Jump to content
Donate to keep the site running Read more... ×
Subscribe - contribute monthly Read more... ×
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
roybarker

Baronesses coments

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm with you. Charlton.

Dunno how to confirm it though:iiam:

Back on December 11, 1982, Wanderers hosted Charlton Athletic at Burnden Park and were in a serious financial state.

John McGovern’s side won the game 4-1 to move up into 19th place in the old Division Two but it was what happened at the half-time interval that supporters still talk about to this very day.

Lofthouse strode on to the pitch to make an impassioned speech to the terraces, asking for people to dig deep and prevent the club from going under. He also marched out on to the car park on the Sunday morning to rally the troops before and after the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Back on December 11, 1982, Wanderers hosted Charlton Athletic at Burnden Park and were in a serious financial state.

John McGovern’s side won the game 4-1 to move up into 19th place in the old Division Two but it was what happened at the half-time interval that supporters still talk about to this very day.

Lofthouse strode on to the pitch to make an impassioned speech to the terraces, asking for people to dig deep and prevent the club from going under. He also marched out on to the car park on the Sunday morning to rally the troops before and after the game.

Was that when Alan Simonsen played for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Back on December 11, 1982, Wanderers hosted Charlton Athletic at Burnden Park and were in a serious financial state.

John McGovern’s side won the game 4-1 to move up into 19th place in the old Division Two but it was what happened at the half-time interval that supporters still talk about to this very day.

Lofthouse strode on to the pitch to make an impassioned speech to the terraces, asking for people to dig deep and prevent the club from going under. He also marched out on to the car park on the Sunday morning to rally the troops before and after the game.

I thought it was Charlton, not totally lost it yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Was that when Alan Simonsen played for them?

Think it was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was definitely the Charlton game...it was 1-1 at half time, Nat did his Churchillian speech and we smashed em 3-0 in the second half... the day and game stands alongside Frankies 'that' goal' v Ipswich... Sams bullet header against Sunderland... Chelsea fans swapping ends with us as... Frankies winner against Utd and that guy who parachutted into the lever end halfway through the Arsanal game as 5 of the most unbelievable things I've ever witnessed at Burnden...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, josh8 said:

It was definitely the Charlton game...it was 1-1 at half time, Nat did his Churchillian speech and we smashed em 3-0 in the second half... the day and game stands alongside Frankies 'that' goal' v Ipswich... Sams bullet header against Sunderland... Chelsea fans swapping ends with us as... Frankies winner against Utd and that guy who parachutted into the lever end halfway through the Arsanal game as 5 of the most unbelievable things I've ever witnessed at Burnden...

I saw you were about and im officially amazed this is the thread you posted on  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't resist it as soon as the Charlton game was mentioned... haha

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, josh8 said:

It was definitely the Charlton game...it was 1-1 at half time, Nat did his Churchillian speech and we smashed em 3-0 in the second half... the day and game stands alongside Frankies 'that' goal' v Ipswich... Sams bullet header against Sunderland... Chelsea fans swapping ends with us as... Frankies winner against Utd and that guy who parachutted into the lever end halfway through the Arsanal game as 5 of the most unbelievable things I've ever witnessed at Burnden...

I realised reading the off off off thread how little I remember of matches from being a nipper. I'd have definitely been at the Fulham game, but can't remember anything about it. Still got grass from the pitch invasion v Fulham a couple of years later kicking around somewhere in an envelope with embarassing kiddie stuff written all over it ... "Peter Reid stood here", "Worthy is ace", that sort of stuff.

I was at all the ones you mention except the Arsenal game - think I saw it on telly, and fairly sure the same bloke tipped up at the boxing a few days later (or earlier).

I'd add a couple off the top of my head ... McDonaugh's goal v Burnley and Big Sam 'scoring' from about the half way line with a tackle that ballooned up in the air. Was disallowed for a foul, and in fairness the ref blew the whistle well before the ball actually bounced in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On reflection there where alot more....Not only Mcdough's goal that day, but he'd hit the post before he scored that goal... Tony Caldwell's 5 goals in the Walsall massacre... that bloody fluke from Malcolm Mcdonald... and who can forget Paul Comstives 2 goals from corners against Bournmouth (I think)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2019 at 22:19, josh8 said:

It was definitely the Charlton game...it was 1-1 at half time, Nat did his Churchillian speech and we smashed em 3-0 in the second half... the day and game stands alongside Frankies 'that' goal' v Ipswich... Sams bullet header against Sunderland... Chelsea fans swapping ends with us as... Frankies winner against Utd and that guy who parachutted into the lever end halfway through the Arsanal game as 5 of the most unbelievable things I've ever witnessed at Burnden...

