Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Take Over

Kane57

Think the Chinese interest will evaporate unfortunately leaving a smaller consortium of  a more local interest with maybe an outside backer its all had to be done on the cheap given the huge cost/ debt issues & complications between Moonshift & Sweaty.

Just guessing of course.

16 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Think the Chinese interest will evaporate unfortunately leaving a smaller consortium of  a more local interest with maybe an outside backer its all had to be done on the cheap given the huge cost/ debt issues & complications between Moonshift & Sweaty.

Just guessing of course.

You're probably right, and usually I'm a right miserable cunt, but I am surprising myself with how glass half full I am about the current situation.... 

The question that keeps coming back to me about the Chinese is - Why are they back in the picture now if they're not interested? To still be sniffing around now, points to it being serious interest, heading over making there presence known in a highest bidder takes it all situation also strikes me as part of them showing there hand in this... Who can compete with them financially if they really want it? May mean they have a free run at it and perversely get it cheaper.

It's Bolton though ain't it and it'll end up kicking me in the nuts, and reverting me back to miserable cunt mode when Bassini wins the admin raffle... 

1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

Wonder how many clubs looked at us when we were riding the crest of a benefactor wave and said “wish we had one of those” 

and Rovers in walkers day. 

Everyone slagging Salford off currently as they’re benefiting from relatively deep pockets. Every club in the football league is looking for it. You enjoy it when you have it. Moan like fuck and look enviously on when others do. 

PNE- decent gesture and I like the way they go about their transfer business. Scouting players from the lower leagues who can step up. They put their faith in that and get rewarded. Everything else about them can do one. Nothing club 

Aye I can’t say my wolves supporting egg man is too depressed about the day in the sun they are enjoying at the minute 

21 minutes ago, DLH said:

You're probably right, and usually I'm a right miserable cunt, but I am surprising myself with how glass half full I am about the current situation.... 

The question that keeps coming back to me about the Chinese is - Why are they back in the picture now if they're not interested? To still be sniffing around now, points to it being serious interest, heading over making there presence known in a highest bidder takes it all situation also strikes me as part of them showing there hand in this... Who can compete with them financially if they really want it? May mean they have a free run at it and perversely get it cheaper.

It's Bolton though ain't it and it'll end up kicking me in the nuts, and reverting me back to miserable cunt mode when Bassini wins the admin raffle... 

The one ray of hope that we have with regard to the vetting of any potential bid led by Bassini is that Shaun Harvey will have by then stepped down as Chief Executive of the EFL  -  he steps down at the end of the season  , which I assume to be after the last of this seasons play off games. 

I am just hoping that given what has gone on to date with Bassini will prompt  the EFL to use the opportunity when they appoint a new chief executive , who will be in situ should Bassini bid for the club , to at the very least tighten up on the process as to their "fit and proper " persons test , so that  he falls at that hurdle. 

The attached article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47278842  concludes by saying that the senior EFL clubs will be looking for a replacement they feel acts more in their interests . 

Surely preventing the likes of Anderson and Bassini bidding and owning clubs and damaging the brand that is the EFL should be in everyone's interests . 

Edited by Benny The Ball

1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

The John Galt character was clearly a bite back to the Howard Roark one. Not sure if they’re sworn enemies or the ying and yang in said books but it was definitely a conscious ploy to draw battle lines 

leads me to think JG was inside KA’s circle 

There's no relationship between the characters in the novels, each of which is really a vehicle for Ayn Rand to outline her objectivist philosophy.

If you know Atlas Shrugged however it's quite amusing reading people on here asking 'Who is John Galt' as this question is central to the plot and is repeated ad infinitum. 

1 minute ago, Benny The Ball said:

The one ray of hope that we have with regard to the vetting of any potential bid led by Bassini is that Shaun Harvey will have by then stepped down as Chief Executive of the EFL  -  he steps down at the end of the season  , which I assume to be after the last of this seasons play off games. 

I am just hoping that given what has gone on to date with Bassini will prompt  the EFL to use the opportunity when they appoint a new chief executive , who will be in situ should Bassini bid for the club , to at the very least tighten up on the process as to their "fit and proper " persons test , so that  he falls at that hurdle. 

The attached article https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47278842  concludes by saying that the senior EFL clubs will be looking for a replacement they feel acts more in their interests . 

