Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

25 MPH.

captainmed

15 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I have no issue with relatively slow driving in built up areas. I’ve had a kid run out of in front of me from between parked cars (luckily I was going slow enough to stop) and I was a passenger in my mums car on the way to junior school when a girl ran out from in front of a bus on Belmont Road - my mum was doing about 20mph but she still came over the bonnet and smashed the windscreen. Both still live with me to this day

Very good of you. Were they homeless?

2 hours ago, waffer cup 07 said:

80% of drivers who insist on sitting in the middle lane on Motorways are women, they seem frightened of swapping lanes. A bigger problem is lorries driving side by side attempting to overtake mile after mile, holding up other traffic. on a four lane motorway surely lorries shouldn't be allowed in the third lane.

Woman at work has argued, despite all the evidence that can presented to her, that the inside two lanes are for driving in, and you are entitled to pootle about in either, and the 3rd lane is the overtaking lane.

And she believes this, and does a steady 50 in the middle lane, because 'shes safer there'.

The vast majority of drivers dont speed. You get the same people, same type of person whom knows where all the speed cameras are, speeding through housing areas and over speed bumps continually, even if nipping to the shops, and on Sunday mornings too. To stop them doing this, ideally get more plain unmarked police cars catching these people. All the speed cameras that are out there have been installed because of a minority of people.They need to be catching these people doing u-turns everywhere they want, also.

These speed bumps, when they speed up even faster as they approach them, it doesnt affect the vehicle, its only when you are driving slowly that you get the bump.

Also, in my opinion, if people want to do 60 mph on the motorway that is totally fine. Anyone who wants to go faster, and those whom go faster than the speed allowed, well why should they put other peoples lives at risk whom choose to drive at a safe speed. There is no need to drive excessively fast, set off earlier and you can drive at a speed that doesnt put others at risk. Trouble is that whether some people are early, on time or late, they drive dangerously and tailgate others whom dont wish to be put at risk of what can easily be a very serious accident.

Edited by overseas
Additional paragraph

4 minutes ago, overseas said:

The vast majority of drivers dont speed. You get the same people, same type of person whom knows where all the speed cameras are, speeding through housing areas and over speed bumps continually, even if nipping to the shops, and on Sunday mornings too. To stop them doing this, ideally get more plain unmarked police cars catching these people. All the speed cameras that are out there have been installed because of a minority of people.They need to be catching these people doing u-turns everywhere they want, also.

These speed bumps, when they speed up even faster as they approach them, it doesnt affect the vehicle, its only when you are driving slowly that you get the bump.

You might not feel it as much but it'll fuck up your suspension. 

4 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

You might not feel it as much but it'll fuck up your suspension. 

Yes it does, but they dont feel it, and those that do it dont care about that, and lots are too ignorant to know.

However, a speed bump only deters slow driving,  if you go really fast it doesnt affect the handling.

I am seeing, and have been for a few years, I am seeing people regularly doing 60 mph through housing estates, and over the speed bumps. I occasionally see some I estimate at 70 mph. And there are people walkingalong the pavements and crossing the roads behind cars while they do it. I look around when I see this happening and no-one even cares about it!

Edited by overseas
additional paragraph.

27 minutes ago, overseas said:

Yes it does, but they dont feel it, and those that do it dont care about that, and lots are too ignorant to know.

However, a speed bump only deters slow driving,  if you go really fast it doesnt affect the handling.

I am seeing, and have been for a few years, I am seeing people regularly doing 60 mph through housing estates, and over the speed bumps. I occasionally see some I estimate at 70 mph. And there are people walkingalong the pavements and crossing the roads behind cars while they do it. I look around when I see this happening and no-one even cares about it!

Doing 20mph over a hump you'll be right .Engineers have to design roads to the 85th percentile ie the vast majority.

There will always be knob heads at either end of the scale. it's impossible to stop these people as there's always going to be cunts

The most successful form of slowing traffic down is chicanes but they reduce available space for parking in estates and so are nigh on impossible to get backing to put in. Even though anyone parking on the road is strictly speaking obstructing the highway.

If you slow down a bit as you are approaching a speed bump, and then speed up, the suspension rides over it. Speed bumps are a problem for cars at slower speeds like 25 mph. I know there are many people seeing what I see out there. 60 mph down 20 and 30 zones, regularly, theres not just me seeing it, its happening everywhere. And doing U-turns from nowhere on a main road is getting very bad now also.

41 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Surprised you know so much about how traffic calming works, please teach me more. 

I am describing what I see out there, nothing else. You prob do traffic calming for council, I am talking about what is going on, and it is, and we all see it.

This man in the video above is riding straight over them without stopping. The thing to do is to slow down as you are approaching, and then as you hit it, speed up again over it and it lessens the bang ( than it would to just fly over it ). Yes there is always a bump but you can fly over the speed bumps at speed. Those that doing 60 are racing betweeen the speed bumps and then breaking as they approach, and then speeding over them. The ones that do it, they dont care if they get a bump or not. As this man shows, the bump aint too bad.

There are some bumps that are really nasty and wreck a car. I hear also stories of some bumps where people say they are illegal speed bumps because of the size, but maybe thats not true.

The thing for sure, is that those people who speed about up and down the road, it doesnt stop them, as we all see. And that they are a big nuisance to the people who dont speed and have to keep going through the motions. I once broke a spring on one and I was doing 15 mph over it. In fact speed bumps have caused plenty of damage to my car and I drive slowly over them.

Edited by overseas

2 hours ago, overseas said:

I am describing what I see out there, nothing else. You prob do traffic calming for council, I am talking about what is going on, and it is, and we all see it.

Ah so the old anecdotes are more relevant than the years of research into these things. 

If people are prepared to fuck up their suspension for the sake of driving fast there really is fuck all to be done. They might not feel the bump as much but their car certainly will. 

6 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Ah so the old anecdotes are more relevant than the years of research into these things. 

If people are prepared to fuck up their suspension for the sake of driving fast there really is fuck all to be done. They might not feel the bump as much but their car certainly will. 

Yes, this is what I am saying, those that do it dont care. They mostly speed up to around 60 between them and then drive slowly over them at the optimal speed for a bump. We all suffer because of the few that do it. There are some roads that I dont drive down now because its that bad with bumps, and I drive over them slowly.

Edited by overseas

3 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

We have those "table-top" type speed bumps on our estate - long fuckers with steep fronts

Mrs Manc has blown two shock absorbers hitting them too fast

She wonders why I won't add her to my insurance.....

She might have been putting her make up on. She cant be expected to do that AND watch for speed bumps.

• Site Supporter
On 23/01/2019 at 17:51, Nowack said:

Can someone explain why they drive around with fog lights on when it’s not even misty? Someone must know as it’s every other car doing it. 

Makes me laugh when visibility gets down to a couple of hundred yards and all the foglights go on...

Like they really EVER look two hundred yards beyond their car bonnet when it's perfectly clear.