Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

78 Promotion

Zico

• Moderators

there's this exhibition on at Manchester Art Gallery - pics of Manc and surrounding area by some bloke called Martin Parr

http://manchesterartgallery.org/exhibitions-and-events/exhibition/martin-parr/

went at the weekend, in amongst all his pics are these two from the 78 promotion season - well before my time (I was 1 at the time) but good pics - love that one of the town hall steps

there's also some pics of Yates Wine Lodge in the 80s but didn't bother taking a pic of those

tCvzHco.jpg

rniQ8aR.jpg

39 minutes ago, Spider said:

I really really really really miss Burnden Park.

couldn't have put it better myself. Maybe a couple more reallys.

I'll be on both of those somewhere as a nipper, knee high to an Oztumer so doubt I'd find myself. Still got some grass from the pitch invasion after the Fulham game.

Remember Ian Greaves having a bit of a dig about attendances at the town hall square celebration - something like "you're all here now!".

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Didn’t go to the celebrations in the town centre, bad decision was that, still regret that to this day. I’m going to have to see that exhibition. 

they're the only 2 Wanderers pics, I think, there are others of Bolton though - a few of all the Yates Wine Lodges in the region including Chorley and Blackpool - but mostly Manchester

it's free though, and passes an hour or so 

7 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

With out the Rose tinted specs on Burnden was a shit hole. 

But it was our shit hole evennif we were still there I doubt we'd get anywhere near the atmosphere the good times generated. 

You're right of course but whenever I see Craven Cottage I always think of what might have been if things had worked out different timing wise.

Like others I was at the game but for some reason didn't make the Town Centre

24 minutes ago, Walkden White said:

You're right of course but whenever I see Craven Cottage I always think of what might have been if things had worked out different timing wise.

Like others I was at the game but for some reason didn't make the Town Centre

Last time I was at Craven Cottage that was also a shit hole ( that was about 15 years ago) not been since, what have they done to improve the place

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

Last time I was at Craven Cottage that was also a shit hole ( that was about 15 years ago) not been since, what have they done to improve the place

They have guys walking around with 'Ghostbuster' type backpacks that deliver pints in no time at all, it's fucking ace & saves any queuing up.

6 hours ago, tyldesley_white said:

Probably not a lot apart from one reasonable stand but what I meant was they have manged to keep their old ground and provided seating capacity of 25k for the prem.

Within a relatively short time of us spending £35m on our out of town spaceship the supermarket was empty and railway line remains gone meaning redevelopment would have been possible. 

• Members
13 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I'm on both those pics.......somewhere.

The sea of bodies in the packed out Burnden Terrace says it all.

And it was like that for every single match :D

Ditto. I would gladly trade in our European jollies to return to days like that at the incomparable Burnden Park.

15 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

If i could go back in time + watch 3 games again "Live" at the stadium, my first choice would be Boltons promotion match at Blackburn in 1978

Next would be watching England winning the World Cup in 1966

The 3rd would be Bolton v Reading at Wembley in 1995.

Lucky enough to have been at 2 of them.not born in 1966

The Blackburn away game I only got to because a Blackburn fan (ST holder from Darwen)who had a caravan opposite us on a holiday site took me when my dad couldn't. He said  'can't let a Bolton fan miss this'. I was 9 at time,Think I appreciate that gesture now more than ever. What a guy 

I was stood on the Burden Terrace that day and legged it across at the final whistle, the police just stood and watched while thousands ran on, so more than likely on that picture too.

The day on the town hall steps what the team and Ian Greaves was brilliant. Many stood on the roof covering the doorway of WH Smiths, I thought it would collapse.

Great scenes and will always give me a lump in my throat.

I might be wrong on this but I reckon that picture on the town hall steps was about 6pm after the Fulham game , and not at the Official reception ? There were fantastic scenes going up Manchester Road after that game and I am sure the biggest mob of lads you've ever seen ended up congregating on the town hall steps to carry on celebrating . Am sure the town hall steps were fenced off on the night of the civic reception ? 

48 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

I might be wrong on this but I reckon that picture on the town hall steps was about 6pm after the Fulham game , and not at the Official reception ? There were fantastic scenes going up Manchester Road after that game and I am sure the biggest mob of lads you've ever seen ended up congregating on the town hall steps to carry on celebrating . Am sure the town hall steps were fenced off on the night of the civic reception ? 

I think the town hall steps were used a few times after games that season. I remember us beating Palace 2-0 on a Tuesday night in front of 26,000 and the steps were packed after the match. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Benny The Ball said:

would make more sense that they were from the same day 

and would the official reception not see the step area roped off for players and important people to stand on - that's what they did in 95 anyway