Surely preventing the likes of Anderson and Bassini bidding and owning clubs and damaging the brand that is the EFL should is in everyone's interests . 

I think the law of the land ties the EFL's hands in regard to how strict they can make the criteria for owning a club. Even if there was the desire to implement a greater degree of scrutiny, the moment someone is prevented from selling their asset to someone else there's a chance they'll be heading to the High Court and alleging restraint of trade. 

4 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

There's no relationship between the characters in the novels, each of which is really a vehicle for Ayn Rand to outline her objectivist philosophy.

If you know Atlas Shrugged however it's quite amusing reading people on here asking 'Who is John Galt' as this question is central to the plot and is repeated ad infinitum. 

Just a shit Keyser Sosse. 

33 minutes ago, DLH said:

My doubt about the Chinese bid is to question why they would wait for admin before buying us when the short term financial saving is small (to them ) compared to the longer term damage that admin causes.

The only way to make money in football is to get into the premier league, but by waiting for admin & the points deduction,transfer embargo & all round damage to the club, next season is likely to see us drop into the 4th tier or, at best, just survive in the 3rd tier, making the riches of the premier league even further away.

10 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

My doubt about the Chinese bid is to question why they would wait for admin before buying us when the short term financial saving is small (to them ) compared to the longer term damage that admin causes.

The only way to make money in football is to get into the premier league, but by waiting for admin & the points deduction,transfer embargo & all round damage to the club, next season is likely to see us drop into the 4th tier or, at best, just survive in the 3rd tier, making the riches of the premier league even further away.

Not sure the financial difference is "small" - and doesn't matter how much money you've got - its how much you want to spend.
Also I suspect any buyer might have found negotiating a deal with the club in a mess and with an absent owner very difficult. Admin will sort out the books and leave a clear offering for any buyer. Its clear that Ken was hiding all sorts and due diligence was a nightmare for prospective buyers and then even if they held their nose and went in semi-blind they'd have that mess to sort before moving on. 

3 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

is an extra year in league one really worth saving X number of millions?

Depends how you look at it. If you lose £6M income per year (as KA claimed in L1) then you can argue that if you save more than £6M its worth it. And we've heard savings in admin up to £20M.

You also have to consider that for all any buyer knows we could receive up to 12 points deduction for the Brentford game. They could have spent the extra 10-20M to save admin and probably more to sort out the mess themselves - and then been docked 12 points regardless. 

How many people would a buyer need to employ initially to sort out the finances - probably a lot of people with experience which also adds to the initial cost. 

• Site Supporter

My view is, the Chinese are investing billions in and around NW. Manchester Airport, Liverpool etc. The ground, training grounds and ind land nearby are all perfect for further investment and money making opportunites. Infrastructure is already in position, motorway on the doorstep and even a train station, and theres a hotel.

The buy the club cheap, then have a foothold to work on the rest and develop as they see the opportunity to get their money into UK, the football club is scondary them, but will ultimately benefit us.

If they get us back to premier league in x years, they also make money on that side.

But what the fuck do i know.

27 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Because they no longer have to deal with KA... You can picture it if you think long enough...

(Chairman's office Unibol Stadium, Phone rings, Lee answers)

Lee: Dad, that was Paul Aldridge, some rich Chinese group want to come and have a chat about buying the club.

KA: Super son, tell him to add another £20m to the price

Lee: Ok Dad. Can I get some more pocket money dad, Kathy needs her left tit re-inflating and her botox has melted 

KA: Of course son, thinking about it lets add £25m I just googled them and they stinking rich we can proper cream the bastards. 

Chinese: Whys the price different to the prospectus that was sent to the city

Lee: Kathy needs a new left t...

KA: We made a small profit, my business genius has turned the club round from making losses to profit making, and we own everything with very little debt

Chinese: Don't talk shit, don't take us for a ride, you're a cunt

(Chinese exit stage left)

Like I say, I'm being very optimistic at the moment, so cannot see the  EFL holding us to an embargo if a potential buyer challenges it... they may think that by chucking cash at a league one campaign you can overcome a minus 12 start... given our recent history its possible.... 18 points clear of 3rd... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Sheffield_United_F.C._season 

4 minutes ago, DLH said:

Because they no longer have to deal with KA... You can picture it if you think long enough...

