Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

11 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I was going to have a bash at the Hairy Bikers lasagne using leek sheets. 

On a similar theme, I now swear by cottage pie with butternut squash mash. Can quite happily have a Sunday roast as well with roasted butternut instead of spuds. 

With the courgetti, I literally just get a potato peeler and make thick ribbons of it. The cooking of it does tend to be a bit hit and miss though. Frying it didn’t seem to leave the right texture and boiling it made it soggy. Might try steaming it next time. 

Sometimes do my courgette & carrots in ribbons for salads and stir fries. 

You gone the next step with your cottage pie and tried meat free mince? More protein & zero fat?

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Meat free mince my arse.

Nearly gave you a call yesterday to help me peel my butternut squash and then cut the bastard up! Workout in itself!!

Also piling chunks of mango & chopped coriander leaves plus some chilli flakes into my salads to give them a bit of a kick. Tend to get pretty boring after a while otherwise!

Edited by Smiley

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Nearly gave you a call yesterday to help me peel my butternut squash and then cut the bastard up! Workout in itself!!

Also piling chunks of mango & chopped coriander leaves plus some chilli flakes into my salads to give them a bit of a kick. Tend to get pretty boring after a while otherwise!

Haha, chain saw on them buggers is a good idea. They're a danger when you apply so much pressure with a knife.

Love the idea of sweet and spicy in the salad.

I'm really into tagine dishes- North African/Mediterranean and also like Thai for similar reasons.

Started adding chick peas/pulses to dishes more and more to boost fibre etc and be able to reduce amount of red meat.

Not into false meat though- can't get my head round it. Things like spaghetti Bolognese for example, I'll reduce the mince somewhat and replace with lashings of mushrooms, and some spinach.

Although I've not tried it, I've heard of roasting butternut squash etc with a little cumin and honey on.

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Sometimes do my courgette & carrots in ribbons for salads and stir fries. 

You gone the next step with your cottage pie and tried meat free mince? More protein & zero fat?

Other half has used Quorn mince for her dinners this week and it tasted alright when I tried a bit so might give it a go at some point. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm really into tagine dishes- North African/Mediterranean and also like Thai for similar reasons.

Me too! Though my Moroccan stew on Monday night was an epic fail! The wholemeal cous cous was a bit minging and pretty much ruined the whole meal!

As for Thai/Far East - loving using fresh ginger, lemongrass and at certain times peanuts in sauces.

Had a stab at one of Ainsley Harriot's Caribbean dishes the other week using pineapple and coconut milk. Again, failed as it should've been coconut cream. Dish was somewhat watery! Worse still, had to buy a full bottle of the Spiced Rum for it.... 90% of the bottle sat in the cellar at home now waiting for summer time!

Tried Gousto boxes last couple of weeks. Pretty decent meals and good value when the boxes are on introductory offers. 

A couple of the recipes are definite keepers. Tandoori fish curry being one! 

Lost a few pound as I'm not going to supermarket for tea every night and stocking up on snacks / desserts. 

I've been using Mindful Chef recipe boxes for 15 months now.

Order by Thursday midnight and delivery on Monday (outside the M25).

This week's options were:

Seared duck with mango, chilli & courgetti;

Chicken Kiev with mustard parsnip mash;

Mexican chicken & black bean bake;

Roast trout, green beans & lemon vinaigrette;

Pan-fried pork, Asian slaw & peanut dressing;

Beef Bolognese with sweet potato mash;

Roasted squash, black chickpeas & green tahini;

Yellow Thai tofu & choi sum curry;

Creamy vegetable & borlotti bean 'pie';

Fruity pistachio, orange & chickpea pilaf;

Asian fish papillotte with roasted sweet potatoes;

Pulled barbecue jackfruit & avocado salsa;

Mexican-style steak, avocado salsa & brown rice;

Ginger chicken with black rice noodles & peanuts;

Roasted pesto salmon & Mediterranean-style lentils; and

Tofu tikka masala, roasted broccoli & brown rice.

22 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I always think, when something is described as pan fried, how else can you fry it?

Deep fat? 

How's 15 months of boxes gone Malc? 

Interested as I'm considering doing a couple of full price weeks of Gousto. Tried hello fresh previously but never wanted to pay full whack. 

14 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Deep fat? 

How's 15 months of boxes gone Malc? 

Interested as I'm considering doing a couple of full price weeks of Gousto. Tried hello fresh previously but never wanted to pay full whack. 

The boxes go back for free via Collectplus, or to my daughter's rabbit.

My cooking skills have gone from fairly good to wow.

Also although I only order 3 meals I can often make another with leftovers (e.g. half a cauliflower/sweet potato/mango, etc).

The meat is organic and tastes better than anything I've ever bought from a supermarket. Meals are generally 500 to 650 calories, and preparation plus cooking time under 40 minutes.

If you quote https://www.mindfulchef.com/?referral_code=VMFYHP you will get an introductory discount of £20 and I will also get a similar credit.

Edited by MalcolmW

11 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

The boxes go back for free via Collectplus, or to my daughter's rabbit.

My cooking skills have gone from fairly good to wow.

Also although I only order 3 meals I can often make another with leftovers (e.g. half a cauliflower/sweet potato/mango, etc).

The meat is organic and tastes better than anything I've ever bought from a supermarket. Meals are generally 500 to 650 calories, and preparation plus cooking time under 40 minutes.

If you quote https://www.mindfulchef.com/?referral_code=VMFYHP you will get an introductory discount of £20 and I will also get a similar credit.

Very similar experiences here from gousto and hello fresh.

If you are used to chucking a jar of dolmio on mince it's a faff but if you can cook a tiny bit it helps you vary what sort of meals you can make massively. 

Still both overweight mind! 

17 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

We get those Gusto weekly boxes on occasion, really lovely and good portions.

well worth it if you’ve not got muchbtime at home to prepare your evening meals.

Just had a look. They're well dear! You can do a spag bol for £6 that will do you for 2 or 3 meals!

14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Just had a look. They're well dear! You can do a spag bol for £6 that will do you for 2 or 3 meals!

We were throwing away a load of food weekly shopping, and this makes it easier to try new meals, that are healthy with no waste - plus no more shopping.

its not cheap, but we do it for the weeks we’re not in/back late so we’re not just having takeaways - that way it saves money, we eat well, throw away less and save time.