22 hours ago, wakey said:

I realised reading the off off off thread how little I remember of matches from being a nipper. I'd have definitely been at the Fulham game, but can't remember anything about it. Still got grass from the pitch invasion v Fulham a couple of years later kicking around somewhere in an envelope with embarassing kiddie stuff written all over it ... "Peter Reid stood here", "Worthy is ace", that sort of stuff.

I was at all the ones you mention except the Arsenal game - think I saw it on telly, and fairly sure the same bloke tipped up at the boxing a few days later (or earlier).

I'd add a couple off the top of my head ... McDonaugh's goal v Burnley and Big Sam 'scoring' from about the half way line with a tackle that ballooned up in the air. Was disallowed for a foul, and in fairness the ref blew the whistle well before the ball actually bounced in.

21 hours ago, josh8 said:

On reflection there where alot more....Not only Mcdough's goal that day, but he'd hit the post before he scored that goal... Tony Caldwell's 5 goals in the Walsall massacre... that bloody fluke from Malcolm Mcdonald... and who can forget Paul Comstives 2 goals from corners against Bournmouth (I think)

 

Wakey's inability to have instant recall of every kick of every game makes me feel slightly better about my own inability to do the same. I sometimes read stuff folk recall - Casino is particularly fond of his memories with minutiae detail - and wonder how the hell he remembers all of this.

The parachutist came from over the Lever End, swooped down then opened up and flew off towards Breightmet. I do recall that bit.


November 5th one year we invited (I always thought Forest) to share the still standing Lever End I guess to try out the recently fitted double fence segregation. It was like being at a firework display!

I remember playing Leeds in a cup game, mid to late 70s and a mate pushing me out of the way of a whisky bottle launched across from the Leeds fans.

I once fell asleep for a whole game on the Embankment after starting off the game in the Man & Scythe and downing 4 pints of cider. I don't think I've touched the stuff since.

Again, mid to late 70s and WBA had recently been relegated from the first division. A Football Special train had been laid on and me and some mates had availed ourselves of it's service. During the match it was like a white-out as it seemed every fan in the away end had a toilet roll to throw on the pitch. It made for quite some discomfort on the way home!

 

 

 

Edited by MickyD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The para man, iirc, was reported to have come down in Leverhulme I think.

Wasn't it the same bod who dropped in on a boxing match?

Is there any footage of the parachute fella? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Can't find any. He later hung himself.

Aye, I was going to say ultimately a tragic story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Miller_(parachutist)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, josh8 said:

On reflection there where alot more....Not only Mcdough's goal that day, but he'd hit the post before he scored that goal... Tony Caldwell's 5 goals in the Walsall massacre... that bloody fluke from Malcolm Mcdonald... and who can forget Paul Comstives 2 goals from corners against Bournmouth (I think)

 

Couple of great examples of my patchy memory there. Can't remember McDonough hitting the post that game. And I was at the Walsall game but I only have a vague recollection of one of TC's goals - one where he flicked it over the keeper then tapped it in. Still can't picture the goal, just remember it as happening that way.

(glad it's not just me MickeyD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mention of Charlton and 4-1 got me thinking that we seem to have had quite a few 4-1 results against them one way or the other. Also seem to have been some significant ones - they relegated us in '83 with a 4-1 and pretty sure they did the same in '71, plus last game at Burnden ...

So I checked.

In 91 games v Charlton, there have been seven 4-1's - seems a lot, especially as there've only been five 0-0's.

Checked a couple of others, and we've 7 in 171 v Blackburn, 7 in 133 v Arsenal, 3 in 63 v Bristol City. So looks like a bit above normal, but nowt exceptional.

Summary - if ever I say "it's always 4-1 against Charlton" feel free to tell me I'm talking bollocks.

Edited by wakey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in the time I've watched us, we've beaten them 4-1 four times including successive home PL games and also lost 4-1 once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Traf said:

I think in the time I've watched us, we've beaten them 4-1 four times including successive home PL games and also lost 4-1 once.

good call - from 82/83 onwards there've been five 4-1's in 34 games including two in 82/83, one each way including the away defeat that sent us down.

We've been relegated to the third division three times, and I'm pretty sure the Charlton result (both 4-1) sent us down twice.

Edit: took some finding, but the 4-1 defeat v Charlton in 1971 did confirm our relegation.

Useful site here for anyone interested in stats - allows you to reproduce the table at any given date - https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-two/17-april-1971/

 

Edited by wakey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.