can’t fault for lack of effort but application, tactics and in some cases talent are definitely lacking in some. 

On to hull which will be a tough game but let’s enjoy the win it’s been a long time coming