Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peter Thompson

TrickyTrotter

• Site Supporter

I've already said in the other section that this was probably a close second in my list of favourite eras to watch the Wanderers. Very close to the Okocha/Djorkaeff era and only because it seemed every other player in the later team was also a household name.

Just like we've all said about all those players, I just wish we'd seen them in their prime rather than towards the end of their careers. Thompson was just brilliant; imagine how good he was 10-15 years younger!

T
O
TOM
TOMO
Thommo!

(It was a chant it seemed to work at the time!) :D:D

One thing Tomo mentioned when I met him was he never went back to Liverpool after he left until Bolton played Liverpool I that cup tie at Anfield when Walker and Mcinlay scored, he rang Liverpool to get match tickets for the game and picked them up on the night however couple of weeks later he recieved and Invoice for the tickets seeing he’d played 100s of games for Liverpool he was disappointed they’d sent him the bill. 

RIP Thommo what a player , the ball was tied to his boot , he tempted  the player in and had such a fantastic change of pace . So they put 2 players on him ... It didn't make a difference he still got the cross in . One of the best i have ever seen .. I'm n any shirt. 

Thomo was wonderful winger. I recall him totally destroying Portsmouth Full Back in first half and then his second half replacement on a Sunday in a 4-0 win. Pompey had spent 400k (big money for a second tier team in mid seventies) and Burnden crowd reminding them "What a waste of money". I did not have the privilege of meeting Peter personally but I know a guy who knew him and had nothing but praise. Sad day. RIP. 

Very sad news 

One of the finest players to wear a Bolton shirt in the 1970s 

Remember finding myself on holiday in the early 1980s in a cottage in a small south Lakeland village called Bowland Bridge with a pub next door but two called the Hare and Hounds 

Spent most of the week in there when we found out Peter was the Landlord 

Great player and a true Gentleman