Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Reading

DomRepWanderer

5 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

Literally every home game I’ve seen this season, last season, and even most matches in League 1, against shocking teams like Chesterfield, they would come to our place, in front of all the home supporters, and they would outplay us. 

Agree with your post pal and this bit particularly resonated with me.  I remember that day well. £5 to get in and we had 23000 on against a side on their way to the conference.

With Madine out injured I watched through my fingers as we kept twatting long high balls out of Alfs reach and kept surrendering possession. Chesterfield dominated us that day and should have won since Parky did nothing to change from his tried and trusted formula. He did well to get us up that year but games like that exposed his limitations

14 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Agree with your post pal and this bit particularly resonated with me.  I remember that day well. £5 to get in and we had 23000 on against a side on their way to the conference.

With Madine out injured I watched through my fingers as we kept twatting long high balls out of Alfs reach and kept surrendering possession. Chesterfield dominated us that day and should have won since Parky did nothing to change from his tried and trusted formula. He did well to get us up that year but games like that exposed his limitations

Had a scroll through our results that season earlier when thinking about the dross served up. There's great memories from many of those games but not many to do with the football.

In fact I remember a few calling for Parky out after Oxford had dominated us at home and then later Bristol Rovers and AFC Wimbledon took points off us at home in successive games. For me that was far too early to be calling for a manager's head but it did show how poor our performances were again and again.

Lost count of the number of times we took absolute hordes away all over only to get beat often without even looking like scoring. And you wonder how many will go again next time...

If we carry on at our current rate of scoring, we will finish on 30 goals for the season. That'll be the lowest total ever in a 24 team second-tier. 31 years, 744 teams.

It would take this season's team 153 games to reach the number of goals we scored when Todd took us up. That'd be approximately sometime in October 2021.

Nobody can seriously be using the 'What do you expect, Barcelona?' card.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

If we carry on at our current rate of scoring, we will finish on 30 goals for the season. That'll be the lowest total ever in a 24 team second-tier. 31 years, 744 teams.

It would take this season's team 153 games to reach the number of goals we scored when Todd took us up. That'd be approximately sometime in October 2021.

Nobody can seriously be using the 'What do you expect, Barcelona?' card.

Kinell Tom; that's joyous reading! 

If he is still here in October 2021, there'll be tumbleweed rolling round the stands, with the kiosks resembling the Carlsberg customer complaints office.

14 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Me too, that bit really brought it back to me how bad we were in so many games.  Its just weird that we ended up being "better" than all but Sheff U that season, when I didn't see more than 2 or 3 teams that appeared to play worse than us in terms of being co-ordinated and having a clear plan of attacking as a team.  The other thing that brings our lack of quality home, is when I see the goals from Divs 1 and 2.  Genuinely half of them couldn't be scored by us, we don't have the personnel to strike a ball like the goals you see scored week after week, really cracking shots from distance or cool, composed finishes by strikers that are born to score goals at a decent level.  Yet we know that Oz is well capable of scoring those goals, and so is ALF, OK not 20 a season in the championship but half a dozen each would have kept us up with a proper manager.

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

At the end of the day, we all pay money, largely for entertainment. We want to be entertained by the club we’ve invested in. And right nose Bolton couldn’t be further away from an exciting, entertaining club to watch. And that’s also down to the manager 

Now here's where folk differ when we talk about entertainment value. 

If you're there for the entertainment then surely losing every game 4-5 would really float your boat. 

Personally, I couldn't give a flying fuck about edge-of-the-seat football. Result first then entertainment.

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Now here's where folk differ when we talk about entertainment value. 

If you're there for the entertainment then surely losing every game 4-5 would really float your boat. 

Personally, I couldn't give a flying fuck about edge-of-the-seat football. Result first then entertainment.

Except that under Parkinson's tenure we're getting neither.

Irrespective of entertainment levels, for me its about knowing you have a chance to come back from a goal down. To see a bit of a see saw game occasionally. Even in Div 1, if a Parky team is losing especially away, that's generally how it stays. Without stats to back it up, we must have the worst record in the last couple of years for that not just of 92 league teams but probably non league and Scottish too. That's what a dull manager looks like.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Irrespective of entertainment levels, for me its about knowing you have a chance to come back from a goal down. To see a bit of a see saw game occasionally. Even in Div 1, if a Parky team is losing especially away, that's generally how it stays. Without stats to back it up, we must have the worst record in the last couple of years for that not just of 92 league teams but probably non league and Scottish too. That's what a dull manager looks like.

we came back and scored 5 against walsall

they were even more shit than we are