Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Fad diets piss me off. Fucking detox this and cleanse that. If you've got functioning organs they'll do all that for you. If you want to lose weight eat less and move more there's no need for any other bollocks. 

Yep.

Annual blood tests recently showed I needed to up my good cholesterol.

So I have started to modify what I eat; but it doesn't entail buying a book, or some such. Just common sense.

On 18 January 2019 at 12:52, Tonge moor green jacket said:

So I have started to modify what I eat; but it doesn't entail buying a book, or some such. Just common sense.

Alas, we have nation of folk without any common sense. And they do need help, books, TV shows, websites, etc. Can't believe that I heard 2/3 of our NHS staff are overweight - that's shocking.

• 2 weeks later...

Best tv show at the minute is Fresh Start with Tom Kerrridge. Bought the book from Costco. Some cracking meals.

Similarly, and more my own take, cannot beat peeling & chopping up a load of fresh root veg - sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, swede, beetroot and butternut squash. Big chunky pieces. A good dollop of olive oil. Into a baking tin with a fair old sprinkling of dry mixed herbs, salt & black pepper. Bang them in the oven 30-45 mins. Even try chucking a couple of quartered red onions on for good measure. 

Won’t want chips, pasta or rice again!!!

Edited by Smiley

37 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I've lost a stone since NYD

Great effort that mate, keep it going. 

I’m having a dabble with a keto type diet for a few weeks now. Basically replacing carbs with other stuff with hopefully as much energy.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Best tv show at the minute is Fresh Start with Tom Kerrridge. Bought the book from Costco. Some cracking meals.

Similarly, and more my own take, cannot beat peeling & chopping up a load of fresh root veg - sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, swede, beetroot and butternut squash. Big chunky pieces. A good dollop of olive oil. Into a baking tin with a fair old sprinkling of dry mixed herbs, salt & black pepper. Bang them in the oven 30-45 mins. Even try chucking a couple of quartered red onions on for good measure. 

Won’t want chips, pasta or rice again!!!

You can keep your beetroot from that list, parsnip tastes like acetone too.

Chuck some chillies in too, a bulb of garlic not peeled. Goes soft and sweet inside.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Making my cauliflower rice debut tonight. Rock and Roll baby :D

If you're making it from scratch, when your're finished your kitchen will look like the remnants from one of your Bing parties.

It does work quite well with my home made Chilli / curry. I make a load and freeze it in 250g portions - enough for 2 people.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Great effort that mate, keep it going. 

I’m having a dabble with a keto type diet for a few weeks now. Basically replacing carbs with other stuff with hopefully as much energy.

few factors, as obvious as some seem

1) sticking to my exercise plan of 2 five mile runs a week, and 2 30 min "hiit" sessions

2) diet - barely touched bread or crisps and tried to stay off the booze sun-weds.  porridge for breakfast most days, soup or salad for lunch - and omlettes or steak and salad or chicken stir fries for tea is now common place.  still have blowouts at the weekend

3) that myfitnesspal app - keeps me motivated to keep the calories down

don't reckon I've been this weight for at least 10 years

be amazed / delighted if I get under 13 stone - currently 13.4

33 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

few factors, as obvious as some seem

1) sticking to my exercise plan of 2 five mile runs a week, and 2 30 min "hiit" sessions

2) diet - barely touched bread or crisps and tried to stay off the booze sun-weds.  porridge for breakfast most days, soup or salad for lunch - and omlettes or steak and salad or chicken stir fries for tea is now common place.  still have blowouts at the weekend

3) that myfitnesspal app - keeps me motivated to keep the calories down

don't reckon I've been this weight for at least 10 years

be amazed / delighted if I get under 13 stone - currently 13.4

If you find yourself stalling ...remember to alter your cal target slightly. 

You're no longer a 14.4 stone man trying to drop a stone. You’re a 13.4 man trying to drop a stone! 

52 minutes ago, Gonk said:

If you're making it from scratch, when your're finished your kitchen will look like the remnants from one of your Bing parties.

It does work quite well with my home made Chilli / curry. I make a load and freeze it in 250g portions - enough for 2 people.

Might just have a bing party instead. No cals in that stuff :D

Only tried making cauliflower rice once and it went horrendously. Haven’t touched the blender since.

Beers at the game tomorrow and a curry in the evening then an all dayer in Halifax on Sunday. Low carb starts again Monday, though fuck knows how I’m going to manage with it at Birmingham away on Tuesday. Only need to lose another 3 pounds to get back to my lowest weight of last year so 7-10 days of low carb should sort that right out. 

Didn’t attempt to make it tonight, not enough time. 

Got the frozen stuff to with homemade curry. Not bad actually. Doesn’t really taste of much but either does the boiled rice I’ve been having either.

Only 49 calories per bag and 3.9g of carbs!  

That’s a good 100-150 less cals than the same amount of rice and probably about 30g less carbs.

Love finding stuff like that as it’s pretty much like for like and hardly life changing not having boiled rice. 

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Didn’t attempt to make it tonight, not enough time. 

Got the frozen stuff to with homemade curry. Not bad actually. Doesn’t really taste of much but either does the boiled rice I’ve been having either.

Only 49 calories per bag and 3.9g of carbs!  

That’s a good 100-150 less cals than the same amount of rice and probably about 30g less carbs.

Love finding stuff like that as it’s pretty much like for like and hardly life changing not having boiled rice. 

Next up is making Lasagne with butternut squash sheets instead of pasta. Not as nice, but virtually zero carbs.

And courgette spaghetti. If like me you get obsessed, you'll go out and buy a spiralizer to make your own! Again, a dash of olive oil on it, and its bang-on with some home-made bolognese.

Loving my potatoes again at the minute - which is my serious downfall.

8 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

porridge for breakfast most days

Have you tried your porridge oats in full fat greek yoghurt and unsweetened almond milk? Chuck in a few blueberries or a sprinkling of cinnamon. Bang in the fridge overnight. delicious. And very filling.

Baked my own granola the other night. It was the Friday Man U were playing Arsenal in the cup and Mrs had a face on when I said I wanted to watch it.... so instead I headed into the kitchen and thought, fuck it, will do some baking whilst I'm watching it.

Life is really becoming a bit sad and boring.

Batch roasted a load more veggies today, some butternut squash fries and made a huge veggie soup with some bits and bobs lurking in the bottom of the fridge. My mrs doesn't get a look-in now in the kitchen.

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Next up is making Lasagne with butternut squash sheets instead of pasta. Not as nice, but virtually zero carbs.

And courgette spaghetti. If like me you get obsessed, you'll go out and buy a spiralizer to make your own! Again, a dash of olive oil on it, and its bang-on with some home-made bolognese.

Great shout.

mrs made her and the kids a big fuck off lasagne on Tuesday. 

I was sat there drooling over it whilst eating my steamed chicken and rice :D

2 hours ago, Smiley said:

I was going to have a bash at the Hairy Bikers lasagne using leek sheets. 

On a similar theme, I now swear by cottage pie with butternut squash mash. Can quite happily have a Sunday roast as well with roasted butternut instead of spuds. 

With the courgetti, I literally just get a potato peeler and make thick ribbons of it. The cooking of it does tend to be a bit hit and miss though. Frying it didn’t seem to leave the right texture and boiling it made it soggy. Might try steaming it next time.