Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This joint statement from the Bolton Wanderers blogs...

Traf

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

There is the usual confusion between protesting against the board and supporting the team.

Protests should be outside. Inside should be 100% support for the team during any match.

Good point.

Imagine we're winning 1-0 with a little while left and loads of folk got up and fucked off.

Not the best idea.

regards protesting:

NAC Breda fans carried out a protest where they didn't go into the ground for "X" Minutes of the first half of a game. made a lot of publicity in Holland. 

For me throwing things on the pitch / invading the pitch is a bit pointless and risky as it could see you banned / fined. 

Personally i would think a mass walk out around 60 minutes would be better. something which would be widely picked up by the TV cameras. People could go outside and do what they wish at the front. 

1 minute ago, Big E said:

regards protesting:

NAC Breda fans carried out a protest where they didn't go into the ground for "X" Minutes of the first half of a game. made a lot of publicity in Holland. 

For me throwing things on the pitch / invading the pitch is a bit pointless and risky as it could see you banned / fined. 

Personally i would think a mass walk out around 60 minutes would be better. something which would be widely picked up by the TV cameras. People could go outside and do what they wish at the front. 

That's the one for me

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, tomski said:

That's the one for me

I get the idea, but, as I said above, it would concern me that it might have an adverse effect on the team. 15000 on the pitch 10 minutes before kickoff, then politely returning to the seats in good time maybe?

Might be better to keep petitioning the relevant authorities.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I get the idea, but, as I said above, it would concern me that it might have an adverse effect on the team. 15000 on the pitch 10 minutes before kickoff, then politely returning to the seats in good time maybe?

Might be better to keep petitioning the relevant authorities.

15k?

Lolcano

3 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

There is the usual confusion between protesting against the board and supporting the team.

Protests should be outside. Inside should be 100% support for the team during any match.

Think there was one at hull a year or two back where they lobbed tennis balls on the pitch at a certain point in the game 

Thing was in terms of play they were on top but the break in play to clear the balls put a stop to their momentum and the away team scored soon after the restart 

Or summat like that 

Well we certainly weren't  contacted, neither was Nuts as sluffy states.

I cannot see how protesting can help any cause other than further damaging the club during a live sky game. It will be just seen as a mindless interuption to the viewers, nothing else and further more, embrassing for all concerned.

The power of the pen and boycotting games is more affective. An empty stadium will be more of a shock/wakeup call to everyone.

Just a thought on this if anyone thought of protesting - boycott the homes games, WBA, Reading and PNE with everyone that can afford it go to the next away games at Sheffield United and Birmingham City. Grounds that we can take a few thousand to - like I said just a thought.

For those not in front of the paywall

The EFL has been urged to toughen its rules on club directors after questions were raised about the activities of Bolton Wanderers’ owner Ken Anderson, who has been described as a “rogue chairman” by another club owner.

Anderson, a former football agent who was banned from being a company director for eight years from 2005 to 2013, has been alleged by Dale Vince, the owner of Forest Green Rovers, to have reneged on contracts surrounding the signing of a player.

Bolton also have financial woes and, as revealed by The Times last week, the PFA had to provide a loan to the club in December to cover wages for that month and November. The club’s subsidiary company, Bolton Whites Hotel Ltd, of which Anderson is the only director, is the subject of an outstanding winding-up petition from the HMRC over unpaid taxes.

Anderson was disqualified from being a company director in 2005 for transgressions relating to eight companies including diverting or seeking to divert company funds into a personal account, VAT discrepancies and failing to co-operate with receivers.

Vince said that he felt forced to speak out after claiming Anderson reneged on promises and legal contracts for Bolton to sign their player Chris Doidge last week — he has been on loan at Wanderers for the first half of the season.

Vince told The Times: “I know now that he was disqualified as a director for eight years, and I really think the EFL needs to toughen up its owners’ and directors’ test. Football clubs are precious to people and there needs to be a much stricter test.

“From my dealings with him I would describe him as a rogue chairman, a slippery character and untrustworthy. We had a conversation on Friday and I said I would sue for reneging on the contracts. He just said even if I bankrupted the club he would get paid up as he is a secured lender while we would only get 10p in the pound.”

Vince said Bolton had not paid Doidge’s wages for the last four months — Forest Green have done so instead — and that he would approach the EFL about the case.

Bolton did not respond when asked about Vince’s comments about Anderson but said they were disappointed with his statement on the Doidge case. Bolton said: “We are disappointed to read the statement as the club has been in dialogue with Mr Vince and Forest Green Rovers over this situation. We are hopeful that a satisfactory resolution will follow.”

The accounts for Bolton’s parent company Burnden Leisure show Anderson was paid £525,000 in consultancy fees in the 2016-17 season, via his company Inner Circle Sports and Media. The club, who reported an operating loss of £12.6million for that year, also paid £125,000 to Athos Group which “is owned by a family member of K Anderson” for consultancy services.

Bolton were in League One at the time, and £525,000 was significantly more than the highest-paid director at any other club in that division that season, with 20 clubs in the Championship and eight in the Premier League paying their chief executives less than that.

Anderson and Bolton’s former striker Dean Holdsworth took over the club in March 2016 after former owner Eddie Davies wrote off debts of £175 million. They paid £1 for the shares and took on a £4.4 million loan to cover tax debts, and Anderson bought Holdsworth’s shares in 2017 for £150,000.

Bolton’s players went on strike in July over unpaid wages and the club narrowly avoided going into administration in September to repay the £4.4 million loan but were rescued when — four days before his death — Davies, via his offshore company, made a £5 million loan to Anderson, who then made a loan to the club. Bolton said last week that Anderson personally paid the players’ wages for November.

Anderson is a resident of Switzerland according to company accounts. He ceased to be the person with significant control of Inner Circle Sports and Media on February 1 last year, and was succeeded by Vasily Anisimov, a Russian billionaire who was one of the names on the United States’ ‘Kremlin list’ of oligarchs with close links to Vladimir Putin.

Bolton said Anderson no longer has any interest in the company and has “never spoken or met the current owner”, and that he “has other businesses called Inner Circle Sports and Media in other tax jurisdictions”.

Anderson was disqualified from being a company director for eight years from October 12, 2005 for transgressions involving his firm Professional Sports International Ltd (PSI) plus seven other “previously failed companies.”

The disqualification notice states: “Mr Anderson diverted/sought to divert PSI’s funds by depositing them into a personal bank account in his own name and invoicing the name of another connected company.” It adds that he failed to deal with PSI’s VAT affairs and to co-operate with the administrative receiver.

“It has not been possible to determine the actual VAT liabilities… nor to determine the actual liability to the Inland Revenue for the 2002/03 tax year. Likewise it has not been possible to account for round sum payments from PSI’s limited company account totalling £48,000 from October 2001 to February 2002”.

Bolton’s fans groups have issued a joint call for a protest against what they claim is “mismanagement” by Anderson at the match against West Bromwich Albion on January 21.

Damian Collins, the MP who chairs the digital, culture, media and sport select committee, said the football’s owners’ and directors’ test should take into account a person’s track record even if disqualifications had expired.

Collins said: “There should be a much tougher owners’ and directors’ test applied to people who sit on the boards of football clubs. The FA should have the power to make a subjective decision based on the track record of the director, as is the case in broadcasting.”

The EFL would not be drawn on its owners’ and directors’ test but said they were in touch with both Bolton and Forest Green “seeking an appropriate solution that meets the requirements of our regulations”.

Anderson has been approached for comment.