Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

It’s not just 3kg of fat loss though, you could diet that out in a decent 6-8 weeks without doing any exercise 

I want to be doing weight training twice a week to build muscle at the same time, 3kg NET loss isn’t as easy as it sounds 

I need to get my body fat % measured again, that will be the key indicator to track 

Fair enough 

I’ll stick to knocking toast on the head

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

What’s everyone’s vice?

Apart from ale obvs...

its pies and crisps for me.

I can inhale a cheese pastie in 0.2 seconds flat and those jalapeño beer crisps will the be death of me.

Cheese and chocolate are mine, can actually live without ale for weeks (though the Saturday piss up every 2-3 weeks after not a single drink in between probably puts me in binge drinker territory)

Got a major, major job on my hands to get back to it, I'm 15 stone. Used to be a proud 12.5. I'm getting older, settling down a bit, fair enough, but 15 is a fucking disgrace for me.

Gym and spin are the two main weapons I can use on it, but it's the willpower with the junk food that's harder to get to grips with these days. Used to be a lot easier living alone, now I work all day and get home and think fuck it.

Edited by Marc505

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Cheese and chocolate are mine, can actually live without ale for weeks (though the Saturday piss up every 2-3 weeks probably puts me in binge drinker territory)

Got a major, major job on my hands to get back to it, I'm 15 stone. Used to be a proud 12.5. I'm getting older, settling down a bit, fair enough, but 15 is a fucking disgrace for me.

Gym and spin are the two main weapons I can use on it, but it's the willpower with the junk food that's harder to get to grips with these days. Used to be a lot easier living alone, now I work all day and get home and think fuck it.

Get planning your meals, especially defrosting chicken etc in the fridge in a morning before work and you’ll be more likely to stick to it rather than chucking food out. Once you do a few days then you get in to a rhythm and feel better for it. Remove the temptation of the cheese (unless you’re doing low carb in which case it comes in handy) and rather than having a bar of chocolate in the evening, have a Cadbury Highlights hot chocolate to get your fix.  

I’m at the stage where I can’t wait to be eating better. Got a KFC when I got back from Hull and just didn’t enjoy it at all. Looking forward to a decent stir fry tomorrow night to kick things on. 

I don’t drink at all at home but then end up getting lashed on an away day every couple of weeks. Better than boozing every night, I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Get planning your meals, especially defrosting chicken etc in the fridge in a morning before work and you’ll be more likely to stick to it rather than chucking food out. Once you do a few days then you get in to a rhythm and feel better for it. Remove the temptation of the cheese (unless you’re doing low carb in which case it comes in handy) and rather than having a bar of chocolate in the evening, have a Cadbury Highlights hot chocolate to get your fix.  

I’m at the stage where I can’t wait to be eating better. Got a KFC when I got back from Hull and just didn’t enjoy it at all. Looking forward to a decent stir fry tomorrow night to kick things on. 

I don’t drink at all at home but then end up getting lashed on an away day every couple of weeks. Better than boozing every night, I suppose. 

Planning meals is something we're getting better at, do a lot of recipes now out of healthy(healthier) eating books so only really buy food we need, it's the 9pm snacking with a brew and pre-tea scoffing thats the killer. You have a half decent week then her mum shows up with a box of half a million broken biscuits from Costco...

With you on being sick of Christmas eating though, bored of it!

Keep it simple folks.

burn more than you eat and exercise as much as possible. 

Deffo recommend my fitness app and count your calories. If you keep under your target you will lose weight irrespective of how much you train. 

Training just makes it happen quicker and aids the process. 

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

How much do you weigh now bro and how active are you in normal life?

after i've had a piss in the morning, i'm about 14.3

put a few lbs on over xmas though

sat on my arse all day, gonna be in the gym a few nights a week from tonihgt, doing mostly cardio

6 hours ago, L/H White said:

sat on my arse all day, gonna be in the gym a few nights a week from tonihgt, doing mostly cardio

Taking your planned exercise aside, I reckon if you set your target at about 2,100-2,2000 that’s easliy doable and not too drastic imo. 

