Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Maybe it's just me...

MickyD

• Site Supporter

Further to my earlier post about Virgin wanting £2.00 more for me to just have broadband instead of broadband plus phone, another seemingly barmy (to me) decision, this time by my daughter's car insurers.

Junior MissD and her boyfriend (A from-afar Chelsea supporter) decided to go down to Stamford Bridge to watch their recent FA Cup game against Sheff Wednesday. They got a good deal on corporate tickets and decided to drive down on Saturday and have a night in that there London, see the game on Sunday and then drive home. They were going in daughter's car but I thought it'd be a good idea to add him to her insurance as an extra driver.

Phoned the insurance and gave all the relevant details and, for the 48 hours required, was quoted £75.00. One sharp intake of of breath through clenched teeth later, I asked how much it'd be to add him to the insurance for the remaining 6 months of her policy.

£25.00

How the fuck do they come up with £75 for two days and £26 for about 180 days? Bloody madness, I tell thee!

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, stevieb said:

£50 admin fee, probably 

Watch out for pay per use insurers like Cuvva coming in the market for stuff like that. 

The £25 was the admin fee. So, in essence, we've added him for nothing at all given that changes during the policy term attract the fee.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Further to my earlier post about Virgin wanting £2.00 more for me to just have broadband instead of broadband plus phone, another seemingly barmy (to me) decision, this time by my daughter's car insurers.

Junior MissD and her boyfriend (A from-afar Chelsea supporter) decided to go down to Stamford Bridge to watch their recent FA Cup game against Sheff Wednesday. They got a good deal on corporate tickets and decided to drive down on Saturday and have a night in that there London, see the game on Sunday and then drive home. They were going in daughter's car but I thought it'd be a good idea to add him to her insurance as an extra driver.

Phoned the insurance and gave all the relevant details and, for the 48 hours required, was quoted £75.00. One sharp intake of of breath through clenched teeth later, I asked how much it'd be to add him to the insurance for the remaining 6 months of her policy.

£25.00

How the fuck do they come up with £75 for two days and £26 for about 180 days? Bloody madness, I tell thee!

Risk. Someone adding a driver for only a short period suggests that said person might not have faith in the driver being added. Doing so for a longer period tells an insurer that you are happy for them to be on your policy.

Not all insurers would necessarily look at it the same way. You can add people and actually reduce the cost of a policy. So it works both ways.