Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

• 4 weeks later...

Sacked the gym off for 3 weeks and stuck to road running 3-4 times a week. 5-6k at a time.

blasted the black zone fat I was struggling to shift. Lost muscle but so be it.

Down to 12.2 stone, target under 12. 

• Moderators
19 hours ago, gonzo said:

Sacked the gym off for 3 weeks and stuck to road running 3-4 times a week. 5-6k at a time.

blasted the black zone fat I was struggling to shift. Lost muscle but so be it.

Down to 12.2 stone, target under 12. 

Same here, except for the muscle bit (none to lose)

Aim to do two five miles and one 5k a week

Managing to start below 13 stone, just about

Entered some 10ks in July and September

Then I may consider a half marathon next year

If you can do a 10k, half isn’t that much of a leap. Doing the Folkestone one in September. If there are Runthrough events near you, get to them, great for the price - really well organised. Lucky here in London they do Chase The Sun 10ks after work in the summer.

• Site Supporter

Joined Kings Gym in Farnworth this morning, £20 a month rolling contract with 24/7 access, so I can bob down after the kids are in bed (wife goes to bed really early). 

Weighed myself at 19 stone 6 lbs.

Not so fussy about losing weight but want to lose fat. 

Got my eye's on aiming for strongman type events, reckon at my size it's a decent enough ambition (looooong way to go), but clearly running isn't my thing 😛

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

If you can do a 10k, half isn’t that much of a leap. Doing the Folkestone one in September. If there are Runthrough events near you, get to them, great for the price - really well organised. Lucky here in London they do Chase The Sun 10ks after work in the summer.

I've done the Great North Run twice

last time in 1h 59m in 2004

I'd consider doing it again if I thought I could beat that time

so going to see what my official 10k times are this time round (got my PB of 52m around 3 or 4 years ago, before plantar facisitus and injury  kicked in)

at this point I definltey can't  be arsed doing a full marathon (never done one either)

19 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

I've done the Great North Run twice

last time in 1h 59m in 2004

I'd consider doing it again if I thought I could beat that time

so going to see what my official 10k times are this time round (got my PB of 52m around 3 or 4 years ago, before plantar facisitus and injury  kicked in)

at this point I definltey can't  be arsed doing a full marathon (never done one either)

Yeah - I keep putting the marathon off just because of the time training. Did Manchester half in 1hr 31 - but not going for that in Folkestone, was totally fucked by the end. I think 10k is my favourite distance - great because you don't have to think about pacing and can just burn it round. I've said it before but the biggest thing to help my pace was hill repeats

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yeah - I keep putting the marathon off just because of the time training. Did Manchester half in 1hr 31 - but not going for that in Folkestone, was totally fucked by the end. I think 10k is my favourite distance - great because you don't have to think about pacing and can just burn it round. I've said it before but the biggest thing to help my pace was hill repeats

Yep. Hill reps and negative splits (run 20 minutes in one direction and try to get back in 19)

Tri season just started again for me yesterday. Only a sprint but building up to a 'Half Distance' in July

I'm also doing Helvellyn Tri in September.

Always try and do my 5ks with negatives (always let myself down on the 3k!) I find trying to run a fast 5k is much worse than a longer, slower run. Almost got under 20 last year - not close at all this year, 20.53 my best so far.

With Hill Reps, I do 5x - 30 sec sprint, jog down to start, turn 40 sec sprint, jog down to start - absolute killer. 

17 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Always try and do my 5ks with negatives (always let myself down on the 3k!) I find trying to run a fast 5k is much worse than a longer, slower run. Almost got under 20 last year - not close at all this year, 20.53 my best so far.

With Hill Reps, I do 5x - 30 sec sprint, jog down to start, turn 40 sec sprint, jog down to start - absolute killer. 

I don't bother with negatives in a 5km. It's a balls out sprint. I broke 20 last November. 19.45. A mate of mine paced me round. It nearly broke me (I'm 52) but I've ticked it off. 😁

Trying to break 1:30 half marathon this year. Paddock Wood I did 1:30:07 😬

Fell off the wagon end of March. Terrible month in April with back issues and a CBA attitude to working out.

