Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

On 24 November 2019 at 09:39, Leyther_Matt said:

Met my dad for tea last night once we got back from Accy. Went in with all intentions of having chicken breast and jacket potato and salad. Ended up with a pile of roast beef, a mountain of roast potato-sized chips, veg and gravy. Then went to Spar on the way home for some cookies, Haribo, chocolate brownies and custard. Think I'd have been better off going on the piss all day.

haha! Classic! I managed to stave off the cravings, after 10-12 pints at the match, with some old school whizz!! At my age! Shocking! Worked a treat - didn't eat again until Sunday afternoon.

On 24 November 2019 at 13:53, Rudy’s Message said:

I’d suggest getting Christmas out of the way just would be easier 

See, that's a failure straight away. There's 5 weeks until 1st Jan. And let's face it, those who starts diets in Jan don't really try properly until about the 6/7th when back at work and all the cupboards have been raided. So in theory, thats another 6 weeks of "not trying" and probably worsening the situation.

My opinion would be to crack on now. Don't wait. And hang fire on the mince pies - set yourself a target - none before 20th December. None after 1st January!! Same with chocolates.

Crack on with the exercise regime now in between your Xmas parties. Throw in some walks if you are feeling rough. Basically don't sit and fester and expect miracles - they won't happen.

Had 4 mornings of Kale, Spinach & Almond Milk smoothies to kick-start the days this week. Its grim, but its a necessity! Had my first crumpet in over 2 weeks this morning. Still not buckled on the biscuits yet.

• Members
26 minutes ago, Smiley said:

See, that's a failure straight away. There's 5 weeks until 1st Jan. And let's face it, those who starts diets in Jan don't really try properly until about the 6/7th when back at work and all the cupboards have been raided. So in theory, thats another 6 weeks of "not trying" and probably worsening the situation.

My opinion would be to crack on now. Don't wait. And hang fire on the mince pies - set yourself a target - none before 20th December. None after 1st January!! Same with chocolates.

Crack on with the exercise regime now in between your Xmas parties. Throw in some walks if you are feeling rough. Basically don't sit and fester and expect miracles - they won't happen.

Had 4 mornings of Kale, Spinach & Almond Milk smoothies to kick-start the days this week. Its grim, but its a necessity! Had my first crumpet in over 2 weeks this morning. Still not buckled on the biscuits yet.

You can try now but I wouldn’t take any drastic measures until the temptations are out of way especially if you’re going to be exercising outside

Get it prepped now, Make a plan and start slow and small, small gains long term benefits.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
3 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

The good old NHS health check tells me my liver isn't quite doing as well as it should be so ale needs to get cut right down and so does some weight. Don't even consider myself much of a drinker these days but them units soon add up.

Friend of mine is a quack and she reckons for every alcoholic drink you need three times the amount of water for it not to have a detrimental effect of your organs. 

Not sure where the fun in that is.

• Members
48 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I drink more water than anything, except tea maybe.

Water is taken for granted so much. To perform at your optimum water is essential. 
Bollocks to whey protein or creatine or any juice that Karen on Facebook is selling. If you want to be healthy want to lose weight, want to get fit always starts with water. 

• Members

Body needs it to function. 
Organs need hydration, the brain needs it. Diluted the sugars and fats in your body, helps you break them down a lot easier than any other drink. 
If you’re thirsty you’re past dehydration  and your body then has to work harder.

If anyone comes to me for fitness advice first thing I ask, how much water do you drink, and it’s always followed up with it needs increasing. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Also, if you put a little bit of cordial in, does that matter?

Water with cordial is better than no water. 

I suppose beers which are more ales than lager would hydrate you more. 

Wine is bad for dehydration,  spirits with orange juice will hydrate you better than vodka and coke for example. 

It is important but it's got ridiculous these days with kids having bottles of water with em in every lesson. How much water do marathon runners take in during their efforts? I've run marathons myself and drank very little during them, wouldn't have dreamed of even having any water on a run less than say 16 miles.

I'm currently having some water with apple in it in case the doctor is a WW member.

• Members
11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

It really is a fair question. They reckon a decent lager is about 90-95% water so why isn't it almost good for you?

I don’t know what the ingredient or if it’s the sugars or a specific ingredient but there is something that causes dehydration in lager especially.

Thats why I drink Guinness and I’m a fine specimen of a man 😁

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Alcohol makes you piss and stops your body absorbing the water and that's why you get dehydrated when you drink. We all have one mate who breaks the seal and goes every 10 minutes after that.

Aye. It does funny things, lowers blood sugar levels iirc, hence why you feel hungry after a session.

Alcohol free beers are good in that regard, as the minerals and good bits from barley etc are there.

Couple of times recently I've woken up with a mouth like a bird cage and a headache. Won't do any harm in supping more water still.