Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Brizzle AWAY

RUREADY2ROLL

1 hour ago, Biganddaft said:

I really think our only chance is a new manager to try to get summat out of these players, it's a long shot but christ we need to try something surely, when I saw we were one up today I had no confidence whatsoever we would hang on it hardly registered with me, I have not been this pissed off since the 80s

Me too. There were times in the 90s and 2000s when I would be celebrating going 1-0 up away from home by running round the garden chanting the name of the scorer etc. Today I was going on skybet to put a fiver on Bristol to win but before I could get it done the odds were slashed by the equaliser. Sad times when even occasional good moments cant be enjoyed.

1 hour ago, dazl1212 said:

Who would you like to replace him? Not being a dick here, I'm genuinely interested. 

I'd love us to come up with a shrewd one like villa have with Brentford's ex manager. I know they lost today but he gets results and they play decent enough football. Anyone like that in the lower leagues we could attract?

With Nathan Jones gone to Stoke....1 of Gareth Ainsworth, John Coleman or Grant McCann.

Given a change in manager is pretty unlikely till we go down again, any new bloke is better off having a clear run at it in League 1, hopefully with new blood and money above him. The Cowley brothers at Lincoln, Michael Flynn at Newport. I'd also have said Kenny Jacket but he'll take Portsmouth up while we go down. Steve Clarke done a great job at Kilmarnock too, might fancy a go at English league again. 

If we do get new owners by Summer however, they might have their own ideas, which may be a bit left field 

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

The 80's were bad. I hated those years. I really didn't think that I'd ever think that things were as bad as then. I've said on other threads that the younger element who've only ever known us heading upwards, and/or life in the Prem, really don't understand how shit it can be supporting BWFC and nowt compares to the 80's

I've changed my opinion. This is worse..........

Normid vs Winding-up orders

Old men sat in a wood-panelled room around a committee table saying fuck all vs a chairman spouting on social media

(Relatively) Flat pricing vs stupid pricing

Players that gave a shit because they didn't earn enough from football vs players that earn more in a month than a lot of supporters earn in a year despite being shit

Gordon Sharrock vs Marc Iles

Fanzines vs Social media

We are going down. I expect nothing else. I have no optimism any more. I accepted it in the '80's and, along with many Wanderers, got on with it, and got my arse off my seat and went to Wrexham, Chesterfield and other salubrious shitholes, and revelled in the fact that all we cared about was arguing whether Trevor Morgan, Gary Henshaw and their ilk were shit or not

Nowadays it's just constant negativity, fuelled by social media, that drives some supporters to be m0ngtards

I have no answer. I'm a grumpy old fucker, fuelled by the 70's, longing for the days when social media didn't dictate football and BWFC

Great post. When football is miserable it really is miserable. 

Twitter is an absolute nightmare, more than FB, comments sections and forums.

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

The 80's were bad. I hated those years. I really didn't think that I'd ever think that things were as bad as then. I've said on other threads that the younger element who've only ever known us heading upwards, and/or life in the Prem, really don't understand how shit it can be supporting BWFC and nowt compares to the 80's

Old men sat in a wood-panelled room around a committee table saying fuck all vs a chairman spouting on social media

Players that gave a shit because they didn't earn enough from football vs players that earn more in a month than a lot of supporters earn in a year despite being shit

Fanzines vs Social media

We are going down. I expect nothing else. I have no optimism any more. I accepted it in the '80's and, along with many Wanderers, got on with it, and got my arse off my seat and went to Wrexham, Chesterfield and other salubrious shitholes, and revelled in the fact that all we cared about was arguing whether Trevor Morgan, Gary Henshaw and their ilk were shit or not

Nowadays it's just constant negativity, fuelled by social media, that drives some supporters to be m0ngtards

I have no answer. I'm a grumpy old fucker, fuelled by the 70's, longing for the days when social media didn't dictate football and BWFC

Great post. Yes Henshaw was Div 4 standard all day long. Morgan had a bit of quality at times, e.g. the winner at Huddersfield. 

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

If we end up there he won't even make the bench in league one next season

Utterly pointless signing

Made even more bizarre by the fact that we had Clough last year, who he also had no interest in playing.

If he is in charge of bringing players in, it'd probably be an idea to stop signing 4ft playmakers.

Edited by Tombwfc

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

If we end up there he won't even make the bench in league one next season

Utterly pointless signing

It was pointless, it suggested that we were going to look at a different way of playing or at least mix it up a bit but bar the game at home to Hull (?) where has he started him and done anything like build a team around him?

To have bombed him out of entire squads time and time again is bizarre. To me personally it suggests he's either shit - so a disastrous signing - or he wasn't really Parkinson's man, like perhaps ALF, but KA specifically stated in his notes this week that the manager is responsible for every signing, so...

24 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great post. Yes Henshaw was Div 4 standard all day long. Morgan had a bit of quality at times, e.g. the winner at Huddersfield. 

Fuck me. Someone else who was there at Leeds Road for Trevor Morgan's toe-bunger against Huddersfield

Absolutely pissing it down. Wanderers packing out that big uncovered terrace behind one end. Being locked in at the end and then having bricks chucked at us when the coppers finally opened the gates

Thoroughly miserable and soaking wet night but that terrace gave it all that night in support

No bitching about the state of the club. Just pure support for the men in white. Not one mention of ownership, local journalists, Normid, just full on backing for the team on the pitch

So sad that those days have gone

18 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m think very early 80s, losing the likes of Paul jones, Tony Henry, Neil redfearn and borrows because we couldn’t afford them and replacing with the likes of mcilhiney, graham bell and such like, not winning away for years, think it was worst back then but we’re going that way at the moment.

