Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Most humiliating home defeat

Awful lineup

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Better scrub Donny... was away!! 

Wasn’t that the day after losing at home to Bury, like Dec 27th, god awful game I agree 

yeah, I commented previously on that game, one of the worst aways. Just a cage at the back of the goal, middle pen, a decent 1.5k bolton, could have the game the day after super John destroyed us 4-2

Edited by zurichwhite

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Nothing comes close for me. Ruined a good portion of my childhood and shattered every dream I ever had.

Any imaginary game I played down the side of my house involved finally getting the chance to play and beat them in front of a packed burnden. Sometime Wembley too obviously :D

All came crashing down that day. Cried during the game, cried myself to sleep then got sent home from school the next day for windmilling in on some kid twice my size in the year above for taking the piss out of my bolton scarf. He bust my nose in to a pulp and Mr Carr the maths teacher drove me home in his car.

Blackburn 4-1 was a killer but nothing comes near that awful day. 

Didn't make it to the match so watched it down the pub

Ended up in a fight with a Man Utd fan and came out with a broken nose

In Leicester 

No way I can watch those highlights Gonzo, awful memories. Day started in the Feathers drinking Murphy's Oyster, made our way to the game in high spirits and then were completely destroyed. Walking back through Darcy afterwards with the misery sitting hard, the hangover creeping in and armchair man U fans goading us on Bromwich St. Shit day.

On the bright side I saw the best punch I ever saw live in the Paddock that day. A red jumped up celebrating goal number one, bloke beside him timed a perfect uppercut that connected with his nose as he landed, went down in a crumpled heap.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, perth_white said:

No way I can watch those highlights Gonzo, awful memories. Day started in the Feathers drinking Murphy's Oyster, made our way to the game in high spirits and then were completely destroyed. Walking back through Darcy afterwards with the misery sitting hard, the hangover creeping in and armchair man U fans goading us on Bromwich St. Shit day.

On the bright side I saw the best punch I ever saw live in the Paddock that day. A red jumped up celebrating goal number one, bloke beside him timed a perfect uppercut that connected with his nose as he landed, went down in a crumpled heap.

Random, but I may have been with you that day, did you move to Perth a couple of years or so after that ?

maybe not too, but the description fits my itinerary and memories of that day and was with someone who moved to Perth and has now gone across Australia to somewhere else 

• Site Supporter
Just now, fatolive said:

Not humiliating but one of the worse I’ve felt is the Oldham Fa cup defeat 

For me as well. They were Premier League but had always been one of our main rivals in the 70s and 80s. After recent Cup victories against Spurs, Villa, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal this game was arguably the one offering least resistance. 

Was it this game that Joe Royle went in the local papers thanking the club for putting all the village idiots behind his pitchside technical area (Before technical areas were a thing)

SIT DOWN!

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, MickyD said:

For me as well. They were Premier League but had always been one of our main rivals in the 70s and 80s. After recent Cup victories against Spurs, Villa, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal this game was arguably the one offering least resistance. 

Was it this game that Joe Royle went in the local papers thanking the club for putting all the village idiots behind his pitchside technical area (Before technical areas were a thing)

SIT DOWN!

Can’t remember if it was that actual game but do remember him complaining about it and yes, I think the expectancy to beat Oldham after seeing off the others  in our giant killing runs contributed to the crushing feeling at that game  ! 

32 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Random, but I may have been with you that day, did you move to Perth a couple of years or so after that ?

maybe not too, but the description fits my itinerary and memories of that day and was with someone who moved to Perth and has now gone across Australia to somewhere else 

Yep, that's me. Moved to Perth 14 years ago and just moved over to Brisbane a few months ago. Pretty sure we know each other from Feathers Jolly Boys days, although I was never a full member. If your username is your surname we definitely know each other, I'm Ste.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Yep, that's me. Moved to Perth 14 years ago and just moved over to Brisbane a few months ago. Pretty sure we know each other from Feathers Jolly Boys days, although I was never a full member. If your username is your surname we definitely know each other, I'm Ste.

Ha , no, it’s not my surname, it was in regard to the lads who you are probably thinking of , long story I’ll dm you save everyone getting the friends re united posts :D

Edited by fatolive
Info

11 hours ago, fatolive said:

Can’t remember if it was that actual game but do remember him complaining about it and yes, I think the expectancy to beat Oldham after seeing off the others  in our giant killing runs contributed to the crushing feeling at that game  ! 

Yeah it was the 2-2 league game the year after he said that. He taunted the Manny Road North when they equalised the huge headed bastard