Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

78 Promotion

Zico

I was at both.  Remember Jim McDonough doing a magnificent save to stop the ball going wide for a corner.  I was in the Paddock that day.   Also remember McDonough singing Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats & Dogs on the Town Hall Steps, changed the lyrics though about him signing for us from Rotherham.

Sorry, i wasnt on the steps, but was at the civic reception

Edited by Breightmet Boy
Mistake

Never seen that picture on the town hall steps before absolutely brilliant .If you study the picture there doesnt look anyone over 30 .

Not a chance that lot would have got anywhere near the steps on civic reception day .....I must have gone to the pub to celebrate , pity I wish I could say I was there!

4 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I might be wrong on this but I reckon that picture on the town hall steps was about 6pm after the Fulham game , and not at the Official reception ? There were fantastic scenes going up Manchester Road after that game and I am sure the biggest mob of lads you've ever seen ended up congregating on the town hall steps to carry on celebrating . Am sure the town hall steps were fenced off on the night of the civic reception ? 

Yeh i reckon you could be correct.

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yeh i reckon you could be correct.

The official town hall reception had the steps fenced off, that must be after the match. 

I ran on the pitch at full time against fulham, it was fabulous . I'd been on the pitch at ewood when the whole of the Darwen end scrambled over the walls at full time .  

Only ever been on the pitch twice since .

PNE  promotion , strolled on after all the commotion just to say I'd been on the burnden pitch . I remember PNE fans setting fires to all the ticker tape on the embankment .

Last season versus forest because some of the old 'uns near me went on . 

Martin Parr did a great pic behind the lever end. Supporters walking down towards the Burnden paddock with the lever end on one side and the terraced houses on the other side. The Yates wine lodge is a cracking social documentary pic . 

7 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I might be wrong on this but I reckon that picture on the town hall steps was about 6pm after the Fulham game , and not at the Official reception ? There were fantastic scenes going up Manchester Road after that game and I am sure the biggest mob of lads you've ever seen ended up congregating on the town hall steps to carry on celebrating . Am sure the town hall steps were fenced off on the night of the civic reception ? 

Yeh, that's my thought as well. Been waiting all this time to see a picture of the Town Hall after the match. I remember people on the roof of the shops opposite taking pics, but despite mentioning it on here a few times I never got a response showing a pic from that day (as opposed to the civic reception).

Can prints of those pics be bought I wonder??

Oh, and I was on the pitch as well :-)

On 22/01/2019 at 15:26, Breightmet Boy said:

Also remember McDonough singing Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats & Dogs on the Town Hall Steps, changed the lyrics though about him signing for us from Rotherham.

Sorry, i wasnt on the steps, but was at the civic reception

17 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Didn't Jim McDonagh sing a song into the mike?

As already mentioned

On 22/01/2019 at 15:15, Mr Grey said:

I was there, 12 years old with a broken leg sat between two blue reliant robins..... embarrassing, although i didn't think so at the time.

Bizarrely I was also 12 with a broken leg that year.

And that year is why I will take  "We Are The Champions" by Queen to my grave

Along with "The Air That I Breath" by The Hollies that was always playing in my first full season at Burnden

Songs that I don't particularly like but remind me of walking on the The Burnden Terrace pre-match

13 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Good God, I remember the Paddock doing that in a way that still makes me tingle; only bettered by the Paddock doing "oh when the Whites..." with rhythmic clapping that just on a few occasions resonated with the whole bloody structure of the stand and whole fucker would shake. Or seemed to anyway.

• Site Supporter

I was in the Embankment for the Fulham game and, towards the end of the game, as everyone made their way down to the front, a copper turned round and told us, "No way is anyone getting through my gate!"

So we went over that fucking big spiked fence... Copper then opened the gate (cunt!)

10 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Along with "The Air That I Breath" by The Hollies that was always playing in my first full season at Burnden

Songs that I don't particularly like but remind me of walking on the The Burnden Terrace pre-match

I always like to think that Freddie Mercury wrote "We are The Champions " with Ian Greaves and us fans in mind -  afterall it was only released during that 77/78 promotion season , so we were very much the pioneers in making it into a Football Anthem 

Music associations with particular games / eras is an interesting discussion in itself 

Its not often on the radio these days but whenever I hear Manhattan Transfer singing " Chanson D'Amour " I am immediately taken back to half time on a packed away terrace at a night game at Burnley circa 1977 when most of the Wanderers fans spontaneously sang along ............. 

13 hours ago, MickyD said:

I was in the Embankment for the Fulham game and, towards the end of the game, as everyone made their way down to the front, a copper turned round and told us, "No way is anyone getting through my gate!"

So we went over that fucking big spiked fence... Copper then opened the gate (cunt!)

Also on the Embankment that day ...must have been near you as I remember a copper not opening the gate and some climbing the fence. Hell of a crush at the front and was more swept through the gate ripping my watch off my wrist in the process when it was finally opened. Managed to keep my scarf tied to the other wrist though ;-)

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Andydee said:

Also on the Embankment that day ...must have been near you as I remember a copper not opening the gate and some climbing the fence. Hell of a crush at the front and was more swept through the gate ripping my watch off my wrist in the process when it was finally opened. Managed to keep my scarf tied to the other wrist though ;-)

If I remember correctly it was at the gate closest to the middle segregation fences, right behind the goals.