Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

4 hours ago, L/H White said:

thanks baby, i've downloaded that app, and was under 1500 cals yesterday

thanks kent, i'm about 6ft 1 and weigh 14.3

Sorry - need your age as well and a rough idea of how active you are during the day. I'm working on the assumption that you're male! :)

5 hours ago, L/H White said:

are you planning on bumming me? :D

i'm 32, and sat on my arse all day

Okay - so your basal metabolic rate is 2012 kcal. That means if you lay in bed all day you'd need approximately 2012 kcal just to maintain your current bodyweight - based on your age, height and weight.

Once you factor a sedentary job with some moving about during the day but little to no exercise - you'll need 2817 kcal per day to maintain your current weight.

1 lb of fat equates to roughly 3500 kcal. So if you didn't change anything but started eating 500kcal per day more - you could expect to gain a pound of fat per week.

Similarly if you reduced to 2317 kcal per day you could expect to lose a pound of fat a week. 

Alternatively you could reduce your calorie intake by 300kcal per day - but do 200kcal worth of exercise and achieve a similar result.

That's why small changes are important. If you have a kit kat every day and that's the only thing you change - then theoretically over the course of the year you could lose 11lbs just by making that change alone. Based on 110kcal X 365 ÷ 3500.

Bear in mind that as you lose weight - your overall BMR will come down to which is why people eventually plateau. You'll need to recalculate when that happens and decide how you're going to shave off another 500 kcal at that stage if you want to maintain losing a pound a week.

Also - don't worry what the scales say week to week. A litre of water weighs 2.2 lbs - so your week to week weight will largely be down to how well hydrated you are. 

If you're doing it right - you'll notice your weight going up and down week to week but the general trend over time will be downwards. That's normal, healthy, sustainable fat loss.

Also - make sure you weight yourself on some decent digital scales first thing in the morning - preferably after you've had a piss and before you've eaten or drunk anything. Preferably in the buff as well for the most accurate results.

Anyway - that's quite enough from me - feels like being back at work :)

Good luck though - longevity is the key!

3 hours ago, kent_white said:

Okay - so your basal metabolic rate is 2012 kcal. That means if you lay in bed all day you'd need approximately 2012 kcal just to maintain your current bodyweight - based on your age, height and weight.

Once you factor a sedentary job with some moving about during the day but little to no exercise - you'll need 2817 kcal per day to maintain your current weight.

1 lb of fat equates to roughly 3500 kcal. So if you didn't change anything but started eating 500kcal per day more - you could expect to gain a pound of fat per week.

Similarly if you reduced to 2317 kcal per day you could expect to lose a pound of fat a week. 

Alternatively you could reduce your calorie intake by 300kcal per day - but do 200kcal worth of exercise and achieve a similar result.

That's why small changes are important. If you have a kit kat every day and that's the only thing you change - then theoretically over the course of the year you could lose 11lbs just by making that change alone. Based on 110kcal X 365 ÷ 3500.

Bear in mind that as you lose weight - your overall BMR will come down to which is why people eventually plateau. You'll need to recalculate when that happens and decide how you're going to shave off another 500 kcal at that stage if you want to maintain losing a pound a week.

Also - don't worry what the scales say week to week. A litre of water weighs 2.2 lbs - so your week to week weight will largely be down to how well hydrated you are. 

If you're doing it right - you'll notice your weight going up and down week to week but the general trend over time will be downwards. That's normal, healthy, sustainable fat loss.

Also - make sure you weight yourself on some decent digital scales first thing in the morning - preferably after you've had a piss and before you've eaten or drunk anything. Preferably in the buff as well for the most accurate results.

Great insight pal 

is the Calorie deficit stuff really as simple as that though? I.e come 3500kcal under and lose 1lb, I was of the impression that whilst you can lose weight it could be muscle or fat loss that it’s attributed to 

Thus a greater focus on macros and the share of Proteins, carbs and fats 

It takes it to another level of course but My Fitness pal is great at analysing Macros. My trainer always tries to get me to have 40% protein with 30% for the other two. 

Getting the protein is easy enough but it’s hard to do it at the same time as keeping fats down. Unless you just eat chicken breast all day 

11 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Great insight pal 

is the Calorie deficit stuff really as simple as that though? I.e come 3500kcal under and lose 1lb, I was of the impression that whilst you can lose weight it could be muscle or fat loss that it’s attributed to 

Thus a greater focus on macros and the share of Proteins, carbs and fats 

It takes it to another level of course but My Fitness pal is great at analysing Macros. My trainer always tries to get me to have 40% protein with 30% for the other two. 

Getting the protein is easy enough but it’s hard to do it at the same time as keeping fats down. Unless you just eat chicken breast all day 

It's not quite as simple as that. But in general -if you try and work toward that rule you won't go far wrong. And if you're exercising regularly you shouldn't really lose muscle mass - particularly if you're doing resistance exercises. 

Don't forget that rate is based on his current levels - so if he started exercising he'd need to adjust his BMR. 

Ultimately it's calories in vs calories out. Doesn't really matter if you're eating 3000 kcal of fat or 3000 kcal of protein - you'll still put fat on if you're exceeding your calorie needs overall.

