Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Fair enough ...

so with my weight, will my body be conditioned to burning calories at a slower rate because it’s used to grafting all day?

I always thought I could eat what I wanted you under the notion that I must burn an absolute shit load of calories at work, which I do according to my step monitor iPhone thing...but it’s obviously not the case. 

I'm fairly sure that as muscles become "fitter" they become more efficient.

Kent will know. 

1 hour ago, royal white said:

I only did the sprint one last year (500m swim, 28k on the bike 6k run) I had 3 month to prepare which I think is plenty if you have some degree of fitness about you before hand. I want to try and get to half iron man this year which is in june so I’ll just add to my distances which I’m doing now. 

So to answer your question it all depends on fitness and distance I would think the majority of those doing the Bolton Iron Man will be training 5-6 Days a week with some of those days being 3-4 hours long! Very time consuming. Some of the lads wives who have done itbcall themselves Ironman widows. You can see why

Blimey - that's one hell of a sprint. I'd be knackered after the swim. I have an extremely inefficient style where I have to put in a shit ton of effort to move any kind of distance! I reckon I could manage the bike and the running part with a some training. Fair play to you though if you're thinking if stepping it up from there! Bloody hard work.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Fair enough ...

so with my weight, will my body be conditioned to burning calories at a slower rate because it’s used to grafting all day?

I always thought I could eat what I wanted you under the notion that I must burn an absolute shit load of calories at work, which I do according to my step monitor iPhone thing...but it’s obviously not the case. 

Not really. Although the denser your muscle is the more calories you'll burn naturally when you're at rest. I'm not sure it would burn calories at a different  rate. We see a lot of people at work who've done physical jobs all their lives and then retire and put on a shit load of weight relatively quickly because they're still eating for what they needed for heavy grafting. 

The Jamie Pollock diet if you will! :)

Jackfruit!!!

Mrs Manc's seen it on a programme tonight and made me watch it

Ripe and it's like mango/pineapple

Unripe you bake it supposed to taste like pulled pork

Supposed revelation. Low calories. Benefits of fruit, etc

She's pecking my head now at getting the unripe stuff to help shift our timber 

Any thoughts/experiences on the stuff???

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Jackfruit!!!

Mrs Manc's seen it on a programme tonight and made me watch it

Ripe and it's like mango/pineapple

Unripe you bake it supposed to taste like pulled pork

Supposed revelation. Low calories. Benefits of fruit, etc

She's pecking my head now at getting the unripe stuff to help shift our timber 

Any thoughts/experiences on the stuff???

Bought a tin of it from house of raja. One bite- into the compost.

Save your money and have a good shag; will burn more calories.

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bought a tin of it from house of raja. One bite- into the compost.

Save your money and have a good shag; will burn more calories.

Manc likes your idea

Mrs Manc wondered where the vitamins/minerals would come from

Manc was told to fuck off with his suggestion

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Manc likes your idea

Mrs Manc wondered where the vitamins/minerals would come from

Manc was told to fuck off with his suggestion

I watched the same programme and it was basically just a way of recreating the taste and texture of pulled pork for veggies. They had an expert on who reckoned it was essentially a carbohydrate with little nutritional value. Be just as well having a pasty barm. 

Managed Park Run on Saturday. Another 5km run on Sunday. And a home HIIT/boxing session last night. Gym this afternoon. Going to hurt.

Was hoping to swap out potatoes for parsnips & carrots this month..... but that's backfired. Parsnips contain even more carbs and sugar! Probably why I like them so much. Learn something new each day. Had a gander on Google for alternatives - found a list of low carb veg here. Back to Brocolli and Cauliflower rice again.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/21-best-low-carb-vegetables#section1

Edited by Smiley

down to 14.2 from 14.5 in a week

been to the gym doing a 10k of, 2.5 on the rower, 2.5 bike, 2.5 cross trainer and 2.5 run

and i did 18 holes of golf saturday

eat decent enough but not made to much of a drastic change

healthy brekkie and dinner and a normal tea

27 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I never eat breakfast, I reckon that's my big problem - not that I'm fat or anything mind, but i\ could do with being a bit fitter

If Garp had the balls to post and wasn't just a massive lurker fanny he would confirm Breakfast for you isn't the problem :D

Fuck me I’ve got a permanent bad headache

Breakfast now is either banana, honey and yoghurt or one slice of brown toast

Lunch is home-made soup and crackers if I’m at home or some low-calorie sandwich if I’m out and about

Tea is either salads or some sort of meat with a pile of veg

No booze at all Mon to Thurs

Only been going a week but Christ my head hurts - guessing it’s the carb reduction?? Not packed in the cigs yet but consumption has dropped dramatically with the alcohol reduction

10 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Fuck me I’ve got a permanent bad headache

Breakfast now is either banana, honey and yoghurt or one slice of brown toast

Lunch is home-made soup and crackers if I’m at home or some low-calorie sandwich if I’m out and about

Tea is either salads or some sort of meat with a pile of veg

No booze at all Mon to Thurs

Only been going a week but Christ my head hurts - guessing it’s the carb reduction?? Not packed in the cigs yet but consumption has dropped dramatically with the alcohol reduction

Deffo carb reduction mate. Will take a couple of weeks for your body to start eating in to stored fat and taking energy from elsewhere. Your body will be shitting it’s pants now thinking your stuck down a well or summet :D

Get a few bananas shoved down your trumpet early doors. Quick fix and easily got rid of. 

That’s the one. You can scan barcodes of any stuff in packs and it’s has a massive product libary to save you arsing about reading stuff.

plus it saves all your meals so you don’t have to re-enter stuff. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, gonzo said:

Deffo carb reduction mate. Will take a couple of weeks for your body to start eating in to stored fat and taking energy from elsewhere. Your body will be shitting it’s pants now thinking your stuck down a well or summet :D

Get a few bananas shoved down your trumpet early doors. Quick fix and easily got rid of. 

Been eating a banana every morning. Don't always feel like eating much early doors, but a banana does help.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

That’s the one. You can scan barcodes of any stuff in packs and it’s has a massive product libary to save you arsing about reading stuff.

Got a right slating in the news yesterday, causing people to be paranoid about food creating eating disorders

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

I would warn to not necessarily rely on the barcode bringing up the correct product/nutritional values so to double check the packet.