Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Reading

DomRepWanderer

14 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just watched it, looks like he took a swipe of the ball and fell over. Looks very soft to say the least

Thought at the time he'd caught our guy on his back swing. Not sure what Hobbs could've done to stop that happening. 

8 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

You have obviously not been on when a real 6000 crowd were on!.....but good point about Connell he was tiring .

The main problem was our crossing which was dire even the lad Connell couldnt get his corners past the first defender.As for lucky to get a point I thought their goalie made three excellent saves & given all the negetivity about the place a point was deserved

Unfortunately we are imploding as a club & I cant do any more arguing in the pub after the game with folk who dont turn up (I know its their right)but they fuckin moan incessantly dont let stuff go but havent seen the fuckin game!

How many do you think were on? And as I’ve been most games since 75 I’ve seen plenty of 6k and below. 

I’m amazed at the amount saying it’s now becoming a chore? 

Fuck me it’s been a chore for 18 months if not more. Yes we were winning games in league 1 and the days were enjoyable knowing we’d probably get a result but the games were never ‘get me off my seat’ football 

18 months since we haven’t even been getting the results! 

Its gone well beyond a fucking chore now 

I’ve seen us in any location in any weather accepting any result and way of playing. But THIS is testing it. It’s fucking diabolical 

Edited by barrycowdrill

2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Fuck me it’s been a chore for 18 months if not more. Yes we were winning games in league 1 and the days were enjoyable knowing we’d probably get a result but the games were never ‘get me off my seat’ football 

Fully agree. I feel obligated to go because I've bought a season ticket but that's it.

6 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

I’ve seen us in any location in any weather accepting any result and way of playing. But THIS is testing it. It’s fucking diabolical 

I think we had plenty of games in league 1 where we turned it on.

clough and vela tearing teams apart.

being 3-0 by half time (port vale)

scrapping with sheff Utd and scunthorpe and winning.

I accepted the style of football when madine was here as it made sense and we were actually doing quite well all things considered. (In the championship)

The failure to adjust when madine went and it being clear Donaldson and magennis aren’t up to the task and still failing to adjust. That’s the worst part and what really grinds. 

14 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Fully agree. There were times we turned it on in L1 but for every Gillingham there was an Oxford or Bristol Rovers at home or Rochdale, Walsall, Chesterfield, Scunthorpe away where we looked utter dross. 

It is wank.

41 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Although the overall plight is bad - we do seem to have NO luck

You make your own luck if we’d had a right go played 2 up top and with some creativity in the middle of the park we might have been 2 up before the penalty. We are feared of our own shadow and PP is to blame for that playing fear football in EVERY game, even first half against Walsall. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

You make your own luck if we’d had a right go played 2 up top and with some creativity in the middle of the park we might have been 2 up before the penalty. 

Nailed it 

Could of easily accommodated 2 strikers, we played Reading not Leeds or Norwich.

shame as Donaldson imo would be good in a front 2

15 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

I think we had plenty of games in league 1 where we turned it on.

clough and vela tearing teams apart.

being 3-0 by half time (port vale)

scrapping with sheff Utd and scunthorpe and winning.

I accepted the style of football when madine was here as it made sense and we were actually doing quite well all things considered. (In the championship)

The failure to adjust when madine went and it being clear Donaldson and magennis aren’t up to the task and still failing to adjust. That’s the worst part and what really grinds. 

Ok aside from 2 or 3 performances in league 1 over the course of probably 100 games if not more it’s dross 

we then sold the biggest factor in that style of play working and what does he do? Nothing 

he’s not changed the style hasn’t changed he’s not modified anything when every man and his dog can see it doesn’t work

his idea of change is replacing 1 big shit lump up top for another one. The only time we played 2 up there and 2 wingers on their correct sides we scored fucking 5!!! 

He said at the beginning of the season the squad this year had much more quality. Well he’s negating any further quality these players have because they’re never on the fucking ball. 