Been the gym a couple of times last couple of weeks - working at home a lot and basically raiding the cupboards and fridge every 10-20 mins. Out of shape and lacking the inspiration to get back on it!

The chippy tits are nearly back!

6 hours ago, floyd said:

I don't bother with negatives in a 5km. It's a balls out sprint. I broke 20 last November. 19.45. A mate of mine paced me round. It nearly broke me (I'm 52) but I've ticked it off. 😁

Trying to break 1:30 half marathon this year. Paddock Wood I did 1:30:07 😬

Good effort - yes I think I’ll need a pacer to get me over that particular line. If work slows down I could look at a quick time in Sept but we’ll see - I’m actually enjoying just running at the moment without the pressure of training. Lovely 10k at lunch round Regents Park (the only downside is having to navigate through Camden Lock to get there!)

17 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Good effort - yes I think I’ll need a pacer to get me over that particular line. If work slows down I could look at a quick time in Sept but we’ll see - I’m actually enjoying just running at the moment without the pressure of training. Lovely 10k at lunch round Regents Park (the only downside is having to navigate through Camden Lock to get there!)

I don't like running in Central London. Was on a project in Waterloo these last three years and the amount of runners up and down Southbank of a lunchtime was amazing. I've maintained my fitness from Ironman last year and my shorter distance times are better and better. No doubt I'll 'do a hammy' at some stage but, like you, for now I'm really enjoying my running. :D

I’d never go and do the south bank but there are some great quiet spots for lunchtimes - regents canal is good, round the backstreets of islington or Somers Town the other way.

The back streets of Camden are good up to Primrose Hill - never had any bother there. 

But love running around Shortlands where I live - it’s a valley so decent hills as well and some good woodlands so a nice mix of road and easy trail.

The commitment for Ironman is a bit much for me - fair play, got a friend doing it this time, never seems to stop training!

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:52, Not in Crawley said:

I’d never go and do the south bank but there are some great quiet spots for lunchtimes - regents canal is good, round the backstreets of islington or Somers Town the other way.

The back streets of Camden are good up to Primrose Hill - never had any bother there. 

But love running around Shortlands where I live - it’s a valley so decent hills as well and some good woodlands so a nice mix of road and easy trail.

The commitment for Ironman is a bit much for me - fair play, got a friend doing it this time, never seems to stop training!

Aye. I live up near Cockfosters and Trent Park. Fantastic trails up there (and one or two hills)

And yes, both times I've done Ironman I quit the booze for 6 months. Couldn't face getting on the bike at 5.30 on a Sunday morning still pissed from the night before. Fantastic achievement though. You should try at least a sprint distance. I rarely get running injuries now I can bike and run too.

• Moderators

ran 5 miles yesterday in what is probably the quickest I've ever ran it - 41m 55s - 8:23 per mile

normally do a fast first mile and then slow down gradually over 2, 3 & 4 before speeding up again on 5

this time 2 was slowest and 3, 4 & 5 were progressively faster

no idea why other than natural progress 

anyway

10k PB is 53:47 which was 5 years ago, so now aim has to be to beat that when I do my next one in July

On 07/05/2019 at 15:53, Not in Crawley said:

You can’t beat some good hill reps to get the ticker going. I did some last week on a hill that’s not far off vertical. I checked my heart rate after the 4th one and it was 198. Let’s say I broke into a steady walk after that!

considering us footy fans are meant to be lager swilling fat louts there’s some pretty impressive times being posted up for the runs. 

I’m just delighted to stay at 10mph for the one 7.5km road run a week that I do. Just tried to replicate it and only managed to do 4.4km in 28 minutes. Too much pick and mix at the cinema last night. 

That said, my dream (and I mean dream) weight when I started to try and sort my shit out in June 2014 was 181 pounds - purely because it meant I could stay my weight started with “12 stone...” - and I’m on 183/6 at the minute with the hope of dropping those last two (and maybe a couple more) before holiday at the end of June. Not bad from a starting weight of 255 pounds.