Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

39 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Todd’s promotion season is right up there with some of the best football I’ve ever seen us play.

Along with Coyle’s first full season. 

Mad eh?

Totally agree with that.

However, I once had a chat with Neil Cox who said Toddy was obsessed with playing good football to the point where he was happy with a defeat as long as we played the ‘right way’. 

Polar opposite to (a winner) Allardyce!

3 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Todd took over from Rioch, he oversaw relegation, then promotion, then relegation and then lost in the play offs to Watford.Allardyce came in and  with some cheap signings and excellent management transformed  Colin Todd's squad into achievers rather than failures.He was a Premier League manager, Todd wasn't

Before we have Colin Todd put in the same bracket as Charlie Wright , don't forget in the season of the Watford defeat he lost Thompson and Taggart before the season began , soon followed by Blake in October , and when he unearthed another Gem (for us) in gunnlaugsson he even had him sold from under his nose by January. 

Concerning the premier league relegation in 97/98 , I personally think if he had Neil Cox and Robbie Elliot fit for most of the season we would have stayed up , and let's be honest we weren't a million miles off staying up anyway and I think the team would have improved greatly if we had stayed up.

14 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Before we have Colin Todd put in the same bracket as Charlie Wright , don't forget in the season of the Watford defeat he lost Thompson and Taggart before the season began , soon followed by Blake in October , and when he unearthed another Gem (for us) in gunnlaugsson he even had him sold from under his nose by January. 

Concerning the premier league relegation in 97/98 , I personally think if he had Neil Cox and Robbie Elliot fit for most of the season we would have stayed up , and let's be honest we weren't a million miles off staying up anyway and I think the team would have improved greatly if we had stayed up.

Let’s not forget the £2.5m and £4m profits made from Jensen and Gudjohnsen in the year after his departure too. 

12 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I remember thinking when we moved into our spanking new stadium then signed Robbie Elliot - how we paying for all this?

I think we're paying for it now.

BWFC - born to be skint.

22 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I remember thinking when we moved into our spanking new stadium then signed Robbie Elliot - how we paying for all this?

I think we're paying for it now.

BWFC - born to be skint.

The stadium was always going to be an albatross around our necks , but how much would redeveloping burden have cost? , regarding players fees  they were more than recouped by the sales that have been mentioned in other posts.

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

What I would give for a Colin Todd type manager now, instead of this fucking inept clown.

A Colin Todd type manager wouldnt touch this shitstorm with a bargepole

5 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Played some great football in those seasons after premier league. And still couldn't get numbers through the door.

I remember a midweek match away to Huddersfield , we lost 3-2 I think but the football was brilliant and were very unlucky to lose.

6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I remember a midweek match away to Huddersfield , we lost 3-2 I think but the football was brilliant and were very unlucky to lose.

Aye remember that. Think Johansen and Holdworth scored. 

Went really close at the end. 

Fuckin ell ask me to go Huddersfield on a Tuesday night nowadays :D

7 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

I also remember around that time beating Palace at home live on Sky 3-0 and we were great. In fact most home games had quality and goals, they made it cheap tickets for Bradford on Boxing Day, sold out and it was an awful 0-0. Standard!

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Remember their manager running on the field at he end to carry the goalie off - he had an absolute blinder.

Doesn't seem to get mentioned ever but when staff and players don't get paid then I'm guessing PP isn't getting anything either. Guaranteed BSA would have wanted his money or these other potential saviours  like Warnock et al.

Ignoring the obvious "he's shut so shouldn't be getting paid" replies I honestly wonder how much it will turn out that when its all written down that PP kept it all together for us in spite of the financial situation and some players behaving like prima donnas.

13 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Was it 3-0 at half time? Battered them in the second half Goalie saved everything for them. Think there was a big turn out of bolton fans if I remember rightly 

11 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

I also remember around that time beating Palace at home live on Sky 3-0 and we were great. In fact most home games had quality and goals, they made it cheap tickets for Bradford on Boxing Day, sold out and it was an awful 0-0. Standard!

Yes it was a funny season  , we started well then had a wobble , then started chasing Sunderland down and then we went to shit , did we just scrape in the play offs ? . Mind you Steve Banks in the net didn' t help , he was wank.

4 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Yes it was a funny season  , we started well then had a wobble , then started chasing Sunderland down and then we went to shit , did we just scrape in the play offs ? . Mind you Steve Banks in the net didn' t help , he was wank.

Had to check results for that I always get the two Ipswich play off seasons mixed up. 

This one was scraped, not helped by losing at Bury which was also on Sky IIRC