Tony Henry was quality for us. If he played for us now he would be head and shoulders our best player and top scorer. But Brian Borrows was simply the best right back I have ever seen for bolton. Watching him performing up and down the right while the burden paddock sang his name was a highlight of the last 40 years. Regarding not winning away, we did win away every season even when we were relegated but yes we only scored 23 away goals in 2 seasons 81 to 83, it was grim away from home.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Tony Henry was quality for us. If he played for us now he would be head and shoulders our best player and top scorer. But Brian Borrows was simply the best right back I have ever seen for bolton. Watching him performing up and down the right while the burden paddock sang his name was a highlight of the last 40 years. Regarding not winning away, we did win away every season even when we were relegated but yes we only scored 23 away goals in 2 seasons 81 to 83, it was grim away from home.

I should of said didn’t win in London for years. 

13 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Fuck me. Someone else who was there at Leeds Road for Trevor Morgan's toe-bunger against Huddersfield

Absolutely pissing it down. Wanderers packing out that big uncovered terrace behind one end. Being locked in at the end and then having bricks chucked at us when the coppers finally opened the gates

Thoroughly miserable and soaking wet night but that terrace gave it all that night in support

No bitching about the state of the club. Just pure support for the men in white. Not one mention of ownership, local journalists, Normid, just full on backing for the team on the pitch

So sad that those days have gone

Totally agree I think we have been spoiled by the new stadium and premiership football. Once a wanderer always a wanderer people need to look at the Lowry painting going to the match and get the true meaning of the day out 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Fanzines vs Social media

This with bells as big as zeppelins on.

On. The. Fucking. Money.

I go back to very early 70s (when we were about to be relegated to what's now League 1) and, for me, the slump into League 2 in the late 80s was worse than what we're suffering now. We'd limped through what was a depressing period for football generally without a pot to piss in for years, in a decaying ground we were selling off chunks of, and with a deteriorating squad. The play off loss to Aldershot (where now?) was, for me, the pits. 

It feels bad now, relatively, I think,  because it gets magnified and played out so overtly in social media, sports news channels, forums etc. We are in a bad way for sure.  The football is awful, the squad is worse than the one Lennon all-but took down. I've given up on us staying in this league this season and it won't get any better till KA sells up and buggers off or other circumstances such as admin force things to happen. But, as we stand, still not the depths we plumbed in the late 80s for me.

5 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Unless we get the embargo .lifted and miraculously sign 3-4 decent players including a goal scorer the seasons over right now. 

Aye Just back & after today, this squad doesn't look good enough to survive whichever way you shuffle them.

Pav, Wheater, Beavers & especially Lowe  had good games but none of the rest looked championship standard ( even though they put the effort in ), & no team can carry so many players.

3 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

To put those 5,000 crowds in perspective  (our worst average), the bottom 14 in the top division in 1985 averaged 15,000. Nowadays it's 30k. Yes everyone has doubled their crowds, thanks partly to all seater stadiums resulting in more season ticket holders alongside very cheap kids tickets. So if the 80s was happening now we would have still got 10k, and that would have been the actual crowd not the published 1 as now. Not sure what my point is tbh. 

Our crowd at least halved over five years it was a progressive decline from quite a shitty 9k .Bottom line it aint as bad but could be in three or four years time 

4500 is 4500 no matter what gloss you put on it .

9 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Aye Just back & after today, this squad doesn't look good enough to survive whichever way you shuffle them.

Pav, Wheater, Beavers & especially Lowe  had good games but none of the rest looked championship standard ( even though they put the effort in ), & no team can carry so many players.

Well done for going all that way, I don't have the stomach for it. I agree generally but surely Ameobi is championship standard? If he was playing for a mid table team against us he would rip us apart a few times in a game as he wouldn't be feeding off scraps. Hobbs is championship standard all day long but I can't think of any others.

• Site Supporter

What irritating is that wheater and Beavers are big, tall, strong lumps whos key skill is winning headers. 

But they don't, and not because they can't, but because they don't really seem to commit to winning the header. 

Edited by HomerJay

12 hours ago, ianofrochdale said:

I go back to very early 70s (when we were about to be relegated to what's now League 1) and, for me, the slump into League 2 in the late 80s was worse than what we're suffering now. We'd limped through what was a depressing period for football generally without a pot to piss in for years, in a decaying ground we were selling off chunks of, and with a deteriorating squad. The play off loss to Aldershot (where now?) was, for me, the pits. 

It feels bad now, relatively, I think,  because it gets magnified and played out so overtly in social media, sports news channels, forums etc. We are in a bad way for sure.  The football is awful, the squad is worse than the one Lennon all-but took down. I've given up on us staying in this league this season and it won't get any better till KA sells up and buggers off or other circumstances such as admin force things to happen. But, as we stand, still not the depths we plumbed in the late 80s for me.

80s were awful.

Anybody remember Doncaster Rovers away at the old belle vue stadium. It was a festive away game . The away end had been redesigned.  There was a cage bolted onto a low gradient terrace , situated right behind the goal . So you watched the game looking though the cage bars and through the nets of the goal . The view was awful .

The rest of the terrace was empty . You could not stand on it . You were penned in this cage. 

Doncaster put three past us including a worldie volley past felgate ( I think it was him ) . I clapped the volley . 

Dire times . 

Massive police presence too if I recall and it was rammed in that cage .

Google it . You will not believe how awful that cage thing was