Without exercise you will lose weight at that. Obviously the more you put in to training the more you put in and it will come off quicker. 

I personally use my fitness app, check my calorie in take and simply keep below the target. I don’t bother putting in calories burned in gym or work as it offers a false sense of security for me. 

I found myself taking it easy in gym because I knew I was well under or eating a bit crap because I think I’ll burn it off later.

diet diet diet. The rest is a Bonus. 

6 hours ago, L/H White said:

If you tell me your height and your weight - I can work out your basal metabolic rate.

1lb fat equates to around 3500 kcal - therefore you'll need to eat 500 kcal per day less than your basal metabolic rate to lose a pound a week - which is sustainable and tends to stay off.

12 hours ago, gonzo said:

Taking your planned exercise aside, I reckon if you set your target at about 2,100-2,2000 that’s easliy doable and not too drastic imo. 

Without exercise you will lose weight at that. Obviously the more you put in to training the more you put in and it will come off quicker. 

I personally use my fitness app, check my calorie in take and simply keep below the target. I don’t bother putting in calories burned in gym or work as it offers a false sense of security for me. 

I found myself taking it easy in gym because I knew I was well under or eating a bit crap because I think I’ll burn it off later.

diet diet diet. The rest is a Bonus. 

thanks baby, i've downloaded that app, and was under 1500 cals yesterday

12 hours ago, kent_white said:

If you tell me your height and your weight - I can work out your basal metabolic rate.

1lb fat equates to around 3500 kcal - therefore you'll need to eat 500 kcal per day less than your basal metabolic rate to lose a pound a week - which is sustainable and tends to stay off.

thanks kent, i'm about 6ft 1 and weigh 14.3

I’d got up to 15 stone a couple of years ago, stopped the smoking and quit booze mid-week but then had a year just cracking on with running - but whatever floats your boat fitness wise.

got down to 12 but everyone said I’d started to look a bit ill, so I’m around 12.5/8 now - do 10 miles on average a week if I’m not training for a race but mix that with speed training and hills which cuts down on dead miles and makes it a bit more fun.

ill do a half distance every couple of months but stick to 10-15km for my longer runs.

My middle kids comes on a 5k every few weeks and loved it, my sister has started, just done 10km and has lost a load of weight.

its the monents when you don’t want to but force yourself to do something that makes the difference - the 5.30ams and the post work 8/9pm but both stop the boozing and junk food and then you can enjoy your takeaway and a few beers at the weekend (after exercise of course!)

2 hours ago, L/H White said:

thanks baby, i've downloaded that app, and was under 1500 cals yesterday

Aye have you gone for losing big amount a week? Sounds about right at that but Slow and steady, you’d be right closer to 2k but if you want to tank it then go lower.

i honestly couldn’t function on anything under 2,2k...different day jobs obviously :)

Get on the probiotics if your cutting carbs by the way. Can play havoc with your testerone and mindset all that caper. 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Aye have you gone for losing big amount a week? Sounds about right at that but Slow and steady, you’d be right closer to 2k but if you want to tank it then go lower.

i honestly couldn’t function on anything under 2,2k...different day jobs obviously :)

Get on the probiotics if your cutting carbs by the way. Can play havoc with your testerone and mindset all that caper. 

What do you use to calculate your TDEE (resting calories used per day)?

Been using this:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

17 minutes ago, donkeyshorn said:

What do you use to calculate your TDEE (resting calories used per day)?

Been using this:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

My fitness app is synced to my i phone.

The health bit lists a break down of what you’ve eaten and records your steps and calories burnt without inputting your gym stuff.

It’s easy to get carried away with the science, I love it :) 

Birch alluded to it before but BMI etc is a major player.

Edited by gonzo