13 hours ago, kent_white said:

that's belting, thanks for your time Kent

Definitely need to get back on it. Not done any exercise for the last couple of weeks. Did hammer it through November. Happy using a Fitbit to record my steps and exercise. Cracked over 100,000 steps 3 weeks running. And managed over 10,000 steps for 27 out of 30 days in November. So definitely created some space for all of December's excesses. Think that's the key. Lose the weight before you put it on!!
Earlier in the summer I was also doing the food diary thing on the Fitbit app - and weight just dropped off. I think if you start to diarise what you eat, you tend not to cheat. That said, every diet needs 1 or 2 cheat days per week. You cannot sustain not eating some shite from time-to-time.

Problem with January - all the restaurants have great 50% off deals. Almost too good to miss out on.

I'm hoping to get back to the gym next Tuesday - we have unlimited free PT included in membership. Will try a couple of runs over next few days and maybe some home HIIT. Mrs got me a 8kg gym ball with handles for Xmas. Quite like doing a variety of workouts with that, cardio with a bit of weight thrown in for resistance.

Edited by Smiley

One of the worst vices for anyone with young kids in the house - is finishing off their meals! Even to the point as you are just scraping the left-overs into the green recycle bin and you think "that quiche looks too good to throw away!" - boom down your throat!

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, Smiley said:

One of the worst vices for anyone with young kids in the house - is finishing off their meals! Even to the point as you are just scraping the left-overs into the green recycle bin and you think "that quiche looks too good to throw away!" - boom down your throat!

Just need better self control!

5 hours ago, Smiley said:

My lad leaves fuck all these days, the greedy bugger,  so no excuses for me there. 

Kent .....

so taking the science bit further...

my biggest problem for muscle building has always been my recovery as well as true calorie deficit counting.

I walk about 7-8 miles per day, 6 days a week all whilst holding a 30kg pole most of the time. By rights I should have a body like an Olympic swimmer. 

Would you say your body conditions itself to your daily activity and burns less calories?

Obviously I know it spazzes any muscle building intentions as if I’m say training my shoulders, there’s no chance for them to recover as I’m using the fuckers all day the next day. 

Hence why all landscapers or hod carriers don’t look like the rock?

Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter

Doesn't that sort of excercise level keep you toned rather than sculpt you like an Olympian?

Some of these swimmers consume enormous levels of calories, presumably with lots of protein to build themselves more.

Interestingly, I read a book written by a Norwegian, about firewood production.

He claimed (iirc) that some of the traditional woodsmen could consume 8-10000 calories per day to cope with the level of axe work and shifting felled trees etc. Incredible.

I need to shed around a stone. I train most days but I have a severe addiction to chocolate and cakes. It’s fkin ridiculous.

I did my first triathlon last year and I’m doing a few this year really good for motivation once you’ve booked one as you don’t want to look a dick on the day.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Kent .....

so taking the science bit further...

my biggest problem for muscle building has always been my recovery as well as true calorie deficit counting.

I walk about 7-8 miles per day, 6 days a week all whilst holding a 30kg pole most of the time. By rights I should have a body like an Olympic swimmer. 

Would you say your body conditions itself to your daily activity and burns less calories?

Obviously I know it spazzes any muscle building intentions as if I’m say training my shoulders, there’s no chance for them to recover as I’m using the fuckers all day the next day. 

Hence why all landscapers or hod carriers don’t look like the rock?

I can't really help with this one Gonzo - I work on weight management rather than muscle building. With such a physical job - I imagine you're strong but like you say - you aren't able to push your muscles to the point where you're going to stimulate much growth - because you need to work. I sound a bit like Purple Ali now! :)

5 minutes ago, royal white said:

I need to shed around a stone. I train most days but I have a severe addiction to chocolate and cakes. It’s fkin ridiculous.

I did my first triathlon last year and I’m doing a few this year really good for motivation once you’ve booked one as you don’t want to look a dick on the day.

A friend of mine is doing one later this year and his life just looks like it's one perpetual training session. Must take a hell of a lot to prepare for something like that? How long do you train for in advance?

4 minutes ago, kent_white said:

A friend of mine is doing one later this year and his life just looks like it's one perpetual training session. Must take a hell of a lot to prepare for something like that? How long do you train for in advance?

I only did the sprint one last year (500m swim, 28k on the bike 6k run) I had 3 month to prepare which I think is plenty if you have some degree of fitness about you before hand. I want to try and get to half iron man this year which is in june so I’ll just add to my distances which I’m doing now. 

So to answer your question it all depends on fitness and distance I would think the majority of those doing the Bolton Iron Man will be training 5-6 Days a week with some of those days being 3-4 hours long! Very time consuming. Some of the lads wives who have done itbcall themselves Ironman widows. You can see why

10 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I can't really help with this one Gonzo - I work on weight management rather than muscle building. With such a physical job - I imagine you're strong but like you say - you aren't able to push your muscles to the point where you're going to stimulate much growth - because you need to work. I sound a bit like Purple Ali now! :)

Fair enough ...

so with my weight, will my body be conditioned to burning calories at a slower rate because it’s used to grafting all day?

I always thought I could eat what I wanted you under the notion that I must burn an absolute shit load of calories at work, which I do according to my step monitor iPhone thing...but it’s obviously not the case.