Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

The worst junk food is simple carbs; bread (easiest offender), pasta, white rice and (to a lesser extent) spuds - we pile them up especially with evening meals, they pretty much ensure any fats etc. adhere to us as excess weight. Cut them completely - it's a tough ask as we crave them like addicts used to quick fixes, but it's the key to losing weight imo.

I was 100+kg (6' 2") at my fitness nadir about four years ago and then was killing myself on the road, the pool, the gym yet my weight refused to budge below 90kg until I cut the crap carbs.

I'm about 83-85kg now - which I was, according to some print your weight machine receipts I found, in my prime fitness years of my late 20s/early 30s...I'll now allow the odd bit of bread, rice, spuds or pasta go under the radar but never like in the amounts of the past.

Oh aye, cutting out the ale may have helped a tad too...

I agree with Smiley about not obsessing over weights - neck a pint of water and you've gained over half a kilo, a decent piss and you'll lose similar...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Also after long runs, it kills my appetite, as the body moves way to just working on the essentials to keep you moving, so its not until the day after I can eat properly again, or I feel sick, I just have to have small amounts or fruit. Burnt over 6,000 kcals on sunday, what you learn is how much bad food contributes - a burning 5km is abut the same as a burger, ts not worth eating the shit once you've put in the good work

I’m the same with food, but think I’d be a bit different if I burnt 6000 calories!

How did you manage that? When I ran Manchester marathon in April I burnt about 2500 calories.

Edited by QFPants

He's doing a solo sled-pull to the South Pole...

Don't we burn around 2000kcal a day doing nowt but existing?

Still 4000 on top of that is some going.

Mapmyride reckons my 6km run burns around 600, the treadmill at the gym calorie-counter reads similar like-for-like.

Maybe NiC ran a couple of fast 15k's - it's not beyond belief?

As an aside, a bloke who lives near me runs home from home matches, possibly outward as well, never seen him set off, though seen him almost back when I get the match bus back - I bet he's mid fifties an' all...One way of staying off the beer I suppose, though he'd go up in my estimation if he was having a swift two before kickoff and a nice four-pinter h/t (with a 'one for the stairwell' half of cider to finish)...*

*That was my usual former m.o. 😕

Edited by Youri McAnespie

2 hours ago, QFPants said:

I’m the same with food, but think I’d be a bit different if I burnt 6000 calories!

How did you manage that? When I ran Manchester marathon in April I burnt about 2500 calories.

Did a load of hills, but started at 5.30, then sorted the house, went shopping with the kids, went down to Canterbury- by the time I went to bed did over 6,000 - shocked myself!!! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Do you not find yourself running in time with the music?

For years I avoided running with music as I thought it would ruin the running rhythm I had and affect my pace.

I started running with music a couple of years ago (the Mrs bought me one of those phone holders that straps round your arm and I felt I should show willing to use it) and the music didn’t affect the consistency of my pace at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As much as we all like handing out the advice to each other. There's nothing worse than falling off the wagon. I've had about 6 weeks of major inactivity. Started with a cold I couldn't shift, then got involved in some office refurb work and then did some contract work - all-in, didn't have time for the gym, running, any exercise.

And the worst bit. Started having burgers from fast food outlets. Chocolate (lots of it). Biscuits. Chocolate hobnobs. The odd chippy tea and a couple at lunch as well. Would always finish off my toddler's meals if she left a bit (and the Mrs food as well). Crisps. Snacks. Peanut butter. And without fail a big bowl of Greek yoghurt with granola, fruit, honey and sometime a crumbled biscuit on it for supper. I reckon that was every night for last 3 months.

Got back after my "Peppa Pig" break the other week and looked pregnant. I was fuckin' gutted TBH.

Managed a full week now with no biscuits or crisps. Cut out the potatoes, rice, pasta and bread (though I succumbed last night and had some sour dough with mussels - you can't mop up the juice without!). No suppers. And back on eggs for breakfast with no toast or crumpets or cereal. Tried to avoid alcohol but had half a bottle of red on Saturday night after our victory.

Also managed 3 days at the gym including one PT session, a couple of 5-8km walks and a couple of home HIIT sessions. Need to get back on the exercise regime now.

Hopefully keep all of this up until 1st December. Then its going to be tough with the Mince pies flying around!

10 minutes ago, Smiley said:

As much as we all like handing out the advice to each other. There's nothing worse than falling off the wagon. I've had about 6 weeks of major inactivity. Started with a cold I couldn't shift, then got involved in some office refurb work and then did some contract work - all-in, didn't have time for the gym, running, any exercise.

And the worst bit. Started having burgers from fast food outlets. Chocolate (lots of it). Biscuits. Chocolate hobnobs. The odd chippy tea and a couple at lunch as well. Would always finish off my toddler's meals if she left a bit (and the Mrs food as well). Crisps. Snacks. Peanut butter. And without fail a big bowl of Greek yoghurt with granola, fruit, honey and sometime a crumbled biscuit on it for supper. I reckon that was every night for last 3 months.

