Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

25 MPH.

captainmed

It’s now very common for me to be stuck behind someone doing 25MPH or less, in a 30 zone. It’s got significantly worse in the last few months and now happens most days.

Anyone else?

Similary on motorways, folk haven’t got a clue what speed they should be doing anymore.

We have the relatively new Smart motorways,  with their ever changing speed limits and average speed checks everywhere.

Its just easier to stop thinking, switch off, drive slowly and sit in the middle lane and most people do.

A slow, cautious driver is often a poor one.

Its so bloody frustrating trying to get around these days.

Rant over...

26 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Whole boroughs in London are now 20mph zones.  Imagine being behind people trying to make sure they don’t hit the speed limit... Frustrating as hell, although at rush hour you’d be lucky to hit 20mph.

Most boroughs in London during the day, 20MPH is a pipedream anyway

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

It’s now very common for me to be stuck behind someone doing 25MPH or less, in a 30 zone. It’s got significantly worse in the last few months and now happens most days.

Anyone else?

Similary on motorways, folk haven’t got a clue what speed they should be doing anymore.

We have the relatively new Smart motorways,  with their ever changing speed limits and average speed checks everywhere.

Its just easier to stop thinking, switch off, drive slowly and sit in the middle lane and most people do.

Rant over...

You do realise 30 mph is the speed limit and not the speed they should be driving at?

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

So why start a thread about it? 

to get to the bottom of it and/or have a moan

as our driver instructor always said, it's a speed maximum, not minimum

don't get me wrong, being a bit of a maverick I'll aim to drive bang on at least and won't be afraid to do 5 or 10 miles over the limit if I'm in a rush

it's just not worth getting mard about someone else unless they are driving dangerously, which doing 25 in a 30 alone, isn't

Aye like frank said these boxes are the key.  I’ve sat behind a few that have sticker saying they have one in and can’t go above the limit.

Surely every car will end up with one.

my father in laws drives the vans for Iceland, they are tracked. His driving performance affects his pay! 

He cant even change a route that they give him, even though he will know a shortcut etc. 

Edited by gonzo

• Moderators
4 hours ago, captainmed said:

Anyone else?

Rant over...

If you're driving a blue Audi you held me up the other night , you doddering owd fool

And you should've bought the model with indicators

• Site Supporter

I’ve no problem with people driving slowly, it’s the wankers who knowingly drive in the wrong lane to cut in further down who get my goat.

junction 8 on the M65 heading towards Burnley, number of times people drive down the left slip road as if to head to Padiham then carry on right round pisses me right off. Only once have I managed to hold my ground and at the right speed to force one of these dicks back onto the M65. Yes it did feel good too

With the "Smart motorways" coming in more and more soon we will only be doing 70 on the motorway. if cameras are on all the time. 

i don't get why we aren't allowed 80 on a motorway considering how much vehicles have advanced since limits were introduced 

19 minutes ago, Big E said:

With the "Smart motorways" coming in more and more soon we will only be doing 70 on the motorway. if cameras are on all the time. 

i don't get why we aren't allowed 80 on a motorway considering how much vehicles have advanced since limits were introduced 

It was due to be changed to 80 a few years back then there was an absolutely massive smash on the M1 and the idea was retired. 

My son, aged 20 now, is in his 3rd year on a Black Box insurance.

Despite being told, he drives too fast (learned behaviour), and subsequently has always been on a “Bronze”.

He had a couple of warnings from the insurance company in the early days but nothing more.

Every year the insurance (kept with Admiral) has fallen considerably (as you would expect as he gets older).

However It’s now only £520 PA fully comp for his 3rd year, with his parents as named drivers. That price was achieved with a lot of analysis on comparison sites and haggling, and has always been paid up front.

The point is, as long as you don’t have any points, then it would appear (in our case anyway) that the box is simply a deterrent and poor data does not necessarily higher insurance premiums.

If it  does then the haggling can offset it.

He drives a Fiesta zetec. It’s only 1 litre but it has a turbo in it.

Edited by captainmed

I have no issue with relatively slow driving in built up areas. I’ve had a kid run out of in front of me from between parked cars (luckily I was going slow enough to stop) and I was a passenger in my mums car on the way to junior school when a girl ran out from in front of a bus on Belmont Road - my mum was doing about 20mph but she still came over the bonnet and smashed the windscreen. Both still live with me to this day

Motorways? Front wheel blowouts are why I don’t tend to do over 75 mph these days. A girl at work years ago died after it happened - lost all control at high speed

Lane-hoggers, lack of indicators, cutting in at the last minute, tail-gating, not understanding who has right of way at roundabouts are all things to get more het up about than slow driving imo

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

It was due to be changed to 80 a few years back then there was an absolutely massive smash on the M1 and the idea was retired. 

One crash wouldn’t , and didn’t, prevent the raise to 80 on its own. 

Research into to the increased probable accident rates, the results of those accidents, the extra fuel consumption leading to extra carbon emissions for the negligible benefit, the increase in speed difference between vehicles unable to do 80, trucks and coaches etc leading to brake wave congestion , leading to more carbon emissions and the general unsuitability of the network led to the proposal being shelved. 

• Site Supporter

People who hog the middle lane on a motorway when they should be in the left hand lane - they should be taken from their cars, shot to death and their vehicle sold to pay for the inconvenience 

they are on a level with nonces as far as I’m concerned.

80% of drivers who insist on sitting in the middle lane on Motorways are women, they seem frightened of swapping lanes. A bigger problem is lorries driving side by side attempting to overtake mile after mile, holding up other traffic. on a four lane motorway surely lorries shouldn't be allowed in the third lane.