Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

23 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Just about to purchase a garmin watch, the 645 is available at £175 (£199 with music), looking to bring all the MFP and Strava together to nail a decent diet whilst building up my running 

Would you recommend any particular model before I jump in? 

Also, what’s this about smart scales linking into the data as well? 

Think the 645 is spot on. As far as I can tell the music stuff is quite limited, only an extra £25 but I always have my phone on me when I run so not sure it’s worth the extra.

Smart scales just add additional metrics. Not sure how accurate they are so it’s true they’re probably not great for weight loss, but as that’s not your goal I find the data interesting, step on mine each morning to track progress and most apps sync together these days.

2 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Ironman is a no from me, I’m not a strong swimmer at all. Lengths in a pool but nothing else. I’m doing the full one in April. I’ve done London twice. Feel I’m in miles better physical shape this time round though.

Heaton park is great because it’s fairly flat with one big incline

Id be fine at Ironman if there was no cycling or swimming involved.

I haven't booked any events yet, any recommendations for a fast half marathon that’s local are appreciated.

9 hours ago, QFPants said:

I haven't booked any events yet, any recommendations for a fast half marathon that’s local are appreciated.

Maybe have a look at the ones in/near Blackpool if that's local enough, I've done the one on the front (if it's still going) and that was flat and boring and there's also the windmill one.

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Maybe have a look at the ones in/near Blackpool if that's local enough, I've done the one on the front (if it's still going) and that was flat and boring and there's also the windmill one.

Windmill one? You get to knock fuck out of other runners? Might go watching. 🙂

17 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I’ve done the Blackpool half marathon on the front before now, flat as a pancake but you might come unstuck with wind 

i did it 3 years ago, I was flying with a fellow runner off here, hit a slight head wind after about 3 miles, shit it was cold, ended up slowing right down, 

we run it with the full marathon,i said to my daughter last 100 yards you can run in with me, so as she started the people there started cheering really loud, it was only the winner of the marathon finishing same time as my half :lol:

Nearly 12 months since I quit the cigs. Got the vape down to a very low nicotine level so next step is to quit that and cut down on the wine consumption 

Piled on 2 stone as a downside though through lack of exercise. Engaged in an ongoing argument with Pennine Musculoskeletal Services about the osteoarthritis in my big toes. I want the op to shave off the bony growths in the joints. They insisted on another steroid injection under X-Ray the other week which has done fuck all as I predicted. The argument continues......

Really need to get back into my 30 mile blasts on gonzo’s Fylde coast on the bike and some decent walks up in The Lakes. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Nearly 12 months since I quit the cigs. Got the vape down to a very low nicotine level so next step is to quit that and cut down on the wine consumption 

Piled on 2 stone as a downside though through lack of exercise. Engaged in an ongoing argument with Pennine Musculoskeletal Services about the osteoarthritis in my big toes. I want the op to shave off the bony growths in the joints. They insisted on another steroid injection under X-Ray the other week which has done fuck all as I predicted. The argument continues......

Really need to get back into my 30 mile blasts on gonzo’s Fylde coast on the bike and some decent walks up in The Lakes. 

Turmeric. Curcuminoids.

Good for arthritis/joints apparently.

• Site Supporter
26 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Anyone with joint pains or arthritis get some vitamins in your daily routine. Glucosamine, Omega-3 and Vitamin D 

I've noticed the latest glucosamine supplements now have turmeric (extract) in with the formulation. Must get back onto the omega 3 capsules (fish oil).

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, MancWanderer said:

Yeah been piling in the turmeric in recipes and been doing the omega-3

I really need the bone shaving to get rid of the osteophytes but the surgeon is reluctant and would rather put me through the agony of more injections into the toe. I simply cannot tell you how agonising that is!!!

Osteophytes. Wow, that must be a first on here!

What are they exactly?

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I've noticed the latest glucosamine supplements now have turmeric (extract) in with the formulation. Must get back onto the omega 3 capsules (fish oil).

Fish oil is incredible for joint issues. It’s like an internal lubricant (oooh err) I take it for running and I have a knee issue but I couldn’t run if I didn’t take Cod liver oil

2 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Fish oil is incredible for joint issues. It’s like an internal lubricant (oooh err) I take it for running and I have a knee issue but I couldn’t run if I didn’t take Cod liver oil

I presume eating say a tin of Mackeral or maybe a piece of salmon is better than popping a cod liver capsule isn't it?

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Osteophytes. Wow, that must be a first on here!

What are they exactly?

Basically through walking, golfing and mountain biking I’ve worn down the joints on my my big toes. In the gap in the joint you basically start to get growth off the bone - think stalagmites and stalactites. Steroids ease the pain short term but I want the growths shaving off

2 minutes ago, Blondi said:

I presume eating say a tin of Mackeral or maybe a piece of salmon is better than popping a cod liver capsule isn't it?

Eating oily fish will always be better than popping a capsule. Much the same as eating fruit better than taking Vitamin C. The fibre is a massive benefit on top

• Members
5 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Yeah but it would have to be consistently in your diet. I just find it works best to do both. 

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

All good. Apparently tinned tuna is an exception- need it freshly cooked. Don't know why!

Not a fan of tuna anyway, too dry for me. Love salmon & mackerel the best, sardines are OK, but not my cup of tea tbh. Think I might pop a cod liver oil capsule too, especially after suffering from Psoriatic arthritis for nearly 30 years.

Edited by Blondi

• Members
3 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Not a fan of tuna anyway, too dry for me. Love salmon & mackerel the best, sardines are OK, but not my cup of tea tbh. Think I might pop a cod liver oil capsule too, especially after suffering from Psoriatic arthrtis for nearly 30 years.

Avoid red meat if you don’t already it’s not good for Psoriatic Arthritis 

1st gym session of the year done. Aiming to lose 12kg by end of feb. a lot of hard work lies agead Just shy of 9 weeks but doable

also as Rudy suggested have set my self a target of park run completed by end of Jan in under 30mims. Will attempt it the Saturday before and see if i can bring forward the target date 

after that a 10km run before end of feb before I fly to Thailand on 29th. 

Diets going to be the hard but to make sure I’m eating enough and correct stuff but it can be