Got back after my "Peppa Pig" break the other week and looked pregnant. I was fuckin' gutted TBH.

Managed a full week now with no biscuits or crisps. Cut out the potatoes, rice, pasta and bread (though I succumbed last night and had some sour dough with mussels - you can't mop up the juice without!). No suppers. And back on eggs for breakfast with no toast or crumpets or cereal. Tried to avoid alcohol but had half a bottle of red on Saturday night after our victory.

Also managed 3 days at the gym including one PT session, a couple of 5-8km walks and a couple of home HIIT sessions. Need to get back on the exercise regime now.

Hopefully keep all of this up until 1st December. Then its going to be tough with the Mince pies flying around!

I think any mere mortal always struggles at this time of year. Getting up in the dark, getting home in the dark and being baltic. Guess the key is to find some comfort food and pack it with veg so that the calories are kind.

Having gone all out for the first 6 months of the year to get myself holiday ready, I feel as though I've fallen off the wagon as well and have certainly had a massive increase in biscuits and chocolates and whatnot. In reality though I'm still only level with my post-holiday weight so have pretty much maintained for a few months which I'm pretty happy with, particularly as my current weight (12 stone 13) was initially my ultimate dream weight when I started off at 18 stone 3 five years ago.

Got a weekend in Edinburgh at the end of the month and then a couple of days in Berlin in mid-December so I'm hoping to keep things strict in the meantime and so that I can use those trips as a bit of a blow out (along with Peterborough away) and same again come Christmas Day. Hoping my Christmas gain won't be anywhere near my usual 8-9 pounds, mainly because I've pledged not to buy in much extra food and will certainly be steering away from any extra cheese or beer.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Smiley said:

I had a period of increase boozing / eating shit, combined with a bad cold, combined with being busy leading to little/no exercise and weight gain

touched back on 13stone breifly

just ran 5km and plan to do 2 more this week, and not booze till friday...

then get back into some 5 miles runs before the christmas sesason ruins everything

if I can be under 13 stone on new year's day, I will be very happy as I started off the year on 14stone 4lbs with the aim of getting and staying below 13

24 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I had a period of increase boozing / eating shit, combined with a bad cold, combined with being busy leading to little/no exercise and weight gain

touched back on 13stone breifly

just ran 5km and plan to do 2 more this week, and not booze till friday...

then get back into some 5 miles runs before the christmas sesason ruins everything

if I can be under 13 stone on new year's day, I will be very happy as I started off the year on 14stone 4lbs with the aim of getting and staying below 13

Out of interest given the similarity in weight to myself, how tall are you Zico?

21 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

You’re only slightly over the BMI level you should be at, dependent on your age 

Question Rudy as you evidently know your stuff. BMI. Decent metric or not always applicable?

use myself and a friend of mine as examples. 

im very broad and heavy built always have been and my BMI target weight I’ve not been at since I was 14 years old if it is to be taken literally. I’m overweight now but c3 years ago trained hard and ate well and wasn’t carrying much excess timber and would still have been 2 stone over my BMI recommenced range. That can’t be right? 

I also  have a mate who is huge. 19 stone 6ft 2 and built like a tank with arms bigger than my thighs. His BMI has him as morbidly obese. His body fat is sub 10% I believe

• Members
57 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Question Rudy as you evidently know your stuff. BMI. Decent metric or not always applicable?

use myself and a friend of mine as examples. 

im very broad and heavy built always have been and my BMI target weight I’ve not been at since I was 14 years old if it is to be taken literally. I’m overweight now but c3 years ago trained hard and ate well and wasn’t carrying much excess timber and would still have been 2 stone over my BMI recommenced range. That can’t be right? 

I also  have a mate who is huge. 19 stone 6ft 2 and built like a tank with arms bigger than my thighs. His BMI has him as morbidly obese. His body fat is sub 10% I believe

Not always applicable, it’s a rough guide IMO to use. But it’s a good starting point if you want to lose weight. And they’re all very subjective, an example would be your mate but also weight lifters,  they have very little body fat but a lot of muscle which, effectively weighs more. But if you put their details into the BMI index they would be obese. 
So a starting point I would look at a BMI but then any fitness plan I made would be tailored made to that individual.

I think the NHS now take into consideration activity now before calculating your BMI. I certainly do. I’m 13.6 and 6’1 so I would be overweight, but I’m a massively into my fitness so i would be declared a healthy weight

Edited by Rudy’s Message

3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

I feel better knowing other folk fall off from time-to-time as you and Leyther have said. Hard work maintaining a healthy living! I did forget to mention my increased booze intake also. The wife has now gone to 4 days at work. Which means her weekends starts on Thursday evening - which means drinking on Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun nowadays!

Went to Costco last Monday to stock up on the protein. Shitloads of chicken, turkey, salmon. My main challenge was walking past the woman handing out free chocolate brownies. I managed it. Normally I'd have had one. Then been cheeky with her and took a second - and then probably done a lap of the aisles and gone back for 3rds! I felt a sense of achievement having none!! haha.