Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

3 weeks off the ale. 

Alternating push and pull routines, super sets with 30 seconds rest and each exercise finished off with a race to 60 reps.

Abs and core done  5 times a week. Legs picked up during pull sessions with deadlifts etc.

Heavy duty and permanently fucked but seeing results already. 

If anyone wants the routines dm 

Edited by gonzo

25 minutes ago, Werder barmen said:

quality, 
ive done 924,086 in just under two months which is fantastic for my chubby little legs 

Fantastic, no matter how chubby and short the legs!

Edited by boltondiver

13 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Do these step apps estimate calories burned?

Curious as to how much energy is used up.

My Fitbit does. But I think they overestimate. It tells me I've burnt 3000 kcal. I'll consume 1900 (average per day over a week) but not lose anywhere near the weight predicted. 

• Site Supporter

Right here's a question then.

Physics tells me walking from a to b should use the same amount of energy as running the same distance.

I can understand how that energy might come from different sources (blood sugar or stored fat) but generally speaking you'd think they would be similar in calorie consumption. 

Is this reflected in figures that these gadgets provide, or are they different?

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Right here's a question then.

Physics tells me walking from a to b should use the same amount of energy as running the same distance.

I can understand how that energy might come from different sources (blood sugar or stored fat) but generally speaking you'd think they would be similar in calorie consumption. 

Is this reflected in figures that these gadgets provide, or are they different?

Apparently not. No idea if this is bollocks

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/calories-burned-walking-vs-running/

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Apparently not. No idea if this is bollocks

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/calories-burned-walking-vs-running/

One bit I picked out was walking burns proportionally more fat. I remember gonzo talking about this a while back. Getting the heart rate to a certain point optimizes fat burn.

Still a bit of a mystery the discrepancy between running and walking though. I can envisage that running perhaps involves a little more vertical movement, but does fewer strides in running reduce number of contacts and therefore friction?

Ah well, it is what it is.

Managed 175000 steps last week. Included hikes up Derwent Edge in the Peaks, Goatfell in Arran and a near 15 mile trail run. Amongst other 5km runs and a few extended walks. 

Still eating too many snacks and drinking too much grog though. 

4 hours ago, Smiley said:

Managed 175000 steps last week. Included hikes up Derwent Edge in the Peaks, Goatfell in Arran and a near 15 mile trail run. Amongst other 5km runs and a few extended walks. 

Effort!

PB was c162,000 in July

Day 95 ✔️ wet

On 25/08/2020 at 20:07, boltondiver said:

Effort!

PB was c162,000 in July

Day 95 ✔️ wet

Back down to earth with a bang this week. Had a bastard sore throat and cold - so been mostly housebound, apart from a quick trek up Blackstone Edge yesterday - which backfired, as felt double-dog shit afterwards.

Did Cat Bells yesterday. That’s a bit of a fucker if you’re with a gym bunny like Mrs Manc. Wouldn’t let me have rest longer than 1 minute at any point. Blowing out my arse. We did it in 2.5 hours. Looking across at Skiddaw. I’m having that one before the year is out. This lockdown timber needs shifting. 

Post my midweek illness the previous week, managed a 7.2 mile road run on the Sunday. And then a 13.5 mile trail run around Derwent Edge and Ladybower reservoir. That was a fantastic run and experience. Certainly takes your mind off, errr, running. Great views, etc. And then this Thursday, whilst away in Wales, managed an 11 mile trail run around both Llyn Peris and Llyn Padarn with an ascent up through the woodlands towards Dinorwig and then a descent down the slate hills. Even managed a jungle poo in woods near Dolbadarn Castle - which was a new first for me whilst out running.

• 1 month later...

Definitely got the running bug. 

17 miles around Kinder, Mam Tor, Losehill and Edale. An 18 miler locally around Carrington, Warburton, etc. 10 miler around Flixton/Stretford. And then a 9.5 mile run up & down Snowdon yesterday. 

Interspersed with a number of 5 milers.

Feeling pretty chuffed. And then see a mate has ran a 30 miler through the night in the lakes with ascents the equivalent of 4 Snowdon’s. Deflated!!!

7 hours ago, Smiley said:

Definitely got the running bug. 

17 miles around Kinder, Mam Tor, Losehill and Edale. An 18 miler locally around Carrington, Warburton, etc. 10 miler around Flixton/Stretford. And then a 9.5 mile run up & down Snowdon yesterday. 

Interspersed with a number of 5 milers.

Feeling pretty chuffed. And then see a mate has ran a 30 miler through the night in the lakes with ascents the equivalent of 4 Snowdon’s. Deflated!!!

My mate runs ultras. He did the Suffolk back yard ultra last weekend. 

Run a 4.14 mile loop every hour. Last man standing. He did 36 hours or summat daft. 

Came 4th. Still had more in the tank but the mental effect of not knowing when it ends meant he caved at 11pm on a wet Sunday night. 

I can't even be arsed running 5k