I could run around for 90 mins chasing people down and leathering the ball 50 yard down the pitch for a tenth of what our lads are on. But it’s not their fault it’s that fucking dinosaurs 

I don't think it's a style thing with PP in that we aren't an out and out long ball team or even playing one up front. It's the fact that we never commit men forward and fill the box or support the lone striker. Midfielders never attack the box and get beyond the striker and this must be instructions. Hence no one ever looks like getting on the end of things.

Parky has said he has picked many attacking  type players on occasions which may be true but if they are all told to hold a defensive position it makes no difference.

Too often we worry about the opposition, how many times (particularly at home) if we had taken the game to the opposition would we have picked up more points ?

Playing 2 wingers with 1 striker last night, when we did get a cross in, we only had 1 to aim at - and no others supporting.

2 corners in the first 30 minutes didn't beat the first man (a sin - particularly given the amount of times we get the balls in the box) and that free kick from Taylor where he leathered it down the line and it went out of play - dear oh dear.  Surely just get the ball in the box.

Just bloody basics that we can't do

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Walkden White said:

I don't think it's a style thing with PP in that we aren't an out and out long ball team or even playing one up front. It's the fact that we never commit men forward and fill the box or support the lone striker. Midfielders never attack the box and get beyond the striker and this must be instructions. Hence no one ever looks like getting on the end of things.

Parky has said he has picked many attacking  type players on occasions which may be true but if they are all told to hold a defensive position it makes no difference.

Bang on. This is exactly what we were saying last night. He might as well play 2 up top & play the long ball but he doesn't even do that. Under FSA, at least we had Nolan, Stelios etc picking up the second ball when it went long. Now we don't have anybody who's able to commit that forward run. I really struggle to see what his plan is to win a game, and he never fucking changes from one game to the next, absolute fool.

A proper manager, would be looking at himself and his own team, looking how to improve

But Parky will blame everything externally, ie, the fans, the atmosphere, the cost of the reading squad.

The man is beyond delusional. The problem with our club, is that isn't just a 1 change that needs to happen, everything needs to change.

The manager is useless at this level, the owner, well we all know the job he's been doing so fantastically, working so hard in his yacht in Monaco, to find us investment, which he's been working so hard to do for almost 3 years now.

The squad, which is definitely not good enough, they are the biggest bunch of oversized, old(30+ average age), untechnical, slow players I've ever seen.

So Yeah, we've got a lot of issues. 1st thing I'd do, is get a fresh face in as manager. A David lee, anyone would be more entertaining than Parky. Re-group in league 1, get a new owner in with some investment and go again. 

What's disappointing to our fans, is that we took all the right steps forward, gained promotion, debts mostly cleared. Yet we've somehow taken such monumental steps backwards, making the last 2 years a complete waste of time. And that has all been down to the poor ownership by Ken, and horrendous managerial ability of Parky 

11 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

A proper manager, would be looking at himself and his own team, looking how to improve

But Parky will blame everything externally, ie, the fans, the atmosphere, the cost of the reading squad.

The man is beyond delusional. The problem with our club, is that isn't just a 1 change that needs to happen, everything needs to change.

The manager is useless at this level, the owner, well we all know the job he's been doing so fantastically, working so hard in his yacht in Monaco, to find us investment, which he's been working so hard to do for almost 3 years now.

The squad, which is definitely not good enough, they are the biggest bunch of oversized, old(30+ average age), untechnical, slow players I've ever seen.

So Yeah, we've got a lot of issues. 1st thing I'd do, is get a fresh face in as manager. A David lee, anyone would be more entertaining than Parky. Re-group in league 1, get a new owner in with some investment and go again. 

What's disappointing to our fans, is that we took all the right steps forward, gained promotion, debts mostly cleared. Yet we've somehow taken such monumental steps backwards, making the last 2 years a complete waste of time. And that has all been down to the poor ownership by Ken, and horrendous managerial ability of Parky 

What debts were cleared? None as far as I know. 

• Moderators

i still get where hes coming from packing midfield

but each time we lose, i think 'what if we had tried'

so, last night, they had miles better players in midfield and taking one of ours out wouldnt have helped one bit

but, i might be wrong

will never know