Donate to keep the site running Read more... ×
Subscribe - contribute monthly Read more... ×
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
TrickyTrotter

Peter Thompson

Tomo at his finest....plus a.fine rendition near the end of “Oh When The Whites Go Marching In”

i know i posted on the celebrity dead pool this morning and not here.

but he really was the best ever i saw in a white shirt at Burnden , ironically we were doing the BEN wanderers  quiz with Howard Broadbentlast night and talking how Tomo was the best i have ever seen

9 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Probably the best winger i've ever seen in a Bolton shirt - pure class.

RIP PT

Agree 100%, he could take the ball both ways. In my top ten ever Wanderers players. Saw him at the Hare and Hounds in the Lakes, which he owned for many years. 

All I remember about Peter was when he didn’t play we looked half the team . Similar to when Andy Walker didn’t play in the Rioch side . R.I.P Peter .

So sad, lovely bloke, world’s worse off without such a gentleman 

One game I remember was the match V Blackpool, every defender was out to cripple him, it worked and we lost 0-3. He was never the same after that match and was out for a good spell. I fucking hated that Billy Ronson for his cynical tackling that day.

16 minutes ago, leigh white said:

One game I remember was the match V Blackpool, every defender was out to cripple him, it worked and we lost 0-3. He was never the same after that match and was out for a good spell. I fucking hated that Billy Ronson for his cynical tackling that day.

Back then tackles were brutal. Pitches were worst. Shows what a good players people like PT, Best, Greaves etc.. were. PT was coming to the end of his career at Bolton so that Blackpool game, not that i remember it, was probably the straw that broke the camels back. 

2 hours ago, emus wig said:

All I remember about Peter was when he didn’t play we looked half the team . Similar to when Andy Walker didn’t play in the Rioch side . R.I.P Peter .

Appreciate the sentiment. But BRUCE'S side managed just fine without Walker ( best finisher I have ever seen bar Anelka), McGinlay went from a target man to an executioner in a heartbeat. Testament to McGinlay. What great days!

RIP Peter 

I remember watching him at Burnden and as others have said he was brilliant. 

Can only imagine what it would have been like watching him every week in his prime for Liverpool. 

9 hours ago, leigh white said:

Think that 0-3 Blackpool was Jim McDonagh's debut.

First tackle in the Blackpool game saw their fullback (Gardiner?) Poleaxe Peter Thompson and the bastard got away with it  ....struggled from then on.

RIP

Thoughts go out to Peter’s family and friends.

Without any doubt the finest winger in a Bolton shirt.

One game always sticks in my mind (sadly can’t remember the opponents) when Tommo hugging the wing took on the right back, Tommo put him on his arse and waited for him to get back up and put him back on his arse before heading off down the wing followed by a few roars and chuckles from the Burnden faithful.

He was magnificent .

The first game I ever saw him play , I could not believe how skilfull he was. He didn't need pace to beat his defender , just nifty footwork and the drop of a shoulder. He was doing step overs before anyone gave "them a name" . 

How good were we with Peter and Willie Morgan on opposite flanks 

RIP

Just read the comments page in the Bolton news it’s a good read and some great memories of Peter Thompson. 

He was a bit before my time so this thread has been a good read too. Sounds like a cracking player and a good servant. 

48 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

He was a bit before my time so this thread has been a good read too. Sounds like a cracking player and a good servant. 

He was almost the last of his kind and a privilege to watch.

I modelled my game on him :roll:

JB was waxing lyrical about Peter Thompson in the BN .He said if Thomo had been a Bolton player for a longer period he (JB) would have bagged 300 career goals.

Just seen this; RIP 

Very lucky to have seen him in the 70s

Didn't realise he was the teenager who replaced Finney in the PNE team on his retirement.

21 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Didn't realise he was the teenager who replaced Finney in the PNE team on his retirement.

And that young upstart Finney, at 3 years younger, ousted my Dad from the Lancashire Youth team

Who the fuck did that young whippersnapper think that he was......

3 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

There’s a pic of Tomo with Finley on the net Malc, will dig it out this weekend.

3 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

Boring fact. Once met Finney at his plum shop. Hadn't a clue who i was talking to until he signed my paperwork. The name of his plumbing merchants should have alerted me.

24 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Boring fact. Once met Finney at his plum shop. Hadn't a clue who i was talking to until he signed my paperwork. The name of his plumbing merchants should have alerted me.

Finney, Lofthouse, and Matthews would add about another 10'000 on the crowd in London grounds in the 50s