Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

• Moderators
On 09/09/2019 at 11:33, Big E said:

top effort. 

I am injured at the moment and its killing me. i didnt realise how much runnings helps you feel good. 

Whats the salford run like ? 

It's alright, pretty flat, though the starting line area was a bit small and was very busy, pain in the arse getting over the starting line and getting going

13 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

It's alright, pretty flat, though the starting line area was a bit small and was very busy, pain in the arse getting over the starting line and getting going

That’s the problem when you are fast. Us waddlers are fine ha ha 

• 3 weeks later...

Advice needed please from the runners amongst us

after a year of excess so far I’ve decided to shift some timber. Used to run but never seriously but want to get into it  I can’t really do gym due to a neck issue so running is really my only choice 

what would be best suggestion. Is it pick is route map it out and then basically try run it and keep doing same route and see when I can comfortably run it then extend the route?

or would one of these couch to 10k programmes be better? Mix of running and walking intervals ?

cheers in advance 

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

after a year of excess so far I’ve decided to shift some timber. Used to run but never seriously but want to get into it  I can’t really do gym due to a neck issue so running is really my only choice 

what would be best suggestion. Is it pick is route map it out and then basically try run it and keep doing same route and see when I can comfortably run it then extend the route?

or would one of these couch to 10k programmes be better? Mix of running and walking intervals ?

cheers in advance 

The NHS couch to 5k app is pretty good. Especially if you want coaching from Michael Johnson! :)

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

cheers in advance 

Take it nice and steady. Run till your out of breath then stop and walk till you can talk normally. You wont be burning any body fat whilst chugging along gasping for air. 

Get some beats going, preferably some dance stuff that you can run to the beat. Helped me massively that did. I’m on full gabba techno now haha

Have a big fuck off coffee before you go and get your stretches done. 

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Take it nice and steady. Run till your out of breath then stop and walk till you can talk normally. You wont be burning any body fat whilst chugging along gasping for air. 

Get some beats going, preferably some dance stuff that you can run to the beat. Helped me massively that did. I’m on full gabba techno now haha

Have a big fuck off coffee before you go and get your stretches done. 

Don’t drink coffee and thinking a line won’t have the desired effect 👀

about to head out now see how far I can manage

got to start somewhere though 💪🏽

Well did the half yesterday, much slower than Manchester but pleased to get some further miles in the legs.

Id say it’s different for everyone, don’t rush, build into it and don’t run against your watch - you won’t enjoy it.

I don’t run with music, prefer just to concentrate on the run and for long distance it becomes a bit of a calming thing, it’s a cliche but run the mile your in really just chills me out, listening to your breathing, what’s hurting, what isn’t etc

Also find what distance works for you, my fav is a fast 10k - doesn’t kill you or take up your day. I like doing hill repeats as well and those really help in the longer runs.

The couch to 5k didn’t work for me, I preferred just to go but I did injure myself thinking I was fitter than I was - my muscles just couldn’t cope without building them up first. Get some decent trainers - go to Run and Become in Edinburgh, they’ll measure your gait and you can try on. Bit more expensive but then I re-buy the old season’s trainers on Amazon for about £40 less - and if you’re not bother about the colourways you can get much cheaper. 

After three years, I still love it, much fitter, can have ale and burn it off and sorts my head out - just a 20 min 5k will cheer me up. Good luck!

Just back. 2 miles covered in 22 minutes that was a lot of running and a couple of walking intervals (needed as was blowing out my arse. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will rest up tomorrow and then back out Wednesday. 

I agree with you NIC no music I find the sound of the run quite therapeutic and allows me to concentrate on my breathing and get into a rhythm

aim is to do 5km without stopping within 4 weeks so it’s a start thanks for all the advice 

park run first weekend in November is the target 

• Members

Walking football and a hybrid Weight Watchers programe. Works for me in no time. Now winter is over down here, much easier to avoid the stodgy food cravings.

5 kilos in a fortnight. Still another 3-5 to go to get back to my perfect feighting weight. The first 5 kilos is always fairly easy, goes much slower now but it does go.

16 hours ago, Escobarp said:

cheers in advance 

I had never run before and did the couch to 5k. I have now completed 3 half marathons in 2019 (Albeit currently injured but thats another story).

I found getting out for time and monitoring it via strava has helped. being able to run for 30 minutes should be the initial target. 

to keep it interesting mix sessions between hill sessions, sprint sessions / speed work and distance sessions. 

Park run is a great way to get you moving. 

Pick a couple of races you fancy and build up to them that way. DO NOT do too much too soon or you will hate it and stop. 

Oh and make sure you have some proper running trainers, get to a running shop and get your gate done. running in shit shoes is no good for you. 

