Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Driving at 97?

globaldiver

1 hour ago, tyldesley_white said:

Not without a retest every 2 years

Is where I’m at

i sit as a passenger occasionally with my mum and she’s 82. Absolutely safe as houses and having her cataracts done this year to keep her licence

We took my dads licence off him at 75. Lost his reactions and was seriously unsafe on the roads. Totally agree that over 70’s should be tested one way or the other. Not a full driving test but more distance/speed/hazard perception and eyesight, etc

Also, elderly diabetics with a record of glycaemic episodes, anyone who’s recovering after a heart attack, and anyone with non-epileptic seizures (eplileptics with seizures are banned anyway) should be assessed. Drivers “falling ill at the wheel” is a massive problem 

My Dad is 77 and his driving is an absolute nightmare, he hasn't driven around a roundabout for about 10 years or so and he'll indicate coming out of his drive. I'm an absolute wreck when I'm a passenger in the car with him. Think the Sinclair C5 needs to make a comeback and make it compulsory for over 70's to drive one instead of a car.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Is where I’m at

i sit as a passenger occasionally with my mum and she’s 82. Absolutely safe as houses and having her cataracts done this year to keep her licence

We took my dads licence off him at 75. Lost his reactions and was seriously unsafe on the roads. Totally agree that over 70’s should be tested one way or the other. Not a full driving test but more distance/speed/hazard perception and eyesight, etc

Also, elderly diabetics with a record of glycaemic episodes, anyone who’s recovering after a heart attack, and anyone with non-epileptic seizures (eplileptics with seizures are banned anyway) should be assessed. Drivers “falling ill at the wheel” is a massive problem 

An interesting assessment there.

I know someone who's had seizures and not reported it and carried on driving. 

I've always reported them and served my year's ban.

Currently sat in Tesco cafe with the 85yr old grandad in law as grandma in law does the shopping. My bringing them to do the big shop was one of the ways to make her agree to him having his licence taken away due to his vascular dementia. 

The old bugger was a fucking nightmare driver before his dementia. 

14 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

no one over 70 should drive

14 hours ago, tyldesley_white said:

Not without a retest every 2 years

Currently you simply have to reapply every 3 years after 70 self-certifying your eye-sight is satisfactory and that you have no medical impairment.

It would seem feasible to require an eye-test to be taken at each renewal, and simply driving a mile should enable an examiner to decide n suitability or alternatively to require a full test if advice to retire from driving is ignored.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Farrelli said:

It's really not on driving at 97. Could have killed someone pulling out onto a fast road. Should have his licence revoked and be prosecuted IMO.

Not being funny but do you know more than the police do or was you there?

I have to say though, it's time he hung up his driving gloves up regardless of whether it's his fault or not.

2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Not being funny but do you know more than the police do or was you there?

I have to say though, it's time he hung up his driving gloves up regardless of whether it's his fault or not.

I know he was blinded by the sun apparently (his reported comments) as he tried to join the main road. Make up your own mind