Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

• Members
49 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'm still a bit baffled by this. Expend more than you put in your mouth. I run three times a week, mix of 5km - 15km, not training for anything at the moment so generally 5km three times a week. I drink more than I should, and eat cheese more than I should. When I was properly training went down to 12 stone, which at 6 ft 2 with a looooong face wasn't the best look. Now at 12/13 stone and feel good, running not as quick but enjoying it.

I think the trick is, not doing fads, but finding something you can fit into your life and except than things change depending on where you are in life. I couldn't function without a run at least twice a week. Other people are different, find your own way.

Think if you’ve got an active lifestyle and active job it’s easier to maintain than if you’re sat down all day. But the theory is right work more than what you eat and you’ll keep it off. Harder to do the older you get that’s just the way it goes.

20 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Think if you’ve got an active lifestyle and active job it’s easier to maintain than if you’re sat down all day. But the theory is right work more than what you eat and you’ll keep it off. Harder to do the older you get that’s just the way it goes.

Itv is true - I took up running three years ago as I am sat down most of the day and you do end up putting the pounds on really easily

Some great weight losses being registered!! Keep it up.

I finally succumbed to the scales last Tuesday. Clocked in over 13st 7lb. A bit of a shock. Was around 12st 4lb when I got wed 3 years back.

Immediately cranked up the exercise - mainly gym, running and walking(!!!!!) and started logging my food and watching those calories. Been smashing well over 3,400 calories per day whilst my intake has been averaging 1,750. 

Weighed in this morning at just under 13st 2lb. So roughly a 5-6lb loss in the week.

The downside was no alcohol last Friday. And then over the course of Sat/Sun only a bottle Peroni Libera 0% (pre-match), half a bottle of red, a pint of some local golden ale and a small glass of Amaretto.

On 19/01/2020 at 18:58, birch-chorley said:

Lost 6kg so far 

Calorie counting with a 1k cal deficit each day, leaves me with 1500 if I do nowt, 2000 if I get a 5k run in

Running 4 times a week and getting back into the swing of it, did a 21min on a flat, 25 on a hill. VO2 max is coming in at 47 according to this smart watch 

Flatlined for three days straight at 106.2kg though, need to keep going (those RENPHO smart scales are great btw) 

Reading some of the reviews, is it true you need to have the app actually open to record the results(via Bluetooth)? I want to step on them every morning, still half asleep!

8 hours ago, donkeyshorn said:

Reading some of the reviews, is it true you need to have the app actually open to record the results(via Bluetooth)? I want to step on them every morning, still half asleep!

Been working for me with my phone in another room 

Edited by birch-chorley

7 hours ago, royal white said:

Looks like we’ve all been doing It wrong, you just need to buy some faster trainers! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7918135/Would-pay-240-magic-shoe-DAVID-LEAFE-tries-out.html

Look shocking - but the reviews sounds amazing. Not arsed about the speed - reading about recovery times and soreness after running and both are drastically reduced - which would be a big winner for me. Price is a bit way out there though.

• Members
26 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Getting rid of fat? Long slow runs with some uphills. Already slim? 5k x 3 a week, it’s always the hardest run getting under 23, but it suits my lifestyle. Miss long slow runs though 

Training for the London marathon not for weight loss because I’m a masochist and enjoy running blisters 

• Members
8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Addicted to porridge in the morning

Oats so Simple. Ace. But I know it’s not good

Keep trying to make my own with a bag of oats but fuck it up every time and revert to the Oats so Simple

Simple way of measuring oats and milk to microwave please?

Put in less milk, zap it, if it’s too thick add more milk.

Went to culinary school me.

• Moderators

Managed to run 13 miles this week

Aim is to do 2 x 5 miles and 1 x 5k each week

Managed pace of 8m 18s a mile on the short run last night

Prob due to new running shoes

Got this app called running heroes, connect it to Strava, earn coins running, redeem them on offers, 3 runs got me 20% off Adidas

Also decided to have one sport massage a month, everything was very tight this week, my aging body needs all the help it can get

• Moderators
Just now, Rudy’s Message said:

You doing a marathon this year @ZicoKelly?

Nah

Hopefully i wont live to regret it but i really can't be arsed with a marathon

Done two half marathons if that counts

Can't be arsed doing another one of them either 

Do like a good 10k event though

Never done a park run, so should probably get a few of them under my belt 

I want to get into weights this year

I ended up buying some of this elastic cable things but they haven't turned up yet and i think I've been had (£22)

• Members
2 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Nah

Hopefully i wont live to regret it but i really can't be arsed with a marathon

Done two half marathons if that counts

Can't be arsed doing another one of them either 

Do like a good 10k event though

Never done a park run, so should probably get a few of them under my belt 

I want to get into weights this year

I ended up buying some of this elastic cable things but they haven't turned up yet and i think I've been had (£22)

Think Heaton park and Haigh Hall are doing park runs. Haigh Hall seems like it would be a bit tough though.

You mean the resistance bands?