Yeah, i need to get back on it as I've gone to shit this year too. I went on two runs last month the first one went ok but on the second one both my achilles were sore before i started, but like a dickhead i still went on it and as a result i could barely walk after 😂

Just bought myself some new 11 & 1/2 moon boots. And I'm getting right now so gonna try again later this week or next. No doubt I'll be spraying myself with WD40 before and after.

Perhaps better advice for spring and summer but I always try and run pathways rather than roads - you're away from direct traffic polllution which has an alarming effect on o2 sats and heartrate, the surfaces are usually more uniform and there's less crossings.

My usual run is along the old Bolton-Eccles line, 6km circuit from my front door with two nice climbs and only Minerva Road, Plodder Lane and Highfield Road to cross.

If you get a tracking app (Mapmyride is good and free, the basic one) you can monitor your progress and look at stats etc.

If you've access to a cheap gym to use a treadmill that's another way to build stamina and not slack off during winter (until you're fully converted and religious) - more incline than speed will get your fitness levels up, imo there's no point tanking along like Seb Coe on the flat or a slight incline, metres climbed/minutes is a good yardstick to measure fitness by - then there's this calculator which then gives you your 'flat' stats.

https://42.195km.net/e/treadsim/

You'll soon be looking like the rest of us - anorexic Clint Eastwoods with bad A.I.D.s. 😉

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Oh aye, each to their own but I reckon' this gait analysis is hokum - I even think I run quickest in a pancaked pair of ZX where I can feel even the tiniest stone the sole has worn so thin. I almost never get (running) injuries (cue ten month layoff) - as I've got fitter (and older) and more in tune I've no doubt adapted my running style to a better one, rather than plowing on running like a m0ngo with special m0ngo shoes 😐

It's a sport and should be refined as such, we don't persist in doggy paddling or toebunging footballs, so why don't we change our running styles?

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I have running trainers which have been selected  to suit my running(plodding gait). 

I have a 2 mile circuit that I am just going to keep attempting every other day until I can run it none stop and then add to it. 

On my days in between I am just doing some walking to keep my legs from seizing up. Struggle with a neck issue so can’t get down the gym and do weights etc which is unfortunate. Likely to require surgery end of year so  Aim is to try and lose 10kg between now and Xmas when I would be having my surgery . Booze is going out the window in the main and junk food. Strange time of year to embark on a weight loss plan but I feel shocking and enough is enough time for change and figure I will be laid up a while post op so want to try and get myself in a good place 

whether 10kg in 12 weeks is realistic I’m not sure!

20 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement. I have running trainers which have been selected  to suit my running(plodding gait). 

I have a 2 mile circuit that I am just going to keep attempting every other day until I can run it none stop and then add to it. 

On my days in between I am just doing some walking to keep my legs from seizing up. Struggle with a neck issue so can’t get down the gym and do weights etc which is unfortunate. Likely to require surgery end of year so  Aim is to try and lose 10kg between now and Xmas when I would be having my surgery . Booze is going out the window in the main and junk food. Strange time of year to embark on a weight loss plan but I feel shocking and enough is enough time for change and figure I will be laid up a while post op so want to try and get myself in a good place 

I've had problems with my knee and hip recently and it has been down to not doing the squats etc. 

They are shit but you need to build your legs up if you intend to run or you will struggle long term. it will also allow you to get better 

Also after long runs, it kills my appetite, as the body moves way to just working on the essentials to keep you moving, so its not until the day after I can eat properly again, or I feel sick, I just have to have small amounts or fruit. Burnt over 6,000 kcals on sunday, what you learn is how much bad food contributes - a burning 5km is abut the same as a burger, ts not worth eating the shit once you've put in the good work

I would definitely listen to what Youri has advised. After a couple of years of intermittently running various road circuits close to where I live (anything from a 3km - 10km loop) - I was doing pretty well, but then an injury or two and I totally lost interest. TBH I had probably already lost interest - road running is just so boring. And there's the added dangers of being mown over.

A week or so ago I decided to give the running a go again but avoided the roads and opted for Sale & Chorlton waterparks. Did a 2.8km loop of the Sale lake - quite slow at 15-20 mins, got back to the car, had a drink of water. Took off a layer and then cracked on with running down to Chorlton and a loop of that lake before returning to the car. Took about 32 mins. Scenery was worthwhile, no cars, no headphone.... oh and it was sunny. Enjoyed it so much I went back and did it again 2 days later. And quite a bit faster. Decided that I'd much sooner do that now - worth the 10 min drive out. 

I've done Entwistle & Wayoh many moons ago - and think they'd be a similar interesting run away from the roads. Will probably head up there and entertain that soon.

25 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Aim for inches, belt notches, etc, instead. Weight can be a downer if you don't achieve certain goals. Whereas you'll notice clothing slackening off immediately.