(Chairman's office Unibol Stadium, Phone rings, Lee answers)

Lee: Dad, that was Paul Aldridge, some rich Chinese group want to come and have a chat about buying the club.

KA: Super son, tell him to add another £20m to the price

Lee: Ok Dad. Can I get some more pocket money dad, Kathy needs her left tit re-inflating and her botox has melted 

KA: Of course son, thinking about it lets add £25m I just googled them and they stinking rich we can proper cream the bastards. 

Chinese: Whys the price different to the prospectus that was sent to the city

Lee: Kathy needs a new left t...

KA: We made a small profit, my business genius has turned the club round from making losses to profit making, and we own everything with very little debt

Chinese: Don't talk shit, don't take us for a ride, you're a cunt

(Chinese exit stage left)

Like I say, I'm being very optimistic at the moment, so cannot see the  EFL holding us to an embargo if a potential buyer challenges it... they may think that by chucking cash at a league one campaign you can overcome a minus 12 start... given our recent history its possible.... 18 points clear of 3rd... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Sheffield_United_F.C._season 

You can't chuck cash in league one the rules do not permit it. And furthermore, we will be under embargo. 

9 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

You can't chuck cash in league one the rules do not permit it. And furthermore, we will be under embargo. 

& even by the most optimistic report i've seen, we won't be functioning as a proper football club until the end of June, meaning that we're miles behind everyone else in assembling a squad, with the better players already signed up.

The club isn’t being bought for its footballing side. It’ll be a nice healthy bonus if the team is successful and gets back to the ‘promised land’ 

but right here, right now, it’s interesting people for everything but. 

My figues May be slightly skewed here but prior to the sale of the car park and Euxton the ‘assets’ were valued at circa £80m? 

Take say £10m off that now, if your buying a company for £40m and it’s immediatly worth £70m to you then it’s an exciting proposition. What you then do with those assets to maximise ROI is up to you. 

The small matter of a lower league football team attached  is something that’s a bit of an inconvenience. And low on the priority list initially. If it starts an upturn then you can speculate to accumulate further. It that then pays off... 

kerching!!! 

Edited by barrycowdrill

14 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Wrong , you're pessimism isn't going to spoil my optimism today...  There's an open invitation to chuck cash at it in terms of SCMP, but you need to evidence its to grow the club not line your pockets. Key is the definition of Football Fortune Income... State Grid of China Stadium anyone? Also cash injections are allowable as turnover in the Football Fortune Income.... as long as they don't need to be paid back with interest... 

Furthermore the embargo... we shall see won't we, if the EFL deny a purchase of the club because of an embargo, then how do they explain to the world that they let a club die because a potential rich buyer walked away because they wouldn't let them invest? 

18 minutes ago, DLH said:

Furthermore the embargo... we shall see won't we, if the EFL deny a purchase of the club because of an embargo, then how do they explain to the world that they let a club die because a potential rich buyer walked away because they wouldn't let them invest? 

Whether this is the eternal optimist in me or not I don’t know. But, I’m swaying to the side of agreeing with you 

yes the EFL have penalties. Embargo being one in addition to the -12. As well as potential points deductions for failing to fulfil fixtures. 

However i think any potential buyers would be and if they’re not should be, saying any further penalties will jeopardise our buy out. We’re happy to take now with the -12 but that’s it 

maybe the EFL will bow and suspend the embargo based on review of how we go on over the next 12 months? I don’t know. Just speculating 

but, will they want to be ultimately responsible for the fall through of a sale and possible winding up because they worked to the letter of their laws? I hope not. They have had enough shit about this as it is 

11 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Whether this is the eternal optimist in me or not I don’t know. But, I’m swaying to the side of agreeing with you 

yes the EFL have penalties. Embargo being one in addition to the -12. As well as potential points deductions for failing to fulfil fixtures. 

However i think any potential buyers would be and if they’re not should be, saying any further penalties will jeopardise our buy out. We’re happy to take now with the -12 but that’s it 

maybe the EFL will bow and suspend the embargo based on review of how we go on over the next 12 months? I don’t know. Just speculating 

but, will they want to be ultimately responsible for the fall through of a sale and possible winding up because they worked to the letter of their laws? I hope not. They have had enough shit about this as it is 

They do occasionally show common sense.... that's what I'm clinging too! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47899636