Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

WBA home

victor meldrew

Parky has been somewhat very very fortunate, for the position we’ve been in. If we wasn’t such a mess of a club, he’d surely have gone a long time ago. It’s easy, when we get battered by a team, can just blame it on the opposition team having a 7 or 10 million or whatever player that can change the game. When in fact it’s mainly due to woeful tactics from the manager. 

Parky did a fantastic job getting us promoted and keeping us up, but we all see every single week how out of his depth he is tactically in the Championship. But I also recognise that our players are the biggest bunch of old, slow, untechnical, unskillful players in the league.

Most good/average teams in this league, are full of young players, pressing football, possession play. This is everything our team does not have.

54 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Parky has been somewhat very very fortunate, for the position we’ve been in. If we wasn’t such a mess of a club, he’d surely have gone a long time ago. It’s easy, when we get battered by a team, can just blame it on the opposition team having a 7 or 10 million or whatever player that can change the game. When in fact it’s mainly due to woeful tactics from the manager. 

Parky did a fantastic job getting us promoted and keeping us up, but we all see every single week how out of his depth he is tactically in the Championship. But I also recognise that our players are the biggest bunch of old, slow, untechnical, unskillful players in the league.

Most good/average teams in this league, are full of young players, pressing football, possession play. This is everything our team does not have.

So much for bringing the average age down its probably the oldest in our history 

35 minutes ago, darrener said:

So much for bringing the average age down its probably the oldest in our history 

I heard it was over 30 the other day, or the bench was anyway.

Thats the problem with our club, we aren’t bringing youth players in. The players who we are playing are 30+, and are tied down for 1-2 seasons at the very most, and don’t have futures at Bolton Wanderers.

For our situation, we do need experience, to just try and survive, but that’s not working. 

Edited by Lostock Whites

1 hour ago, Lostock Whites said:

Just as last season, it’s never likely to be much fun watching a side aiming to finish 21st in a 24 horse race. No good comparing us to the average teams in the division because we aren’t fishing in the same pond as even the 14th-18th sides, never mind 10th-14th. Might sound negative, defeatist and overall just an excuse, but unfortunately it’s a fact of life at the moment. 

• The topic was pinned

I am totally convinced that if we had got rid of PP at the end of October (when KA alluded to it) then we would now be in a better league position.

And that’s what football is about for the majority of fans - performances on the pitch.

Tomorrow’s “action” would not have been planned for KA’s behaviour & the clubs finances alone. 

Unfortunately Its too late to get rid now but this could have been avoided IMO.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye, you don't see any west ham protests against the owners this season now they are doing alright on the pitch

Been my point with twitter nobs all last week. Nobody gave a shit about our finances when we were winning promotion.

Imagine KA and PP appearing on panaroma or in the high court. Nobody gave a fuck what they were up to as we were lording it up in premier league. 

It went to shit then folk wanted gartside out at the first sign of trouble. 

Same now. Fickle bunch of bottle merchants our fans. 

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Been my point with twitter nobs all last week. Nobody gave a shit about our finances when we were winning promotion.

Imagine KA and PP appearing on panaroma or in the high court. Nobody gave a fuck what they were up to as we were lording it up in premier league. 

It might seem like we’re fickle bunch but because of Socila media the fickle few shout loudest, the large majority of fans not fickle but you don’t tend to hear them. 

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Some fans believe Ken is one of the reasons why we are playing so poorly.

On 19/01/2019 at 10:46, 1969 said:

In plus 2 just picked up a freebie 

Was told about 15000 Bolton tickets gone

This will be 1 of those games when there are even more empty seats than normal, then they announce the crowd as 16,500 and everyone says 'pull the other 1'. The combination of it being on TV, its an inconvenient school night, its freezing, we're playing rubbish and the general bad feeling means lots of season ticket holders will prefer to watch at home. I got 2 free tickets a couple of weeks ago hoping to find someone to take but i've been met with every imaginable reason not to go. The tickets may be taken but how many of those will be used, we'll never know.

On 19/01/2019 at 17:36, Leyther_Matt said:

Just as last season, it’s never likely to be much fun watching a side aiming to finish 21st in a 24 horse race. No good comparing us to the average teams in the division because we aren’t fishing in the same pond as even the 14th-18th sides, never mind 10th-14th. Might sound negative, defeatist and overall just an excuse, but unfortunately it’s a fact of life at the moment. 

Bang on. I'd no greater expectation than us maybe finishing a couple of places higher and being safe maybe a couple of games before the end. It's where we're at. Not defeatist or negative, just realistic

2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

This will be 1 of those games when there are even more empty seats than normal, then they announce the crowd as 16,500 and everyone says 'pull the other 1'. The combination of it being on TV, its an inconvenient school night, its freezing, we're playing rubbish and the general bad feeling means lots of season ticket holders will prefer to watch at home. I got 2 free tickets a couple of weeks ago hoping to find someone to take but i've been met with every imaginable reason not to go. The tickets may be taken but how many of those will be used, we'll never know.

Looking at seating plan on  club website only singles left in 3/4 of east lower and other stands filling up so could be at least 16,000 home fans.

10 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Looking at seating plan on  club website only singles left in 3/4 of east lower and other stands filling up so could be at least 16,000 home fans.

Yes there may well be16,000 tickets shifted, but that doesn’t mean there’ll be 16,000 on. I got 2 free tickets just in case i might need them - i don’t. Multiply that a couple of thousand times and we won’t have anywhere near 16k on. My guess is that the “real” attendance will be around 13k.

• Moderators

On the one hand, they've managed to concede just 5 less than we have all season, so they're vuberable if we were to have a go

On the other they've scored 3 times as many so we'll have to defend our arse and run through walls and stuff to not concede

2-2

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

On the one hand, they've managed to concede just 5 less than we have all season, so they're vuberable if we were to have a go

On the other they've scored 3 times as many so we'll have to defend our arse and run through walls and stuff to not concede

2-2

I dunno much about them but I know that kid has returned to Leicester

Probably be replaced by another one on 50k a week

I do think we can live with them, see stoke, Leeds, derby for a bit of hope, I just fear we won't take our chances when they come

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yes there may well be16,000 tickets shifted, but that doesn’t mean there’ll be 16,000 on. I got 2 free tickets just in case i might need them - i don’t. Multiply that a couple of thousand times and we won’t have anywhere near 16k on. My guess is that the “real” attendance will be around 13k.

The annoying thing is these figures are used when comparing crowds with previous seasons. We can't. Tickets are free or cheap or free upgrades and are compared to the 90s etc when these things didnt exist. And if we get 6k in the cup it looks terrible but at least it's real, nobody gets free tickets or buys tickets then doesn't bother turning up. But the bad publicity of a poor crowd devalues the cup and contributes to even less going next time.

5 hours ago, ianofrochdale said:

Bang on. I'd no greater expectation than us maybe finishing a couple of places higher and being safe maybe a couple of games before the end. It's where we're at. Not defeatist or negative, just realistic

Precisely spot on - it is what it is and thoroughly depressing but we ain`t totally knackered or cut adrift yet. WBA likely to be too strong. Reading next week for more important. Not sure who decides but I would have happier if the fixture could have been held back a week or two.